Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 07:53 PM   #1

Refueling a 32' with toad on dolly.

Has anyone taken a 32' class C with a toad on dolly into a Pilot Flying J and refueled at the car pumps. I'll be going up I-81 in Pa, and wanted to gas up at the Plot Flying J at exit 175. I don't want to get in there and not be able to get out. There is a P/F J with RV lanes 30 miles north past I-84 where I east into Ct. Should I risk it or just drive the extra miles and play it safe. Thanks in advance because I haven't figured out how to find my posts.
Sunseeker6648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #2

I have a 32 foot C and tow a car on a dolly. No matter where you fuel you have to pick your way in and your way out. Sometimes you have to bypass a stop for a better way in and out. I've been in some tight spots that I don't want to be in again. If you can get to a fuel stop you are comfortable with do it.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:56 AM   #3

Our Forester is 32 ft. and we pull a car on a tow dolly.
We use the car lanes mostly as sometimes the truck lanes only have diesel pumps.
I like to do a drive by before pulling into a station to be sure there is enough room in front and behind the lanes for turning. If it looks iffy I move on.
I always use the outside pumps as they seem to have more width.
I like to be able to drive straight out if possible but if a turn is necessary, a left turn works best for me. A sharp enough right turn with my 3 foot tail swing could take out a gas pump.
So far, height hasn't been an issue with newer stations but I still watch it.
You'll figure it out after a while.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:09 AM   #4

Look at station on google maps and use both walking view and satalite view.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:37 AM   #5

Based on the satellite view I would not go to that one. There is one at exit 219 which has RV lanes if the distance is doable for you.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #6

Where is your start point? some times its worth it to fill up when you are not empty, so you can skip the stretch of road where stations are tough.
If your coming through PA from south, there is a nice Loves truck stop at the Hagerstown MD exit. Plenty of room at the pumps to turnaround on other side to get pointed back out. they also have propane but when I tried they said "the machine is broke" (really it was raining)

there is a Loves at exit 90 (fort indiantown gap area) that google map satellite view looks like room to turn out if you use LS outer pumps.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:59 PM   #7

I got a "CFN card" (Commercial Fueling Network) so I don't need to fight with those places. Easy in easy out. Sure you'll pay a bit more but you can get in and out without a hassle.
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #8

I am very familiar with that station, no way you can get in and out towing. Probably not even without the towed vehicle.
steve from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
I got a "CFN card" (Commercial Fueling Network) so I don't need to fight with those places. Easy in easy out. Sure you'll pay a bit more but you can get in and out without a hassle.
Please clarify. With this CFN card, where would you go to fuel up a gasoline fueled class C motorhome with toad (like the OP has)? Are there specific stations with ample maneuvering room that accept this card for gasoline purchases? How is it that “you’ll pay a bit more”?
Old 09-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #10

I have a 36’ class a, towed a dolly first couple of years and now tow 4 down. In stations without RV lanes I have been able to get in and out using the outer pumps. Prefer pointing out. I just wait till pump I want is available. RV lanes are much better. Flying j seems to have more RV lanes than pilot.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #11

I am 32 ft Sunseeker with a 20 ft car trailer and I have been in plenty of gas stations. Best are Flying J with RV lanes or stations with the gas islands not near the building or running parallel with the building. I do have over 96000 miles on a 2012.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #12
NXR

We've done it with a 38' and pulling a car on a dolly. It's best to look it over as you slowly pull up to the entrance to figure out your best exit. If you can't figure it out, consider going further down the street and turning around somewhere to take a second look rather than pulling in and getting in a less-than-desirable situation.

One consideration will be if you are pointed at the building and they allow parking at the front of the building. We've sometimes had to wait until a car moved and sometimes one of us had to stand in a car parking spot and politely ask incoming cars to park elsewhere so we could make the wide swing out. Everyone has been nice about the need so far.

In our limited experience, we've found that Love's seem to have better fueling spots. Wider, further from the building for the turn out, exits near the end pumps, etc.

Just remember, whichever side of the pump you pull up to and whichever way you need to turn out, you likely will need to turn wide to assure the dolly clears the pumps and stanchions. We always have one person standing outside to assure proper clearance. And you cannot back up.

We always start looking for a good fueling spot as we come up on a half-tank. That gives us plenty of range if we need to skip a station and go back to driving.

Ray
Old 09-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker6648 View Post
... is a P/F J with RV lanes ...
If you're using their app, be careful, very, very careful. I do not know how they define "RV lanes" but it sure isn't how I would define them. I define them as separate pumps off to the side with an easy entrance and an exit for a long vehicle. PFJ seems to define them as "Yeah, you should be able to get an RV in and out."

Ray
Old 09-21-2020, 06:46 AM   #14

I second using Goggle Maps satellite and street view to scout pump access. When we're on a trip I use Gasbuddy.com to pick out stations and then Goggle Maps to verify access.

Usually Pilot/Flying J and Love's have good access, but I couldn't check a Pilot in Lewiston, ID, because we were in a national forest campground the night before. It turned out to be more of a convenience store than a truck stop. It was very difficult to get in and out, and it was the last station on the road leaving town. I just checked and that location is no longer branded as a Pilot. Pilot/Flying J did a good thing to drop it. It doesn't fit their system.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
If you're using their app, be careful, very, very careful. I do not know how they define "RV lanes" but it sure isn't how I would define them. I define them as separate pumps off to the side with an easy entrance and an exit for a long vehicle. PFJ seems to define them as "Yeah, you should be able to get an RV in and out."

Ray
I agree on this point about the PFJ app. An example is the station at Corbin, KY, which the app calls RV Friendly. It is a very busy store because their fuel price is typically among the lower in the area, there is a McDonalds drive through with a usually long line right on the side of the building, and there are no RV pump lanes. This station should not be considered RV Friendly by the app.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve from PA View Post
I am very familiar with that station, no way you can get in and out towing. Probably not even without the towed vehicle.
Well I made in and out ok. It wasn't busy so maybe I was lucky. Took the end pump on the left. That place was never a ez off ez on anyway.

I was going to Watertown CT then back tracking and not seeing a place to refuel in between those two points I hopped that station would work for me. It would just be within my fuel range, then west on I-80. I try to plan my stops and have been refueling at about 1/2 tank at PFJ with RV lanes.
I like Loves and they do seem to have more room to maneuver.
Thank you all for your input.
Sunseeker6648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Please clarify. With this CFN card, where would you go to fuel up a gasoline fueled class C motorhome with toad (like the OP has)? Are there specific stations with ample maneuvering room that accept this card for gasoline purchases? How is it that “you’ll pay a bit more”?
As I mentioned above it is a card attached to "Commercial Fueling Network". Mine is set up through a local oil company/dealer where I live. Here in Oregon and nearby States we also have Pacific Pride stations. All are "cardlock" and set up for large vehicles and are available 24 hours. Do a search for "CFN" and you'll certainly see availibility. Yes, a bit more $ but well worth fighting the madhouse at the other "truck stops".
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, toad