Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 07:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrajr View Post
I have a 2021 Silverback 33ik that came with the new Rhino Box. I found that box to be awful. It did a lot of bucking and chucking. I was surprised that FR would put such a pin box on a higher end trailer like the Cedar Creek. Anyway, I did what you are doing and researched other pin boxes and eventually decided upon the MorRyde Rubber pin box. I could not be happier. The reviews are spot on. It is so much better than the Rhino Box. Almost no bucking and chucking. I would highly recommend this pin box. I would anticipate that you will not be dissatisfied if you make this choice.

Pullrite Superglide 20k
MorRyde Rubber Pin box

Dave, thank you so much for the post! I'm surprised to hear an upgraded Rhino Box gave you such a rough tow, and I'm surprised FR would include one that bad on a high end Cedar Creek. I would expect much better for what you paid for that RV.

So, did you install the MorRyde pin box yourself, or have a dealer do the job? With help, I'm strongly inclined to do it myself, as others on this forum have said they've done the upgrade and wasn't a big deal to do.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Dave, thank you so much for the post! I'm surprised to hear an upgraded Rhino Box gave you such a rough tow, and I'm surprised FR would include one that bad on a high end Cedar Creek. I would expect much better for what you paid for that RV.

So, did you install the MorRyde pin box yourself, or have a dealer do the job? With help, I'm strongly inclined to do it myself, as others on this forum have said they've done the upgrade and wasn't a big deal to do.
I had the dealer install it only because I was nervous about any warranty issues since our trailer was brand new. I think that it would be an easy install (albeit you need two guys that have some muscle) and a big torque wrench. I called MorRyde to get the exact pin that fits the brackets. The Rhino Box is new and so I had to wait until they had finished all of there testing with the replacement pin. You will really like this hitch!

Dave
dcrajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:56 AM   #23

After initiating this thread, its quite clear your ride not only depends on the pin box and road conditions, but also your tow vehicle (SRW versus DRW) and which hitch you use. Some combinations are gonna work better than others. That said, I'm going to install the new pin box and look to replace the hitch down the road if I still don't get the ride I'm looking for.

I thank all of you for your comments, opinions, and experiences, and the edge-you-ma-catin' y'all imparted on me.

Cheers!
Old 02-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #24

Pin Box

Thanks for the info. I have heard the same negative comments from several people on the Rhino box. I have a B&W Companion hitch and have been pleased w/ it. The chucking is not bad, and feel my hitch is set up correctly. I like the big Trailair boxes, but do not want to send that much. Also I would rather not add that much weight. Trying to decide between the Trailair Roto and MorRyde.
Thanks
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Jim, when you replaced your 1621 with the Trailair Roto-Flex, how much did it help with the ride, in your opinion? Was it worth the expense and effort to install it?

Thank you!
No; I did not replace the Lippert 1621 pin box with the Trailair Roto Flex pin box. I replaced the Lippert 1621 with the TrailAir Pin Box for my Cougar and ordered from the factory the same model on my Cedar Creek.

See attached pic on my Cedar Creek.

This eliminate about 95% of my issues and when I switched to the Demco Glide hitch this eliminated the other 5% of my problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pin Box.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	248370  
Old 02-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Thanks for the info. I have heard the same negative comments from several people on the Rhino box. I have a B&W Companion hitch and have been pleased w/ it. The chucking is not bad, and feel my hitch is set up correctly. I like the big Trailair boxes, but do not want to send that much. Also I would rather not add that much weight. Trying to decide between the Trailair Roto and MorRyde.
Thanks

Yeah, I really like the Trailair boxes too. They'll not only smooth out the bucking and chucking but also the up and down bouncing from bumps and uneven road surfaces, like what I experienced. Been shopping this hitch online this morning and it can't be had for less than $1,100, but that's what you pay for the "Cadillac" ride. I'm just hoping a "Ford" priced pin box, along with my Companion and DRW one ton will provide an overall improved towing experience.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #27

Pin Box

Thanks
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #28

UPDATE:

As I spoke with my better half last night about justifying the upgrade of the pin box, I was reminded of an important observation concerning the towing incident which prompted this upgrade. When I was traveling home with the RV from the dealership for the first time, it was without the weight of all our stuff. She followed behind me in another vehicle and noticed an unusual amount of bouncing that occurred when going over the bridges. While on subsequent camping trips, neither of us can recall anymore bouncing of that magnitude since the RV was loaded with our stuff.

I still think a shock absorbing pin box is a wise upgrade to cut down the wear and tear on the truck, hitch and RV. I'll be replacing the Castle Rock china bombs currently on it with Goodyear Endurance tires this weekend. Coupled with a future upgraded pin box, this should make for a much better towing experience.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #29

I've towed my '12 Sanibel with a '97 dodge 3500 dually with 2 different 5th wheel hitches and an '11 GMC 3500 dually with a B&W companion. I've found that chucking is generally caused by the trailer no being level with the truck. The trailer towed wonderfully behind the dodge once I got the factory rigid pinbox & hitches adjusted correctly. The GMC bed is MUCH higher and even after adjusting it chucked terribly. I bought a new pinbox with the air bladder & shock (don't remember the mfg.) Still chucked but better. I installed taller tires which raised the trailer about 1" and it got much better. I just installed the Moride axle equalizers on the 5th wheel which raised it another inch & I expect it to be much better when I get underway in a couple weeks. I would gladly lower the rear of the truck 2" if I could do it easily but it's NOT easy on this model.

So the moral of this story is... get what you've got set up correctly and see how it goes then consider changing the pinbox or hitch.

ken
Old 03-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #30

Pin box

I have an 2014 Rockwood 5th - it has their Revolution pin box which is about 2" narrower than standard boxes. Wondered if anyone has found a replacement "cushioned" box that would fit. I have had no luck.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:19 PM   #31

OK then

If you are looking at having to change the pinbox and the hitch, the answer is simple. Dont. Get a goosebox hitch from reese and done. You already have the gooseneck ball. The goosebox costs as much as a good 5th wheel hitch that has shocks and air but it eliminates the need for the 5th wheel hitch, only uses the gooseneck ball. It also eliminates the "chucking" which is caused by necessary but sometimes excessive clearance with the pin and the hitch jaws. If your ball is ahead of the centerline of the rear axle, like it should be, you will not have the bucking problem either. I have had one for over a year and it tows beautifully. 42 ft 18000# silverback toyhauler, loaded.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinh View Post
If you are looking at having to change the pinbox and the hitch, the answer is simple. Dont. Get a goosebox hitch from reese and done. You already have the gooseneck ball. The goosebox costs as much as a good 5th wheel hitch that has shocks and air but it eliminates the need for the 5th wheel hitch, only uses the gooseneck ball. It also eliminates the "chucking" which is caused by necessary but sometimes excessive clearance with the pin and the hitch jaws. If your ball is ahead of the centerline of the rear axle, like it should be, you will not have the bucking problem either. I have had one for over a year and it tows beautifully. 42 ft 18000# silverback toyhauler, loaded.

Thanks Rockinh! Yeah, that's the beauty part of having a B&W hitch with the turnoverball. I don't know of any other hitches out there that provide multiple towing options like this.

If a Goosebox is installed, no more hitch in the bed of the truck to lug in and out if you need bed space to haul stuff. Plus, I noticed I get better gas mileage without the B&W in the bed.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:03 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanie View Post
I've towed my '12 Sanibel with a '97 dodge 3500 dually with 2 different 5th wheel hitches and an '11 GMC 3500 dually with a B&W companion. I've found that chucking is generally caused by the trailer no being level with the truck. The trailer towed wonderfully behind the dodge once I got the factory rigid pinbox & hitches adjusted correctly. The GMC bed is MUCH higher and even after adjusting it chucked terribly. I bought a new pinbox with the air bladder & shock (don't remember the mfg.) Still chucked but better. I installed taller tires which raised the trailer about 1" and it got much better. I just installed the Moride axle equalizers on the 5th wheel which raised it another inch & I expect it to be much better when I get underway in a couple weeks. I would gladly lower the rear of the truck 2" if I could do it easily but it's NOT easy on this model.

So the moral of this story is... get what you've got set up correctly and see how it goes then consider changing the pinbox or hitch.

ken

Thanks Ken! My F-350 is a stock XL unit with no lifts or big rims, so by default, it's a low rider compared to other trucks I've owned. That said, I've paid close attention to the truck RV combo and appears to be very level to the naked eye from afar, so I don't think there's much more to do there. Plus, I think I have one of the best hitches out there, although there are others that could improve the ride in that area.

I also considered whether an upgraded suspension from what comes stock on the Sabre would likely help too. I really like the MorRyde CRE3000 suspension upgrade, and think it would, at the least, help out a lot too.

Did you install the MorRyde suspension yourself, or did a dealer do the job for you? Looks like a big job, but would do it myself if weren't too bad.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #34

I have a B&W Companion and a Moryde Rubber pin box. When I picked the camper up from the dealer with the stock pin box, the chucking was terrible. After getting it home and investigated, my pin was behind the rear axle. I readjusted the hitch so the pin was ahead of the axle and that helped a lot, but still had chucking. I then installed the rubber pin box and it also helped a lot. I still get some chucking though, not bad.

BTW, You have to check with the trailer frame manufacturer before going to the goose ball hitch as many frames are not designed for it.

2016 RAM 2500 SRW; Wildcat 272RLX
shelkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:24 AM   #35

1st fifth wheel

I just purchased my first 5th wheel last year used, not my first RV, and I looked to see what there was on the market for a good hitch. Everything I saw had these problems.
1: the clinking and bucking of the hitch when accelerating and decelerating.
2:having to keep this hitch mounted to my truck 24/7 365. If I want to remove it, I can, however I would need help moving it.
3: the added weight approx, 200-500lbs taking away from the cargo we can carry.
4: you have to be straight on as much as possible to connect correctly.

I purchased the Anderson hitch. It worked beautifully and smoothly. It can hold and pull way more poundage than my trailer would ever be. Not only that, it takes only 15 mins to attach or remove from my truck without help and weighs only 50lbs. I saw many videos with people thinking the fifth wheel was locked only to find the trailer falling onto the lift gate. A definite mind relaxer. Happy Camping and good luck!!!
Joeski3570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #36
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman99 View Post
I have an 2014 Rockwood 5th - it has their Revolution pin box which is about 2" narrower than standard boxes. Wondered if anyone has found a replacement "cushioned" box that would fit. I have had no luck.
MorRyde makes a replacement with a cushioned plate for the Revolution.
The part number they gave me when inquiring about replacing the Revolution pin box on my 2016 8529IKBS is RTBP83-1622.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MORryde Pin Box RTPB83-1622.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	249492  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Thanks Ken! My F-350 is a stock XL unit with no lifts or big rims, so by default, it's a low rider compared to other trucks I've owned. That said, I've paid close attention to the truck RV combo and appears to be very level to the naked eye from afar, so I don't think there's much more to do there. Plus, I think I have one of the best hitches out there, although there are others that could improve the ride in that area.

I also considered whether an upgraded suspension from what comes stock on the Sabre would likely help too. I really like the MorRyde CRE3000 suspension upgrade, and think it would, at the least, help out a lot too.

Did you install the MorRyde suspension yourself, or did a dealer do the job for you? Looks like a big job, but would do it myself if weren't too bad.
I installed them myself, pretty easy BUT they don't come with wet bolts for the top pivot. I'll need to have a pair made for mine. Mine had a "scissor" type equalizer with a rubber cushion but the grease fittings were buried in "rodent foam" and I didn't realize they were there until I removed them to install the MorRyde CRE3000 parts so they haven't seen grease in 50k miles... Oopps...

I was surprised at how high this stock '11 GMC is, the bedsides are several inches taller than my '97 dodge was and the suspension sits MUCH higher and rides extremely rough empty, sags just to the overload springs with the weight of the 5th wheel in the bed (probably 2800lb). With the trailer as level as I could get it I have only about 8" from the trailer to the bed sides. I've scraped the bed sides with the pin box backing around tight corners into the rv spot I was assigned, not cool.

ken
Old 03-13-2021, 10:11 AM   #38

Ok one thing that needs to be discussed. So you take the 1621 HD standard pin box and it has certain measurements.

I had Amish Family RV upgrade my pin box to what’s supposed to be one of the best the Flex Air. It has the lower piece that the Trail Air doesn’t and it’s hooked to a B&W companion slider.

The measurements are all different. So the Flex Air is longer, which I like, than the 1621 but it’s also taller. So I’ve been struggling really wanting to level my truck. It’s probably 2-3 inches high but I haven’t checked it on my new truck yet.

So I’ve looked at the GenY and the Reese Goosebox and others mostly because the new truck is a long bed.

Much different measurements. You really really need to look at the upgrade pin box and understand those measurements and how it will affect your rig.

My flex air is awesome but it’s too high however when I’m in a campground and slide the B&W I can leave my tailgate down and make a 90 degree turn. That is a huge deal because if you get High in the the middle of the rig, the backend of the pin will scrape the top of the tailgate.

It happened to me that’s why I put the tailgate down. Now some of you will freak out on that but really the tailgate is not even close to my Creek.

The B&W hitch head is positioned on the lowest setting. I think I may have on bolt hole on the flex air to go up but then the air bag fill is like too close to the camper for me to fill it.

So I’m gonna do a mod there and have the pin box raised.

So really look at these measurements before you change.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, replacement, wheel