Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #1

Reese Revolution Pin Box Problems

As with all the posts I have read about this pin box, hooking up has been a chore with the wedge installed but getting better. My issue is the pin box was hard to move manually and after putting some miles on the new Rockwood (only 630)the box can't be moved at all by hand. If I can't get under the hitch to hook up as is there is no way to move it by hand. Felt it push the rear end of the truck yesterday while turning down a narrow side street, pretty scary. Clearly states no maintenance required, what's up? Can't get a maintenance person to answer the phone at the dealers. Truck and trailer are brand new.
jmarl1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Never had that problem with mine, altho the first several times of towing and turning it made a horrible squeaking noise. I have since jack knifed it and then went back and gave it a heavy dose of lithium spray lube, then jack knifed it the other way and gave it another dose of lithium spray. Now, whenever I get it turned a lot, I will jump out of the truck and spray it again. Seems to keep it from squeaking, but I haven't experienced it pushing the rear end of the truck yet. Hope I never do.

BTW, after towing from Concord, NC to Davenport, Florida twice and around the Concord area, I still can't swivel the pin box even tho' they said it would loosen up after about 500 miles.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #3

Hmmm...I don't have a lot of miles on mine either but I was able to easily move mine from the start and have had no issues with hooking up to it. I do love the fact that i can position the pin box to the angle that I need to for hitching and to get it out of the way once camped by turning it completely sideways. I've just noticed that it emits a few creaks and groans. I've lubed with white lithium which helps a lot but still makes some noise. But assume that is normal given it is a pivot point. Much more quiet than my old ball hitch with Equalizer. I've also had no issues issues with it pushing the truck around. Didn't say what type/size truck you are hitching it to.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #4

Don't know if the weather is a factor, sat all winter brand new, pulled straight no problem. Hooked up, towed to Fish Creek up north, pushed the pin box out of the way and had to use the truck to pull it straight again when I left a week later. Just seems way too tight. I have a 2013 Chey 2500 HD with a Reese 30866 16K hitch. When I went around that corner it sure seemed like the rear end was pushed, almost like a load shift would feel.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Paul & Sheri

I can't push my pin box either after a year and 2000 miles. I try to park straight before disconnecting. I also have a little trouble hooking up and disconnecting with the wedge. Getting better but I think there's little tolerance for error.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #6

Mine is about 8 months into warranty. Still moves easily enough. Got used to hooking up. Figured out a few month's ago that the dealer actually put the wedge in the wrong way. I took it out reversed it, which took a few times to ge lined up right in the driveway but now, it hooks up much better. My hitch is a Reese R16K and the short end of the wedge should go into the hitch.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
Senior Moment

Have had mine since March. Swivels very easy, in fact wondering if it's to loose. I can swing it around with little to no effort. Been that way since New.
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #8

I think it's time to get Reese's input on this, maybe they have the answer. Then again we may have to live with what we got from the factory. Good luck to you all, thanks for your help.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #9

Let us know if you get anything from Reese.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #10

I will definitely post what I get from Reese, got an answer but was just a new web site address, should hear something by tomorrow. I'll post the entire answer.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #11

I got the answer from Reese I expected but not what anyone wants to hear, check it out:

Attention: Technical Support

Subject: Reese Revolution Pin Box Problem

Have a Reese Revolution pin box on my 2013, 26.5' Rockwood 5th wheel. Can't budge it by hand which makes hook ups with the wedge installed difficult, I have a short bed 2013 Chevy 2500 HD. The pin box could be positioned by hand when I went on vacation last week but had to use the truck to pull it straight to hook up and come home. Can you suggest a solution to loosen up the pin box. Is the retaining nut torque too tight? Any suggestion will be gratefully appreciated.John,

From: reesewebsite@reeseprod.com [mailto:reesewebsite@reeseprod.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:09 PM
To: Tech Support
Subject: Reese® Website : Contact Form Message (Technical Support)

The following message has been sent from the Reese® website:

The castle nut should be torqued to 80 ft. lbs. and to the next hole location, if needed. We would not expect the arm to be moveable by hand.

Thank you for contacting the Technical Group

Cequent Performance Products

Just as I thought, you get what you get. Good luck all.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #12

I installed my 5th airborne sidewinder last July and still cannot move it by hand. I also have had issues with the 5th wheel locking in the king pin due to the wedge not having much wiggle room. What I did to make it easier was grind down the edges on the wedge about 3/16” to give me a little more clearance, 3/16” does not seem like much but it did help a little. Once I back up to the pin box and the wedge is in the hitch, the jaws close but do not lock. What I do is have the wife raise or lower the landing gear while I slightly pull on the 5th wheel lever, the jaws then lock when it gets to the “perfect” position. If the wife is not around I have a stick that is about 3’ and I can tug on the 5th wheel lever while operating the landing gear button. Now that is what I call coona$$ ingenuity.
2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbreaux View Post
I installed my 5th airborne sidewinder last July and still cannot move it by hand. I also have had issues with the 5th wheel locking in the king pin due to the wedge not having much wiggle room. What I did to make it easier was grind down the edges on the wedge about 3/16” to give me a little more clearance, 3/16” does not seem like much but it did help a little. Once I back up to the pin box and the wedge is in the hitch, the jaws close but do not lock. What I do is have the wife raise or lower the landing gear while I slightly pull on the 5th wheel lever, the jaws then lock when it gets to the “perfect” position. If the wife is not around I have a stick that is about 3’ and I can tug on the 5th wheel lever while operating the landing gear button. Now that is what I call coona$$ ingenuity.
I find the same problem both hooking up and detaching. I brushed on a little bearing grease on the 5th wheel and pin. I find that hooking up is a little easier with the pin box about 1/8" above the 5th wheel. I do the same thing as above disconnecting where I have to raise/lower and pull the handle until the lock is freed. I guess we'll get used to it.

Thanks Jmarl1253 for your communication.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb01 View Post
I find the same problem both hooking up and detaching. I brushed on a little bearing grease on the 5th wheel and pin. I find that hooking up is a little easier with the pin box about 1/8" above the 5th wheel. I do the same thing as above disconnecting where I have to raise/lower and pull the handle until the lock is freed. I guess we'll get used to it.

Thanks Jmarl1253 for your communication.
I have found that a little grease on the sides of the wedge and the pin helps quite a bit. I also took an air sander and smoothed the sides of the ramp slot and rounded the top edges. My pin box will not move by hand after 2 trips to FL and a few around home. No problem hooking up even if not aligned exactly straight with the hitch tho.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #15

Reese Revolution Pin Box Problems

I have a 2016 Rockwood and a Curt e16 hitch. I can't seem to get my unit to track straight. The pin box is always off center. I didn't use the Reese wedge, I got a Curt wedge for the e16. It appears to have a little side to side play.
Should I use the Reese wedge, it just doesn't go in the mouth of the hitch very far...either end.
Also, I can't manually turn my pin box either. I have never had any issues with it "pushing" my truck.
mbrunette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #16

16k+ miles on my Revolution on a Flagstaff Super Lite ... never been able to move it by hand. Like others, I hit it with a shot of lithium grease when it’s turned.
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote