Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2022, 09:11 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Since another thread has gotten plenty of responses,
I'm curious about your actual experiences not just "parroting" another's thoughts.
I pull a 28' trailer 7700GVWR with a F150 been in some stiff crosswinds (straight out flags so 25ish MPH) and have no issues. Over 15,000 miles so far. (I was led to believe from "forum experts" I'd have troubles)
I have no idea at what length it would become an issue for my truck since I have not tried anything longer.
How about you folks what trailer length did you pull that you found out it was just too much for your truck? No cheating actual real-life experiences only, not what you "heard, read, or think"

safe travels
I had a 24’ 5th wheel I pulled with an F-150 with the smaller V-8. I hated it. It was gutless going up hills, and in the Western US, there are lots of hills. The brakes were inadequate too. As soon as I got home from that summer (5 week trip), I traded it in for an F-250 diesel. I pulled 5th wheels up to 38 feet with that truck with absolutely no complaints. I won’t own anything but a diesel (now own a Ram diesel dually) for trailering.

I made the F-150 work, but it wasn’t fun nor were we as safe as we could have been.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:46 PM   #42

I pulled a 31' SOB TT that was high and long with our '07 double cab long bed Tundra. We had no problems with a wdh on a 2300 mile trip across the west. On the next trip, we caught a strong wind gust that moved us over two lanes. We installed an Equilizer 4 hitch and had no more problems on any trips. It's not just the half ton, but how it's set up, as others have said. That long wheel base and 10 ply tires on the 4x4 OEM wheels, a proper hitch, and adjusted brakes can make a difference.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:16 AM   #43

Great Combo

I pull a Rockwood 2608BS with a 2020 Tundra TRD with towing pkg and a 4 point equalizing hitch. The scales show the weight of the camper as loaded at about 7500 pounds. Its length is just under 30 foot. I do a lot of driving through the Smokies and pulled it through hurricane Eta (I wondered where all the rain was coming from.) Had to do a panic stop in Atlanta where it did drop from 55 to zero without any issue staying strait behind the truck and in plenty of time. This is real experience not projected from specifications or other experiences. Yes I intend to keep the rig as it is as there is no reason to change. I am an experienced driver with over 35 years pulling all types of trailers.
bltate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:19 AM   #44

I know I'll get some heat for this. Have a 1/2t Ram with the bigger axle. I put Timbren bump stops in replacement of factory bump stops. TT is 37', about 9000-9500 lbs, hitch weight is 1100. Very long for this truck, I know, but within the manf limits. And before anyone says anything, I know I know, just because you can doesn't mean you should. I get it. I haven't had any problems. I also have a great wdh. No problems with sway at all, I can definitely feel the trailer when its windy, and I never go above 65 mph. I'm only traveling within 2 hours of home. There are a lot of variables, so I imagine everyone's experience is different.
emoore613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 09:37 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1fan View Post
The folks that say they don't know the trailer is behind them are full of it. I can tell the small trailer with a lawnmower on it is back there.
If you want to KNOW you are pulling something, try pulling an 85' long mobile home in a 40 mph cross wind. State limit is 25 mph wind but when caught miles from no-where when the wind comes us as it does in the Dakotas - you are left with no alternative. So you drive with the tow vehicle wheels hugging the ditch on one side while the rear 10' of the home is hanging over the opposite ditch on a two lane highway.

Been there - done that....and moved manufactured/mobile homes for over 10 years.

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:49 AM   #46

Everything works until it doesn’t. I’ve seen some crazy towing. Saw a guy pulling a washer dryer combo, full sized, behind a motorcycle. He told me he had been doing it for years with no problems. I don’t copy such people.

The fact that another person on the web does it does not make it safe. What if the other person just has been lucky so far. Parts of the western US have crazy wind.
NC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bill View Post
Everything works until it doesn’t. I’ve seen some crazy towing. Saw a guy pulling a washer dryer combo, full sized, behind a motorcycle. He told me he had been doing it for years with no problems. I don’t copy such people.

The fact that another person on the web does it does not make it safe. What if the other person just has been lucky so far. Parts of the western US have crazy wind.
Some years ago, saw a photo of a Harley Davidson towing a cabin cruiser boat on a highway in California ... fellow had come from Alaska heading south.

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bill View Post

You are so correct!! Folks think a 1 ton is the answer for all towing issues then next think you know they are hanging over a bridge and the fire dept has to rescue them.

Better to drive 65mph and under with proper load distribution then hitching up to a 1 ton and thinking your golden.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #49

1/2 ton towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Any of the big 3 half ton trucks will pull about anything you want to hook to. Where the rub comes into play is when (and you never know about the when) someone pulls out in front of you, rapidly cuts over in your lane, or slams on their brakes. Then you realize just before you experience that crunching sound that your half ton with 3-4 ton of trailer behind it doesn't quite have what it takes to get you stopped in time. No parrots, cockatoos, or chicken hawks here ... I've come upon the aftermath more than once in our travels in the past 25 years.
If you have an issue with stopping, then you haven't adjusted your break controller right. I've towed travel trailers and 5th wheels with 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons and never an issue. If you are adjusted right your rig will stop quicker with the trailer attached than the truck by itself. I've been towing since 1969.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #50

I don’t understand the comments about “you won’t be able to stop with a 1/2 ton pulling 3 tons.” I had my brake controller gain set way to high once and just about went through the windshield trying to just slow down. Turns out the RV place wasn’t kidding when they said that my brakes would work better now that they cleaned out all the grease and put in new pads.
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:27 PM   #51

Reading thru these posts, I find it interesting that no one has made mention of the difference a short wheelbase v long wheelbase on the same series truck will have on towing experience. The wheelbase is a major contributor to how well a TV will handle a trailer.

The F150 wheelbase can range from 122" to 164". The extra 3+' feet of wheelbase on some SuperCrew models will make for a much more pleasant driving experience than the short wheelbase on some Regular Cab models.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:20 PM   #52

I towed a 32 ft TT 35 ft bumper to hitch with my f150 5.4 triton and 3.73 rear end. Was always kinda squirrelly, felt every wriggle. Went to a GMC 2500,410’s. It was like day and night and I have had to stop it hard when my trailer brake controller module failed. Those big 3/4 tin discs stopped in way better than my f150 would have with the trailer brakes working.nobody ever complained about having too much truck.
mulher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:29 PM   #53

Our FR 2511 seems to tow better than the previous FR 2109 . Same 2013 F150 4x4 with 5.0. I do believe the Fastway WDH was not adjusted right the first time by the dealer when purchasing the 2109, white knuckled in 25mph cross winds. Blamed much on the OEM truck tires and maladjusted WDH. Though I feel the weight difference now over the 2109, better tires on the truck and properly tuned Fastway WDH the 2511 tow's steady in the same winds. As for stopping, well trailer brake controler is also adjustable, understandable that more weight pushing from behind needs a little more space to stop. With that in mind, I've adjusted my driving habits also. Would like an F250, but not in the cards now, and I'm comfortable with the present towing experience.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 06:14 AM   #54

36' fifth wheel

I have a 2018 f150 EB with max tow. E rated tires and overloads. Loaded camper weight of fifth wheel is 10,500. It tows excellent.
oneflexyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:50 AM   #55
llr

With my prior 37' Flagstaff I had true increasing sway three separate times in fairly mild conditions, bad enough that if anyone was next to me I probably would have hit them. The truck sway control kicked in each time before I could reach the trailer brake. This was obviously exceeding what the Blue Ox could control.

My current 32' Grand Design was doing really well last year and most of this year. The last two trips I had higher winds. Well I never had true sway the rear was being pushed sideways pretty hard but the Blue Ox hitch would pull it back fine. It was uncomfortable enough that I left the Interstate both times. I am debating about a ProPride now.

From my experience I would never consider over 32' with a half ton again, under 30' would be better.

These were both with the same F150 that for a non-HDPP truck, it is equipped about the best possible for towing. Truck and trailer details are in my signature
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:56 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
With my prior 37' Flagstaff I had true increasing sway three separate times in fairly mild conditions, bad enough that if anyone was next to me I probably would have hit them. The truck sway control kicked in each time before I could reach the trailer brake. This was obviously exceeding what the Blue Ox could control.

My current 32' Grand Design was doing really well last year and most of this year. The last two trips I had higher winds. Well I never had true sway the rear was being pushed sideways pretty hard but the Blue Ox hitch would pull it back fine. It was uncomfortable enough that I left the Interstate both times. I am debating about a ProPride now.

From my experience I would never consider over 32' with a half ton again, under 30' would be better.

These were both with the same F150 that for a non-HDPP truck, it is equipped about the best possible for towing. Truck and trailer details are in my signature
Rule of thumb for what it's worth. Not saying it's true, but a guideline for half tons. 6500 lbs or less and 30 ft or less in length. Take from it what you wish. We're all gamblers at heart. Where is your safety ceiling ? Most trucks are under rated for load because of liability reasons, but I wouldn't push it too much. Just my 2 penny's.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:51 AM   #57
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Since another thread has gotten plenty of responses,
I'm curious about your actual experiences not just "parroting" another's thoughts.
I pull a 28' trailer 7700GVWR with a F150 been in some stiff crosswinds (straight out flags so 25ish MPH) and have no issues. Over 15,000 miles so far. (I was led to believe from "forum experts" I'd have troubles)
I have no idea at what length it would become an issue for my truck since I have not tried anything longer.
How about you folks what trailer length did you pull that you found out it was just too much for your truck? No cheating actual real-life experiences only, not what you "heard, read, or think"

safe travels
We have been towing with Maxtow equipped F150 Super Crews since 2005. 2005 with 5.4L, 2008 and 2011 with 5.0l and 2014 and 2019 with 3.5L twin turbo.. of the three engines, the 3.5 did the best.
three trailers in the 29', 7500 t0 8500 lb range. I did upgrade to E rated 10 ply tires on all of them. We have towed in all conditions including the Adirondacks, the great lakes, the Canadian maritime provinces, well over 15,000 miles. We did have a problem with the 2019 F150 with sway. The 2019 F150 is about 800 lbs lighter than the older trucks so we had to re-adjust the hitch to and sway bars to remedy the situation. Otherwise, we are comfortable with the combination.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:25 PM   #58

I have a 2011 Tundra Crew cab 5.8L engine with the tow package.
I tow a 36’ long ~7000 lb trailer (2012 Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD)
Towing can be draining due to getting pushed around by passing Semis.
What makes me scratch my head a bit is I can have one day where I can’t exceed 65 mph without experiencing some sway, but the next day 65-70 mph with no sway at all. The only difference I can think of is that some weight may have shifted between the two days.
There are many adjustments that I could make, moving weight forward or backward, increasing or decreasing the preload on the WDH torsion bars, adding or removing ~100 lbs to the truck. How do all these adjustments affect sway?
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:36 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
What makes me scratch my head a bit is I can have one day where I can’t exceed 65 mph without experiencing some sway, but the next day 65-70 mph with no sway at all. The only difference I can think of is that some weight may have shifted between the two days.
There are many adjustments that I could make, moving weight forward or backward, increasing or decreasing the preload on the WDH torsion bars, adding or removing ~100 lbs to the truck. How do all these adjustments affect sway?
Hey, another Tundra owner here. Previously I towed a similar size TT. My two cents, get to a cat scale and check your weights, adjust your WD hitch If needed, re-weigh. I'm going to assume you over or close to your maximum payload and axel maximum weights.
Second, consider purchasing a Hensley or Propride hitch. Expensive, yes. Worth the money yes. 36' is a large bill board for the wind to push around.
We eventually downsized TT, rather than purchasing a new truck. Life is better for us, w/o the towing stress. I can tow anywhere I want to now. And we love our Tundras.
Safe travels
Old 10-21-2022, 06:41 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
The day to day difference is probably due to changing speeds of the crosswinds you're towing through. I can't imagine that shifting weight would cause this unless you're making major adjustments to heavy items day to day.

Tags
trailer