Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #21
Broken Toe

IMHO.... Very few people have ever thought "Man... I wish I had bought a smaller truck"

Buy as much truck as you can afford. Don't base solely on your 'need' right now, as you will find your needs will shift over the lifetime of the truck.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #22

I have a 6.4 hemi in my 2500. i have had it 2 years with over 15k miles of towing. Not brand loyal at all, i bought what I liked (read as: DW liked) and have no regrets about Choosing the Ram

This fall I took a 4500 mile trip to Glacier from ST Louis where I averaged 10 MPG over the entire trip and towed a 9k Fifth wheel. Did I have to let the RPMs rev up on some hills, of course. Did I ever get under 60? NO

My payload is 2900 (cant find the pic)

While researching my truck purchase, the interesting thing I found that for trucks, many times, its actually cheaper to buy new. Resale is so high on trucks that with Factory rebates and financing its a smarter buy.

I have to agree with Cowracer. If you are towing, there is no such thing as too much truck. Also, with my 2500, while it sits higher, its the same dimensions as 1500.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
I have a 6.4 hemi in my 2500. i have had it 2 years with over 15k miles of towing. Not brand loyal at all, i bought what I liked (read as: DW liked) and have no regrets about Choosing the Ram

This fall I took a 4500 mile trip to Glacier from ST Louis where I averaged 10 MPG over the entire trip and towed a 9k Fifth wheel. Did I have to let the RPMs rev up on some hills, of course. Did I ever get under 60? NO

My payload is 2900 (cant find the pic)

While researching my truck purchase, the interesting thing I found that for trucks, many times, its actually cheaper to buy new. Resale is so high on trucks that with Factory rebates and financing its a smarter buy.

I have to agree with Cowracer. If you are towing, there is no such thing as too much truck. Also, with my 2500, while it sits higher, its the same dimensions as 1500.
which gearing do you have 3.73 or 4.10 ?
Maurice r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
When I needed to upgrade from my 2009 F-150 due to being over on GVWR and RAWR, I considered an F-150 with the HD payload package, so I talked to my trusted independent mechanic about that engine. He said he’s seen too many problems with the EB engine. I know a lot of people here have had no problems with their EB engine but I trust his experience. In the end I decided to go with the F-250 in my signature which I found locally. Since it has the snow plow prep and camper packages, it’s pretty much equivalent to an F-350 which gives me a much beefier truck with the option to upgrade to a 5th wheel some day (if I can talk my DW into it). But I would love to have the fuel economy of the 3.5L EB because the 6.2L gas engine is very thirsty.
That's interesting. My own research convinced me it was a safe bet. We've had no regrets, but if you have a trusted mechanic (a hard thing to find) it's a good idea to listen to what he or she says.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice r View Post
which gearing do you have 3.73 or 4.10 ?
Old 10-30-2017, 11:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
That's interesting. My own research convinced me it was a safe bet. We've had no regrets, but if you have a trusted mechanic (a hard thing to find) it's a good idea to listen to what he or she says.
Yea they are a Great motor.. Wish I still had mine.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
IMHO.... Very few people have ever thought "Man... I wish I had bought a smaller truck"

Buy as much truck as you can afford. Don't base solely on your 'need' right now, as you will find your needs will shift over the lifetime of the truck.

Tim
And if money is an issue, consider a nice clean used diesel if that is what you need. We bought an 08 Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combo 1.5 years ago with only 35000 on it for 1/3 the cost of a new truck.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
And if money is an issue, consider a nice clean used diesel if that is what you need. We bought an 08 Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combo 1.5 years ago with only 35000 on it for 1/3 the cost of a new truck.
Purchase price isn't my only concern... additional complexity, higher maintenance costs, lost payload compared to gas and suitability as a daily driver for a one-vehicle family are all factors.

For my money the best of all worlds would be a bigger EcoBoost offered in an F-250 or F-350 but in the meantime we're happy with the F-150.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Purchase price isn't my only concern... additional complexity, higher maintenance costs, lost payload compared to gas and suitability as a daily driver for a one-vehicle family are all factors.

For my money the best of all worlds would be a bigger EcoBoost offered in an F-250 or F-350 but in the meantime we're happy with the F-150.
I owned a 2015 Eco boost and traded it for a 2016 Chevrolet HD gas to pull our 9200 lb. 5er- Although the Ford was a nice ride there is nite and day difference between the safety/ comfort and control we now enjoy in the 2500. I see a lot of folks quote payload but are they quoting Mfg or the true payload figure labeled on their drivers door/ post. Before I purchased I looked at a diesel GMC (payload 2150 lbs) my Lightweight 5er pin +passenger, hitch etc is 2400 lbs. Our 3/4 chevy has a true payload of 2733 lbs (Mfg. 3379)
ksmith954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #30

I am not sure where the OP gets the idea that diesels have a lower payload rating. I was just looking at Ford's specs for 2017 250's and 350's. Diesels have a higher towing capacity. When it comes to payload rating the difference is listed with wheelbase and engines have nothing to do with it.

Sometimes I wonder how much stuff people take camping with them. I can see where you would get close to a tow vehicle carrying capacity with 4 passengers plus 500-700 lb tongue weight but most campers can carry around 1500lbs (or more) of gear. We carry 500-600lbs in the trailer plus another 350lbs of water and I can't think of what else we could possibly bring and we still have 500 lbs of extra room.

As an owner with an EcoBoost that tows through the Colorado mountains I say stay with it unless you are going to get a much larger trailer. I come across several lines of backed up traffic going up hills but it wasn't because of me. The frustrating part was that while I have plenty of power to maintain the speed limit and then some going up hills, I had no ability to pass those going under the speed limit on 2 lane highways. That usually calls for me to have to kick it up to at least 80 and (while I could) I'm not doing that pulling a trailer. So, I am stuck behind that junked up 20 year old Toyota pickup going 58 in a 65.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #31

Quote:

I have very much the same story. Just ditched a 2015 F250 6.7 PSD and went back to an F150 EB. Really considered a 6.2L F250, but in the end couldn't convince myself to go with something with less power AND less fuel efficiency. Can't figure out why one of the Big 3 won't twin turbo a small V8- maybe they're afraid it will kill diesel sales?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
I am not sure where the OP gets the idea that diesels have a lower payload rating. I was just looking at Ford's specs for 2017 250's and 350's. Diesels have a higher towing capacity. When it comes to payload rating the difference is listed with wheelbase and engines have nothing to do with it.

Sometimes I wonder how much stuff people take camping with them. I can see where you would get close to a tow vehicle carrying capacity with 4 passengers plus 500-700 lb tongue weight but most campers can carry around 1500lbs (or more) of gear. We carry 500-600lbs in the trailer plus another 350lbs of water and I can't think of what else we could possibly bring and we still have 500 lbs of extra room.

As an owner with an EcoBoost that tows through the Colorado mountains I say stay with it unless you are going to get a much larger trailer. I come across several lines of backed up traffic going up hills but it wasn't because of me. The frustrating part was that while I have plenty of power to maintain the speed limit and then some going up hills, I had no ability to pass those going under the speed limit on 2 lane highways. That usually calls for me to have to kick it up to at least 80 and (while I could) I'm not doing that pulling a trailer. So, I am stuck behind that junked up 20 year old Toyota pickup going 58 in a 65.
It's typically more of an issue with the 3/4 ton diesels than 1 ton.. My truck (gas ) as equipped has a 3300 pound limit (by the door sticker) A similarly equipped diesel had substantially less.. One reason is most 3/4 tons try to stay under the 10K GVW, and that diesel and associated mechanics makes it a bit heavier than the gas version.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:18 PM   #33

Quote:
An F250 has a max GVWR of 10K, whether gas or diesel. You put a diesel into that F250 and it will weigh around 8K, but much less with a gas- thinking maybe high 6ks?? So, the diesel effectively 'eats up' much of the payload available. 2 identically equipped SuperDuty trucks will always have a much lower payload if equipped with a diesel because it weighs more than the 6.2 V8.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #34

Quote:

Really ?

My buddy is a ford mechanic and has a 5.0l and my cousin is the fast lane supervisor for a ford dealer and has a bay booked all day everyday for the ecoboost timing chains. The new ones are a lot better but they also have to smaller timing chains instead of one long one. I think people on this forum don’t see problems with their eco boosts because they take care of them and don’t go over on their oil changes and servicing it.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #35

Quote:
...I don’t want to tow with any of the gassers currently on offer in HD trucks, and I’m not interested in paying... for a diesel...
Quote:
...Sometimes I wonder how much stuff people take camping with them... As an owner with an EcoBoost that tows through the Colorado mountains... I am stuck behind that junked up 20 year old Toyota pickup going 58 in a 65.
I used to manage fleets & IMO gas 3/4 tons offer the best bang/buck... Once out of warranty we never got out of a diesel shop for under $1500... The new emissions & DEF, etc. add-ons are only making it more likely that you will have issues past 100K miles...

In 2013 we bought a 2 year-old rust-free Ram 2500 CC w/5.7 Hemi, tow rating of 3,000, etc. for $14,000. The money saved vs. buying a 2 year-old diesel or F150 EB w/pricey HD upgrade pays for a LOT of gas!

We tow an 8,000 lb. TT w/tongue weight of 1,200, 800 of family & gear in the cab, and an additional 500+ of gear under our awesome fiberglass cap. We already have 5 bikes mounted to the dinette seats, so the fiberglass cap protects 2 generators, extra gas, 3 inflatable kayaks, 3 scooters, a 70 lb. toolbox, an extra spare for long trips, and enough firewood for 10 days... I get 16-17 mpg on my daily commute & 8 mpg average towing.

No 1/2 ton can handle what we routinely haul... A 2 year-old diesel 1 ton would cost 3X what we paid... We have NO PROBLEMS maintaining the speed limit/making safe passes throughout the Smoky Mountains, upper Appalachian, etc.

We will likely only make it out West 2 seasons w/this setup. There's ALWAYS some worn-out gas motorhome going 40-50 mph up 2 lane mountain passes. Maybe I don't have enough engine to get up to 65 mph to pass him quickly/safely... With the money saved, I DON'T CARE if I don't have enough engine to pass him. I'll gladly add a couple hours to a 4,000 mile trip to save $30K in up-front expenses. Plus, the scenery out West is BEAUTIFUL. If I back-off the gas MH's bumper & can really take it all in & let the DW & kids take some awesome pics...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroff View Post
Really ?

My buddy is a ford mechanic and has a 5.0l and my cousin is the fast lane supervisor for a ford dealer and has a bay booked all day everyday for the ecoboost timing chains. The new ones are a lot better but they also have to smaller timing chains instead of one long one. I think people on this forum don’t see problems with their eco boosts because they take care of them and don’t go over on their oil changes and servicing it.
I think thats a flat out exaggeration that a bay is booked all day every day, please provide info to this dealership as I would like to call and verify said information... This " My buddy has, and my cousin is..." usually ends up just being gibberish from someone who doesn't really like said truck/brand/motor...
Old 10-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #37

Dealership was discovery ford in Burlington Ontario. Please call and let me know. Thats what he told me. I was actually disappointed. This was 1.5 Year’s a go. They had a used 11 max tow crew cab 6.5 box eco boost. A needle in a hay stack truck. He told me not to get it.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #38

Direct injection coupled with 5w30 oil and twin turbos is hard on the oil and viscosity shearing = timing chain stretch. I used nothing but 5w40 in the two F150 ecoboob trucks I owned and was happy with their reliability. Newer F150 eb's now have port fuel injection to reduce intake valve buildup but the turbos still are hard on oil.

I wouldn't have a problem buying an F150 EB if I needed less capability.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:52 PM   #39

The early Ecoboost had some problems like too big intercooler and the V6 vibration harmonics that were " hammering" the camshaft chains and making them fail depending on what duty cycle you have.
I'm almost sure Ford already solved those problems for if they had not solved, the increased torque of the new versions would only make the problem worst....
It's an American company trying an "European like" design that will operate under American conditions so there is a lot to learn ....

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:09 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
The early Ecoboost had some problems like too big intercooler and the V6 vibration harmonics that were " hammering" the camshaft chains and making them fail depending on what duty cycle you have.
I'm almost sure Ford already solved those problems for if they had not solved, the increased torque of the new versions would only make the problem worst....
It's an American company trying an "European like" design that will operate under American conditions so there is a lot to learn ....

Does this apply to the EcoBoost in the Escapes also? I have a 2014 Escape Titanium EB .... best car/SUV I've ever owned. 95K miles and runs perfectly with never a single problem. Love the acceleration of the car! Amazing. But I'm scrupulous about oil changes at 5K miles even though it's supposed to be able to go longer.
Having the EB in my Escape is probably why I am a bit disappointed with my F250. Lol! And I did test drive an EB F150 which felt peppy like my SUV. So I'm one of those people hoping Ford comes out with an EB Super Duty soon. LOL.
LLMRPh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas