Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
Rocknoids

Reese Revolution pin box

I have a 2013 Reese Revolution pin box on a 32' Rockwood Signature 5th wheel. I have noticed there is a 3/8" to 1/2" gap at the back side of the pin box. At first I thought it was just the way it sits on the truck. The gap is there all the time on or off the 5th. Is this something I should be worried about? See the attached pics.
I called the company. They were no help at all. Go to the dealer was their recorded message. I emailed their tech department, but, got no answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200505_144027.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	228600   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200505_144146.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	228601  
Rocknoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:53 PM   #2

Looks like its time for a rebuild kit.
Watch the video they have here also.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...etails=.videos
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:19 PM   #3

Yep, a rebuild kit might fix it, but you won't know until you take it apart and see what is going on. Look at the wear plates, tube, and spindle for wear.
I have a Sidewinder and take it apart yearly, check wear plates, grease and re-torque.
I've always had good luck with Reese tech support, maybe try again and you will get somebody helpful
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:31 PM   #4
Rocknoids

Thank you

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I am taking it apart this weekend.
Fun Fun Fun
Old 05-07-2020, 10:45 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Two things... I would first check the torque on the castle nut. That space doesn't look that bad, does it turn when pushed? Mine always did, some say never.

Second take apart and clean. I did this once on my Reese Revolution on my 2013 Rockwood in 2014. Found slag I ground the surface clean.

At the internal rally in 2015 Reese replaced the hitch, i explained the slag issue and they replaced it for free.

Fast forward to 2016 we traded for a Bighorn and I bought a Sidewinder. Dealer did not understand the torque specs and I received not but two rebuild kits. Have not used them yet. I moved the Sidewinder to the Landmark Louisville when we traded in 2019.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:07 AM   #6
Rocknoids

The torque is very tight. I tried a few weeks ago to loosen the castle nut. I could not budge it using a 24" wrench. I will have to put a cheater pipe extension on the end of the wrench. Yes, I did remove to cotter pin first.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #7

Here is the Reese Instructions for the kit.
Nut is set at 80lbs as per the 10,000 lb version.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf N86110.pdf (480.6 KB, 90 views)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #8

Taking apart and cleaning the revolution is part of my yearly maintenance.When putting it back together after cleaning and greasing I install the lockdown bolts getting them tight enough to almost close that gap, then I tighten the castel nut to the 80#' and remove the lockdown bolts. Very little if any gap that way and the hitch swings pretty easy. The part about the lockdown bolts is my idea and NOT in any of the instructions. Works for me.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:45 AM   #9
Rocknoids

I removed the castle nut yesterday by hitting the end of a 24" pipe wrench with an 8 lb mallet. I have the 2 lock down nuts in place until today when I can spend some more time with it. I will keep you updated.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #10
WFD

Let us know how you wrestled with that heavy beast, to get it down and then reassembled. That whole concept is the one thing holding me back from activating it.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Let us know how you wrestled with that heavy beast, to get it down and then reassembled. That whole concept is the one thing holding me back from activating it.
The concept of taking it apart for maintenance, or the concept of moving the turning point back by using it as designed?
I take my Sidewinder Fifth Airborne apart by myself, and it's heavier. I back my truck up underneath it, use a small floor jack to support the hitch and raise and lower it. It's a little more challenging with Revolution as the castle nut is on the bottom, but several folks I've talked to use the same principle for service. I believe one used a three sided box frame with a jack. Definitely doable by one person.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #12
Rocknoids

Well, I giggled, wiggled, fiddled with the Reese. I could not get apart more that 3/4". I applied fresh grease between the 2 plates and a little grease on the wear disk and shaft washer. After tightening the castle nut 80 lbs, I could move it much easier than before. I truly believe the previous owner had the castle nut too tight.
This is end of this project until next year. Hopes this segment of the forum helps everyone. Happy trails.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #13

Just out of curiosity, how is the back gap now? Since the Revolution didn't slide off the shaft with the castle nut off, it makes me wonder if something is going on with the bearing or the spindle/shaft.
The 10k unit only has wear plates and rings, where the 16k has an actual bearing on the end of the spindle. Either way, there should be nothing preventing the assembly from coming off the shaft with the nut removed.
All the maint videos I watched from Reese for either unit shows them taking the whole unit off from the trailer mount wings and then disassembling on a bench. Might be a thought. I don't do that with my Sidewinder, but they are a different design.
I know if it was me, I would worry about why the Revolution won't come apart. But that's just me.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #14
Rocknoids

The gap in the back is closer than before. I also remembered a repair shop installed 1 lock down bolt to move the trailer with their rig. When I picked it up the bolt was still there. Of course, I sheared it off. It was just a cheap soft metal bolt. The threaded part of the bolt got stuck between the plates. I'm thinking that bent the loser plate a little. Of course, the shop would not admit to the mistake. I'm thinking it is OK. It moves by hand, but, not too easy. I'll take it apart when this virus thing passes and I can get machinist friend over for some thoughts and help.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #15

Ah, thanks for explanation. I've had one dealer when it was new who didn't listen to me about the Sidewinder, tried to move it w/o lockout bolts and they dropped it off the forklift. They got to buy me a new hitch (bent the kingpin plate when the hitch turned sidewise), a new footpad, and a frame inspection.
Had an independent who put in the lockout bolts and forgot them, and I didn't think to check, but it was a straight pull to the first stop sign. I saw him running down the street after me before I turned
Now I thoroughly inspect everything
Glad to hear your hitch is acting better.

Tags
reese