Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #1

ram mega cab towing

We're considering a new Ram 2500 mega cab 4wd to tow our 5th wheel. All of the ones on the lot have 20" rims and tires rather than the original 18"s. We had to adjust the hitch on our current 2009 Ram 4wd as the camper came into contact with the top of the bed so I am concerned with the 20" tire setup. Has anyone had any experience with the mega 4wd cab? It is a concern or am I worried for nothing?
TIA
Pete
pryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Tape measure...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #3

I have a 2011 3500 mega 4x4.we do tow about 4" nose high. No hitting or any other problems at all. Also we have the 17" tires.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
Site Team

The 2500 MegaCab 4WD suffers from low payload, so you'll need to be careful about the pin weight as well as the bed height. Also the 20" wheel/tire combo reduces the towing capacity.

The 20" wheels and tires add about 1½" to the already high bed height. My 2WD MegaCab bed is about 51" to the top of the bed so it's not a problem for the RV we have. 4X4 adds a few inches to that and the 20" wheel/tire combo adds a little more. So you're probably about 54 to 56" to top of bed.

You don't say what engine is in the vehicles that you looked at, but that makes a big difference in towing and payload also.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #5

Sorry, should have said we planning on a diesel. We have the 6.7 now and love the power and mileage. Anyway, just checked and my current bed is 57". The payload on the Mega is around 2030# and towing capability is 15,540. The Ram charts do not differentiate for tire size, just transmission type and bed size. Our camper is well under those figures fully loaded. Thanks for the info on your truck.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #6

The Mega Cab only comes with a short bed. Most 5th wheels will require a slider so you don't damage the cab.
Once you put weight on the bed the truck will come down.
I've been reading in this forum that most newer Rams don't require air bags or extra springs like the other brand trucks. But I am 1"-2" higher than level. That's with the truck empty, no people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #7

Keep in mind that with the 20 inch tires your selection for replacement tires will be very limited. If you like Michelin then you're out of luck unless you put on the lightweights...forget about getting an LT or an E-rated tire from them. Same way with other name brands.

But, you can always get china bombs.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Keep in mind that with the 20 inch tires your selection for replacement tires will be very limited. If you like Michelin then you're out of luck unless you put on the lightweights...forget about getting an LT or an E-rated tire from them. Same way with other name brands.

But, you can always get china bombs.
Not to mention they are more expensive and hard to find in stock in an emergency. The OEM Firestone Transformer? tires come in two variations cheap and better. My camping buddy just replaced the rears with 14,000 miles. Tire warranty helped very little do to "pro rating". They were the cheap 18" tires.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #9

I agree with the Firestone tire comments. We had them on our '98 and got 16K miles on them. Warranty was worthless once they applied "list" price of the tires. With all the comments and my own concerns the 20s are out. Any other experience with the truck itself. Does the mega cab with a diesel handle okay? I already know I'll need a new slider hitch which is another cost. I've always had a long bed but most of the rigs I've seen with 5th wheels have a short bed. Thanks to all for your comments, all are appreciated.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryner View Post
I agree with the Firestone tire comments. We had them on our '98 and got 16K miles on them. Warranty was worthless once they applied "list" price of the tires. With all the comments and my own concerns the 20s are out. Any other experience with the truck itself. Does the mega cab with a diesel handle okay? I already know I'll need a new slider hitch which is another cost. I've always had a long bed but most of the rigs I've seen with 5th wheels have a short bed. Thanks to all for your comments, all are appreciated.

We have had two mega cabs one SRW and now DRW, there great trucks. The DRW does tow a 5th wheel better than a SRW and only $1200 more in cost. But I'm sure all DRW truck tow great.
We did get the bed designed for the quick hitch install/ removal. This was well worth the extra cost.
We also got the camera on the brake light above the cab which helps with hooking up the 5th wheel, another great option if your doing a 5th wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #11

I tow my 5er with a 2015 RAM 2500 mega with the 20" wheels. The 5er was riding a couple of inches nose high when I first got the truck but not bad. I can't leave things alone so I eventually had to level it.
I didn't want to sacrifice any bed clearance so I added a Lippert Correct Track kit to the 5er. This kit allows for easy axle alignment but also raises them by 2". This was exactly what I needed and the 5er sits perfectly level now.
Here is a pic of my rig:

2014 Wildcat 312BHX
2015 RAM 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Keisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #12

Nice looking rig. We've decided to order a new 2500 mega cab with std 18" wheels. Interesting that we can't order the electric folding mirrors as that requires another option that includes the 20" wheels. Crazy how they put these options together. Our 5er rides pretty close to level now even with the bed hitch raised to clear the bed sides. I'm sure I'll have to install a slide hitch but am confused how you can drive forward and make 90 degree corners without hitting the cab, but have to slide the rig back to make a similar turn. Your experiences? Thanks for the great info
Old 01-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #13

I have electric folding mirrors with the 18's.
Just an slt.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #14

I'll never understand dealers, and their ordering.
I've been looking at drw for the past couple weeks.

Who, in their right mind...
Orders a $90k limited, dually 3500, without fifth wheel prep, and the aisin trans.

Or, like in the case of my 3500, no brake control module. WTH.

It's like when I was working at dodge, they would order Chrysler town and country vans, without nav.

I cannot find the truck I want, and will have to factory order. Delivery would be end of March.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #15

Don't know if it changed in the 2016 model or if different between the slt and Laramie.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #16
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryner View Post
Nice looking rig. We've decided to order a new 2500 mega cab with std 18" wheels. Interesting that we can't order the electric folding mirrors as that requires another option that includes the 20" wheels. Crazy how they put these options together. Our 5er rides pretty close to level now even with the bed hitch raised to clear the bed sides. I'm sure I'll have to install a slide hitch but am confused how you can drive forward and make 90 degree corners without hitting the cab, but have to slide the rig back to make a similar turn. Your experiences? Thanks for the great info
Are you ask'n how a automatic type slider works?
Old 01-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #17

not how it works, but why it is needed. If I can make a turn without an automatic going forward, why can't I make the same turn going in reverse. Speaking of automatic though, I've heard very mixed opinions about them.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:07 PM   #18
Left Coast

If you don't need one going forward, you don't need one back'n up. With my Pullrite, as long as your close to straight on when hook'n up, no problem....there is a trust bolt adjustment that needs to be looked at for a while, and adjusted.....but haven't had to that lately.....it's a heavy unit...200lbs., and is 5" taller than previous hitch. I'm using it in a long bed truck for a special clearance reason. Uses WD 40 for lube on slider rails, so it's easy to keep clean.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #19
Site Team

With a manual slider it's all about the angle between the TV and the RV in a turn.

Going forward, even though you're making a 90º turn the angle between the truck and trailer will never be 90º because the arc of travel for both units are the same direction.

However when you're backing up you can create a 90º (or less) angle between the truck and trailer. That's because going forward the arcs of the truck and trailer are always in the same direction, but in reverse the arcs of the truck and trailer can be opposite directions. And that's how a jack knife occurs.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #20
Left Coast

Pivot point stay's the same.....if you can turn 90 degrees forward and not have cab contact, you can backup.....

Tags
towing