Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Riding Lawnmower to Park/Tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
The green paint is about $4K of that price. That stuff is expensive!

I suppose you could buy a mahindra [emoji23]
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #22

I don't view tractors as riding lawnmowers. I could probably move my trailer with my ferguson 20 but I wouldn't be able to back it up cause no mirrors and if I hooked it up backwards I wouldn't be able to see around it.

This thread is pretty silly, and then get chewed out on top of it.

My labrador retriever can pull my bicycle but he can't pull my silverado.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #23

" and then get chewed out on top of it "
??????????????????
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I don't view tractors as riding lawnmowers. I could probably move my trailer with my ferguson 20 but I wouldn't be able to back it up cause no mirrors and if I hooked it up backwards I wouldn't be able to see around it.

This thread is pretty silly, and then get chewed out on top of it.

My labrador retriever can pull my bicycle but he can't pull my silverado.
Agree, common sense isn't so common now days!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
" and then get chewed out on top of it "
??????????????????
OP didn't like the answers he was getting.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #26

Riding mowers in the 18-22 HP range have sheet metal chassis bent at 90 degrees for a "hitch" and a hole for a pin. I put a ball on our JD to maneuver a 12' utility flat bed trailer. They just are not made to do that. If you had a Cub LoBoy or a compact tractor with a substantial chassis, I would say yes provided you are on a flat surface.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I suppose you could buy a mahindra [emoji23]
I've heard they're made in the same factory, but I haven't confirmed that. I did use a neighbors 30HP Mahindra the other day that was very nice. OTOH, I've used my cousins ~80HP John Deere and it is really nice. Think the 50HP plus JD's are still made in the US, but wouldn't swear to that. I know that the ergonomics of the larger JD compared to other brands is significantly better, whereas the smaller Mahindra seemed to be on par.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25FKS View Post
As I said in my original post - Has anyone used a riding lawnmower to position/park their TT? What can I expect? How big (hp) is required for a 6200 max gross TT?

I had all of my own suspicions and I am in the process of getting a Powermover. I wanted to hear from someone that ACTUALLY did it and what they discovered ....

Forums are full of opinions which to me if not based on first hand experience and fact are totally as bad as politics.

I've only been a member for a short time, but I will not say how I am feeling so far (Mom said, "if you don't have anything nice to say, ........"). I even tried once to assist others and wow - that won't happen again. I guess I will resign to just sit in the background and only read from time to time - possibly only as a guest.
Note from site team:

There is really no need to get upset. Forums are going to offer opinions and advice based off of experience where it is practical. Sometimes questions may get asked, where there is in reality no practical experience that can be offered...which this could be the case here. When that happens, then opinions are the best case scenario that can be offered.

Our members here are doing their best to help, and as such, their time and effort should be appreciated as much.

Even if they cannot offer advice based from experience in this scenario, their collective wisdom should not be written off due to it either. Take for example someone asking if it hurts to stick your hand in a fire. Most people don't have to have first hand experience with it to know it would, and their common sense opinion is sufficient. We think that is the advice you are being offered, and doing what you are asking is kinda akin to playing with fire, and there are too many things that can go wrong where you may get burned.

You can accept their advice or not, and it is your opinion if it helps you. That's just how online forums work.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #29

That's almost what I have Turbs. A JD 4310 and it works fine for the brother's pop up camper. My Sabre will never see this tractor attached to it!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #30
Wanna Be Camper

Just some food for thought. I have a John Deere 2320 Compact Utility tractor (weighs a little over 2200lbs with loaded tires)and the 3pt hitch is rated at 1150lbs 24" behind the lift arms, I also have an X485 HD Garden tractor (weighs about 900 lb) and the limited cat 1 hitch is rated at 685Lbs lift. I have lifted 1000lb hay bales with the 2320 so I have no doubt it is capable of moving a 6000lb trailer very carefully on flat ground. I would not under an circumstance try the same thing with my X485 and it is probably one of the finest garden tractor ever built. BTW just so I am clear I used the 3pt hitch as the reference as that is the only way I would attempt this even though I do have a solid draw bar and I keep the 3pt hitch below the centerline of the rear differential for safety.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Take for example someone asking if it hurts to stick your hand in a fire. Most people don't have to have first hand experience with it to know it would, and their common sense opinion is sufficient.
Which part of the fire? Many years ago, my dad got sloppy drunk while camping and feel into the fire. We got lucky that there was a 20" diameter tree trunk in it and the top hadn't lit yet. He caught himself on that and then I put him to bed.

I guess technically, he fell into the fire. But not the flame.

He looked a little like this:
Old 04-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #32

Yeah, I tried it with my Snapper riding mower. Wouldn't budge the trailer. Turns out my mower has a drive belt - - not a chain drive or a geared rear end - - and even though the engine power was there the belt would only spin and spin and spin. Had to replace it AND the drive disc it wrapped around.

Maybe if you have a chain drive or geared mower it might work with a 20+hp mower. I ended up building a dedicated mover using a 3000# 12v winch and a chain to gear setup. Works great.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
OP didn't like the answers he was getting.

Yup. I guess the answer to his question was "No."

Generally this is a very friendly forum full of great ideas and information, but people don't react too well when someone get snippy.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #34

Yes I have and do all the time.
That being said I have a JD 2520 compact tractor. It is 26 horse power. Approximately the same footprint as a side by side or a golf cart. . I use a 3pt hitch trailer mover that I built, but they are readily available to buy on eBay. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1459998110.802583.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	104128
I only know JD model numbers, but there are plenty of other brands that are great also, and some are a bit cheaper, but surprisingly the green paint is usually not the most expensive. For a JD model the smallest that would be really good for moving a camper sized trailer is probably the 2025R and it will have around 1100 pounds of 3 point hitch lift capacity.
That being said, I love moving my trailers around with my little tractor. Since it is on the 3pt hitch I am able to lift it, so I just back up to the trailer, lift the ball up using the hitch height control, and then drive away. So getting off to crank the jack. It is also very maneuverable to get into tight areas. The only downfall is it is very hard to see behind to back up, as you are sitting centered with the trailer and don't have mirrors. To back up into anything but an open area you would need either a spotter or mount a back up camera on the back of the traile and a monitor on the tractor hood.
I also love love love mowing with my tractor. Being a diesel it cuts so fast and has the torque to not bog down I. Heavy or wet grass. The only downfall with mowing is it has a roll bar, so you can't get far under overhanging tree branches.
Brakes aren't a concern moving trailers around at yard speeds on relatively flat ground. The tractor has decent brakes and if you were in a panic you could drop the hitch down onto the jack. If you did have hills and wanted brakes it wouldn't be hard to mount a brake controller on the tractor, and apply the brakes through the slide switch on the controller.
3pt trailer movers and moving trailers with compact tractors is very very common on the compact tractor forum I am a part of.
Kevinwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinwak View Post
Yes I have and do all the time.
That being said I have a JD 2520 compact tractor. It is 26 horse power. Approximately the same footprint as a side by side or a golf cart. . I use a 3pt hitch trailer mover that I built, but they are readily available to buy on eBay.
I also have a 2520 JD... but as I read the OP's question, he's/she's asking about using a riding mower, not a tractor. "Has anyone used a riding lawnmower to position/park their TT?"

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I also have a 2520 JD... but as I read the OP's question, he's/she's asking about using a riding mower, not a tractor. "Has anyone used a riding lawnmower to position/park their TT?"

Sorry. I thought I would give the OP my positive feedback on his question. He asked about using a mower and what size would be needed. Well a compact tractor is pretty much the smallest size mower that you could use for moving a trailer. Sure, it's title is tractor, but it is still a very great mower
Old 04-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Yup. I guess the answer to his question was "No."

Generally this is a very friendly forum full of great ideas and information, but people don't react too well when someone get snippy.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Probably had everyone just stated "NO" and left it at that he wouldn't have gotten snippy. Appears he wasn't seeking additional commentary. Very hard not to get additional advice on these forums though. Everyone is trying to oblige best they can.

I had a boss many years ago when I was a youngster working at the local Theater that was much like this. He would ask a direct question and he expected a direct answer. That's just how he was. Still, a helluva nice guy though.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #38

Duplicate
Old 04-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25FKS View Post
Has anyone used a riding lawnmower to position/park their TT? What can I expect? How big (hp) is required for a 6200 max gross TT?
First move should be to bend over and kiss the Lawn Tractors tyranny,,,
GOODBY !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:27 AM   #40

Saw this one on youtube.
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote