Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #21
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort View Post
How do they hold up being so close to the tailpipe on a GM diesel? I thought they might melt during a regen.
They recommend a heat shield when using it on the GM/Chev trucks. It's a metal heat shield that attaches directly to the rubber flap...saw pictures of it on one of the sites...can't recall if it was on Rock Tamer site or a vendor site.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarb View Post
Went to pickup new fw last week. Put on the Rock Tamers (maiden voyage) for the trip to protect the new trailer. Made it all the way back and on the last day winds were sustained 21 gusting to the mid 30s. This is what they looked like when we pulled in to the home place.
tbarb, That is a shame that something went terribly wrong with that set of Rock Tamers. I'm glad that the company was able to replace them for you but I would love to know what happened.
I have had my Rock Tamers on 3 seperate trucks starting in 2003 and are on my 2014 now. The only thing that happened to mine was about a 1 inch weld broke that secures the rubber flap, which could have happened to yours. I took it to a shop and had it rewelded for minimal cost, and everything is good.
Makes me wonder if on yours one or more of the tack welds broke loose and caused the failure?
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
tbarb, That is a shame that something went terribly wrong with that set of Rock Tamers. I'm glad that the company was able to replace them for you but I would love to know what happened.
I have had my Rock Tamers on 3 seperate trucks starting in 2003 and are on my 2014 now. The only thing that happened to mine was about a 1 inch weld broke that secures the rubber flap, which could have happened to yours. I took it to a shop and had it rewelded for minimal cost, and everything is good.
Makes me wonder if on yours one or more of the tack welds broke loose and caused the failure?
Where is the "Weld" ours are all Forged brackets? Youroo!!
Old 10-26-2017, 05:16 AM   #24

Bought our "Rock Tamers" in Goshen this year! Our Reese stinger needed to be machined so the Center Hub would fit between the Receiver and Stinger! It was fully assembled so "Witch Doctor" offered to insert it in his truck and drop it off at our house! His 5th wheel was "Clean" when we arrived at our house,our TT was Covered with "Horse Exhaust" from Elkhart County! I had a hard time "Negotiating the Removal of the Rock Tamers" from his truck! But after several we came to a agreement! I really think they will keep the "Winter Snow/Salt Slop" off the front of our Snowmobile Trailer! Youroo!!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Where is the "Weld" ours are all Forged brackets? Youroo!!
Youroo, My Rock Tamers had several small metal tabs welded to the round silver bar that attaches into the brass center support. Off of the welded tabs the rubber flaps were bolted onto those tabs. I can see by the picture that they have made a change in the way they are made now. The picture looks like there is a part that slides over the round silver bar where mine was welded, not sure how this one attaches to the silver round stock support. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I can't tell real well from tbarb's picture. It even looks like the center fixture is no longer brass, as mine is.
I guess things can change over 14 years, but I can say that mine has held up very well, except for the one 1 inch tack weld that broke. Glad I caught it before I had a problem like tbarb. I had the welder run over all of the welds just to make sure.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #26

No Weld,No Brass,the Rubber Retainment piece just clamps on the Round Tubes like the arms! I think they went to "Forged Alum" to reduce weight,still a Quality Assy! Youroo!!
Old 11-25-2017, 11:20 PM   #27
WFD

Those of you using the Rock Tamers...do you find having the open gap in the middle, that some stones get by there , or has that pretty much been a non issue?
Old 11-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort View Post
How do they hold up being so close to the tailpipe on a GM diesel? I thought they might melt during a regen.

My Towtectors have a heat shield for the Duramax.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #29
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
My Towtectors have a heat shield for the Duramax.
Is it an actual shield? I saw on the Towtector website that for the newer Duramax rather than have a shield they actually lowered the top bracket and put heat deflectors so the heat from exhaust does not come in contact with the brushes. It's sort of "L" shaped is the best way I can describe.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Is it an actual shield? I saw on the Towtector website that for the newer Duramax rather than have a shield they actually lowered the top bracket and put heat deflectors so the heat from exhaust does not come in contact with the brushes. It's sort of "L" shaped is the best way I can describe.
Yes, the L shape is there but call them heat shields or deflectors the combination really works. I have traveled about 25,000 miles with the Towtector including about 13,000 miles to Alaska and back, not a ding. Love the Towtechtor. Easily removed for storage in just a few minutes.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote