Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #1

Resurrecting an old thread about safety chains being pinched

I just brought home my new 25RRT with Equalizer WDH. I was out doing a walkaround this weekend just trying to familiarize myself with the trailer and noticed that where the safety chains mount to the frame is all bent up. Trying to figure out what the hell happened to my brand new trailer and came across this older thread (below). The forum would not allow me to comment on the thread due to its age. I am freaking out a little bit because I don't want this to get worse with use and even worse, not function when needed. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? The dealership installed the WDH and hooked me up before heading home.

The original thread can be found here:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...r-98185-2.html
Max_Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Chill View Post
I just brought home my new 25RRT with Equalizer WDH. I was out doing a walkaround this weekend just trying to familiarize myself with the trailer and noticed that where the safety chains mount to the frame is all bent up. Trying to figure out what the hell happened to my brand new trailer and came across this older thread (below). The forum would not allow me to comment on the thread due to its age. I am freaking out a little bit because I don't want this to get worse with use and even worse, not function when needed. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? The dealership installed the WDH and hooked me up before heading home.

The original thread can be found here:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...r-98185-2.html
It's a common issue - but only with some hitch setups, so it seems. I don't seem to have the problem with the way my Recurve R3 is designed. Simple solution: find a local welding shop/fabricator to install new chains for you, mounted a few inches farther back. Your existing chains may even be long enough to use. Prolly won't even cost $100.

2012 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Silver - 117K miles
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - White - 217K miles
2021 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L
Geotrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:19 AM   #3
D W

Without pics of your current configuration it's hard to help you with a solution.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Without pics of your current configuration it's hard to help you with a solution.
Good point. I'll snap a few and see if I can figure out how to get them into this thread.

Steve
Old 03-23-2021, 09:21 AM   #5

See attached pics.

SteveClick image for larger version

Name:	20210323_100000.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	250288Click image for larger version

Name:	20210323_095951.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	250289

2021 Grey Wolf 25RRT Black Label
2019 Nissan Titan tow vehicle
Old 03-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #6
Site Team

Than is not normal and if you never hitched up, it is likely the damage happened at the dealer. The move units around on their lots with many unconventional methods and it looks like that is what caused that damage. I would send photos to the dealer and the FR Division and request it be replaced.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Than is not normal and if you never hitched up, it is likely the damage happened at the dealer. The move units around on their lots with many unconventional methods and it looks like that is what caused that damage. I would send photos to the dealer and the FR Division and request it be replaced.
X2!
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Just talked to the salesman. He told me to email the pics to the warranty department at the dealership. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for your help.

Steve
Old 03-23-2021, 01:21 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
Yup, looks like they've been jockeying it around the yard with chains hooked to a forklift.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #10

From the rust on it I would argue that the damage is not new and was not caused by the drive home.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
From the rust on it I would argue that the damage is not new and was not caused by the drive home.
In fairness, I did drive through some rain, sleet, and flurries on the drive home...and even where my WDH rubbed together, there was some surface corrosion.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Yup, looks like they've been jockeying it around the yard with chains hooked to a forklift.
It's been forwarded on to FR for investigation. Hopefully they will contact me sooner rather than later. I told them that I will not be hooking this trailer up until they say so.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Chill View Post
In fairness, I did drive through some rain, sleet, and flurries on the drive home...and even where my WDH rubbed together, there was some surface corrosion.
Even so, I will still argue that did not happen on your way home.
Even if the chains were too short, the metal has been bent by something other than those attaching points of the chains with the two bolts. Could that have been the hitch?... I don't know but if the dealer set it up for you and didn't make sure everything was right, you need for them to look at it.

While I wouldn't say you cannot use the trailer until it is fixed, it should be repaired and made whole.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:33 PM   #14

What about one of the points made in the old forum the OP referenced? Specifically that the anchors for the two chains are too close together. Should the trailer ever come off the ball, the chains won't form an "X" cradle to catch the tip.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #15

All good points being made here and I really appreciate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Even so, I will still argue that did not happen on your way home.
Even if the chains were too short, the metal has been bent by something other than those attaching points of the chains with the two bolts. Could that have been the hitch?... I don't know but if the dealer set it up for you and didn't make sure everything was right, you need for them to look at it.

While I wouldn't say you cannot use the trailer until it is fixed, it should be repaired and made whole.
Yeah, at worst I'd say the wet ride home only exacerbated the corrosive conditions. I really only want to not use the trailer so that FR can't come back and deny any sort of warranty claim.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #16

Check the markings on the bolts to see how strong they are.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=differ...lts&FORM=QSRE1
Old 03-23-2021, 04:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
What about one of the points made in the old forum the OP referenced? Specifically that the anchors for the two chains are too close together. Should the trailer ever come off the ball, the chains won't form an "X" cradle to catch the tip.

I was actually hoping to find the answer to this question when I saw your post. My chains are close together just like yours and there is no way to cradle the tongue with this set up.

Anyone, is there a way to correct this mistake by FR on these units. When I hook up my chains, if there was a problem, I am sure the tongue would just drop and dig into the asphalt or skim along give no assistance to the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:47 PM   #18

I had the same problem. Only when making fairly tight turns.

My post.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...in-224317.html

Never got a reply. Must of got lost

I fixed it.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
I had the same problem. Only when making fairly tight turns.

My post.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...in-224317.html

Never got a reply. Must of got lost

I fixed it.
How did you fix it?

2021 Grey Wolf 25RRT Black Label
2019 Nissan Titan tow vehicle
Old 03-23-2021, 11:22 PM   #20

Cut the offending chain loops off. Bolted the new extra heavy duty chains with grade 8 bolts further back on the tongue.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety