Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2021, 11:10 AM   #1

Replacing bump stops

I have a 2012 Silverado and recently came across the Timbren replacement bump stops. Curious if anyone has experience with something like these or what your thoughts are. Link below is for model that fits my truck. My tow rating is 9500 lbs. The truck sits almost level with the weight distribution hitch, but would like the rear end to come up a little more and ride a little smoother.

https://timbren.com/i-30497770-timbren-ses-suspension-enhancement-system-sku-gmrck15s-rear-kit.html#!year%3D2012%7C%7Cmake%3DCHEVROLET%7C%7Cm odel%3DSILVERADO%201500%7C%7Csubmodel%3D4WD
gmcnulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcnulty View Post
I have a 2012 Silverado and recently came across the Timbren replacement bump stops. Curious if anyone has experience with something like these or what your thoughts are. Link below is for model that fits my truck. My tow rating is 9500 lbs. The truck sits almost level with the weight distribution hitch, but would like the rear end to come up a little more and ride a little smoother.

https://timbren.com/i-30497770-timbr...submodel%3D4WD
There are tons of threads/posts here about SumoSprings or Timbrens. A quick search will get you days of reading.
I chose SumoSprings for my F150 and love them. I chose them over Timbrens because I like the newer tech urethane over harder rubber.

https://www.superspringsinternational.com/sumosprings/
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:18 PM   #3

I have got the Timbens to my K2500 HD, with good results.

Easy to install. Perhaps a little harsher ride unloaded, but only when hitting big bumps or potholes.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:32 PM   #4

I also like SumoSprings over Timbren. They work perfect when towing but ruined the unloaded ride. Definitely cause a harsh jolt on larger bumps when unloaded and are not adjustable.
Just bite the bullet and install air bags from the start. Infinitely adjustable and will not affect your unloaded ride.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:22 PM   #5

I have SumoSprings on both my tow vehicles. Had air bags on one previous rig. The air bags were more fun and adjustable as needed with separate air feeds on each side. The Sumo's work great when loaded; my experience unloaded is similar to richp and NMwild. Not so bad I'd take them off, just not as soft and pleasant a ride as before.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:21 AM   #6
Camping the Natural State

I also have the Sumo's. They sure tame the ride when loaded but my experience unloaded differs from above. My axles never seem to touch the Sumo's when unloaded.