Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2020, 09:51 PM   #1

Reese Stedi-Flex issues with Forest River

We just took delivery of our new Grey Wolf 25RRTBL this week. Before making the trek from Texas to Indiana, we purchased the Reese Stedi-Flex 66560 because we heard good reviews. Imagine my surprise when we, (along with the dealership mechanics) couldn’t achieve the proper adjustment. The problem is that the wide, circular Reese ball mount section interferes with the safety chain bracket on the trailer coupler. Had to install the WDH with the angle adjusted all the way back towards the trailer to get it to clear the chain bracket. I really don’t want to buy another WDH but the only other option is to try and bend the bracket back towards the trailer. I hope the latter won’t void my frame warranty. Anyone else have a similar issue with the Reese Stedi-Flex and newer Forest River couplers?

Sorry for the sideways image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1A37FBC5-6185-48E5-90E0-7BDBFB4F619C.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	243749  
reeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
Retired Panpsychist

I have the same WDH connecting our F-150 and our 23IKSS. The dealer DID put one of these in each slot on the receiver where the safety chains connect.

Also, based on your photo, you might get a bit more flexibility if the chains were mounted to the underside of the coupler instead of the top.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeston View Post
We just took delivery of our new Grey Wolf 25RRTBL this week. Before making the trek from Texas to Indiana, we purchased the Reese Stedi-Flex 66560 because we heard good reviews. Imagine my surprise when we, (along with the dealership mechanics) couldn’t achieve the proper adjustment. The problem is that the wide, circular Reese ball mount section interferes with the safety chain bracket on the trailer coupler. Had to install the WDH with the angle adjusted all the way back towards the trailer to get it to clear the chain bracket. I really don’t want to buy another WDH but the only other option is to try and bend the bracket back towards the trailer. I hope the latter won’t void my frame warranty. Anyone else have a similar issue with the Reese Stedi-Flex and newer Forest River couplers?

Sorry for the sideways image.
I would relocate the safety chains . will not void warranty of frame . the way they've got that set up i would not trust if it came uncoupled . I don't know why we still see crap like this . It seems don't get better in the RV biz just the same are worse
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #4

Just spit-ballin' here.....

But what if you fastened the safety chains underneath the coupler??

ETA: Just saw I'm a little little late with my suggestion Great minds and all that
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Toe View Post
Just spit-ballin' here.....

But what if you fastened the safety chains underneath the coupler??

ETA: Just saw I'm a little little late with my suggestion Great minds and all that
If I can’t get that bracket to bend down, that was my next move. Looks like I’ll need a grinder to split that bracket first as it’s welded on a chevron shaped angle. Thanks for the suggestions friends.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
If I can’t get that bracket to bend down, that was my next move. Looks like I’ll need a grinder to split that bracket first as it’s welded on a chevron shaped angle. Thanks for the suggestions friends.
Why go through all that? Just move the chains to the underside and see if it works. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Good luck. I've seen WDH cause similar headaches. Watched a woman almost drive off with the chains still hung up/caught on something (honestly forgot what/how). I stopped her in time or it could have gotten ugly, I know that.

RVing is never plug-'n-play. That's what makes it fun. It forces you to adapt and learn.

I carry a few Ryobi tools with me on the road..... The Impact, tire inflator, driver, drill, couple more as well as a tool box with basic hand tools. Some peeps like the DeWalt better. I would think it might very well be better. But the Ryobi is cheap and good stuff. Once you get the batteries, the tools are cheap.

Love battery powered stuff. That little impact kicks butt.

But I have a cap. Won't have a pickup without one. Junior is different, Gotta have the tri-fold tonneau which, to me, is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine but....... It looks better to him (it does). I stopped caring about what looks good decades ago.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Toe View Post
Why go through all that? Just move the chains to the underside and see if it works. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
That would be the simpler solution but that whole section is “boxed” in. I would have to drill holes then tap threads for the bolts. Thanks
Old 11-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
Retired Panpsychist

I think I'm missing something. The suggestions directly refer to the part of the coupler shown in your original photo. Looking at that photo, instead of the chain link being bolted to the top of the beam, just undo the bolts, remove the chain, reinsert the bolt, reattach the chain on the underside.

What am I missing?

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Old 11-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I think I'm missing something. The suggestions directly refer to the part of the coupler shown in your original photo. Looking at that photo, instead of the chain link being bolted to the top of the beam, just undo the bolts, remove the chain, reinsert the bolt, reattach the chain on the underside.

What am I missing?
You’re missing the point about the “bracket” being the issue, not the chains. The bracket is what’s interfering with the WDH, not the actual chains. The mechanic at the dealership told us that Forest River made this design change to their newer trailers. Unfortunately for me, it doesn’t work with all WDH’s. I thought I clearly explained the bracket being the issue in the first post.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #10
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
You’re missing the point about the “bracket” being the issue, not the chains. The bracket is what’s interfering with the WDH, not the actual chains. The mechanic at the dealership told us that Forest River made this design change to their newer trailers. Unfortunately for me, it doesn’t work with all WDH’s. I thought I clearly explained the bracket being the issue in the first post.
I think I’ve got it now. I took the photo out to my hitch and now see how the boxed-in area below the coupler would strike the edge of the hitch. Hmmm. Perhaps a welder could remove the coupler head and re-weld it closer to the end of the tongue?

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 11-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #11
Site Team

If cutting the lip off where the chains are attached to will make the WDH fit and operate correctly, I would cut it off even with the A-Frame channels and move the chain attachment points back along the A-Frame a bit.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #12

Quote:
I missed that point as well. Afterall the pic is sideways

How about a new (longer) tongue coupler? Would that help your problem? Or... Can you re-position the one you have? (doubtful)

ETA: A trip to Tractor Supply might help you out some. Or better yet, yourr local trailer manufacturer/supply store. Take pictures on your phone to show them.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #13

Thanks, figured it out.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks, figured it out.
And your solution was.........??

Tags
forest river, reese