Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2018, 12:36 AM   #61

Truxedo Lo Pro. Had them on 2 different trucks with no problems. It does add about 1/2" to the bed height as someone mentioned. Great product
Old 11-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #62
Canadian Member

Another vote for the Truxedo Truxport here. I had one on my F-150 (Ford-branded accessory but its the Truxport) and when I upgraded to my F-250 I had one installed by the dealer as part of the package. Really like it. The only thing I would change is the Velcro straps that secure it when open. I prefer the buckles that I had on an Extrang Trifecta cover. Having had both the tri-fold and the roll up, I like the roll up much better.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #63

Access all the way! I've Extang, Pace Edwards and now my second Access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
Yes I've wondered about the ice /snow.
No problem here with roll ups, I just clear it off before driving. I've had a couple feet of snow on all of my tonneau covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayuu View Post
The guy with the knife doesn’t know that you don’t store anything of value!
Almost 20 years using roll up Tonneau covers, never ever has that guy with the knife touched mine. Actually, I don't know of anyone who has. With that logic, don't tint your windows, that guy with the hammer might smash a window to se if anything of value is in there.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMANUEL74 View Post
Access all the way! I've Extang, Pace Edwards and now my second Access.

No problem here with roll ups, I just clear it off before driving. I've had a couple feet of snow on all of my tonneau covers.

Almost 20 years using roll up Tonneau covers, never ever has that guy with the knife touched mine. Actually, I don't know of anyone who has. With that logic, don't tint your windows, that guy with the hammer might smash a window to se if anything of value is in there.
Careful with the tint thing.
Here in SW Florida tint is the only way to keep cabin temperatures reasonable. I do legal tint, you would be amazed at the difference it makes. NO, I am not in favor of 'limo' tint.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:32 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ulmer View Post
X2 on the BakFlip MX4. I'm happy with mine. Leaks a little bit, but then they pretty much all do. Generally keeps stuff in the bed dry, plus it locks at 6 points so it's pretty secure. Mine actually has 4 sections (for my 6-1/2 foot bed). You can fold up the other 3 sections on top of the 1 section in front nearest the cab and drive with it that way. Or you can fold all 4 sections up against the cab rear window and lock them in place with a couple of rods to have clear access to the entire bed.

mine's on its second truck. looking a bit worn now and the anodizing does not like bird poo. it's served its purpose and i like how it works with the fifth wheel. Like the canister roll up style too but they look heavy to remove if I want a full bed.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:50 AM   #66

I have a tri fold on both of my trucks, one of them is for my fifth wheel and they work great .they don't leak, if you need to pull them back ,very simple and convenient. recommendation is you buy a tri-fold it is awesome.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Forest River Forums mobile app
raceready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #67

Yes. It folds back to within about 2ft of truck
Works great.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Forest River Forums mobile app
raceready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmast View Post
Something to consider....

I have a tri-fold on my long bed. Good price, works great, stays securely in place when hooked up to fiver.

Then I added a 60 gal auxiliary fuel tank in truck bed. I have to completely remove the cover to fill the aux tank.

I'm now in the market for a roll-up.
Which is why I said Retrax.
Which is why I sold a great Backflip F2 to get the Retrax.
Which works great with my Transfer Flow Trax3 tank.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #69

Retrax

Retrax works best- expensive but cheaper in the long run
DeeWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #70
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If you get the Truxedo, do NOT get the roll-up one that also allows you to open up the front of the cover. Mine leaks. Also, you have to roll the cover up in the normal fashion in order to get to the lock for the front half, so it kind of defeats the whole purpose, IMHO; unless you don't care about having it locked.

I had a regular roll-up one on my older Silverado and it was fine.
Quote:
Don't get the Deuce. Leaks, and in order to lock the front opening part, you have to roll it up. Doesn't make sense.
rockfordroo,

Not sure how old your Deuce is but on mine, it does not leak (even at the car wash) and you do not have to roll it open to get to the LATCH to open the front folding part. There are LATCHES on either side so you can open from the drivers side or the passenger side.

Yes... there is a LOCK that you can set so the outside LATCHES can't be opened and you do have to roll up the cover to lock or unlock but under normal use, no rolling up required.

I love mine. My 5th wheel hitch hides nicely under it when closed and I can get to the in the front of the bed mounted toolbox easily (or other items when I remove the box) and zero problems with snow load of over a foot at times through the winter months.

I would buy another in a heartbeat.

TruXedo Deuce

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree on this one, especially if you buy one thats decent quality and one from the last 10 years. I’ve purchased at least 5 different trucks in the past 15 years either for work or for personal and all have had on them are roll up soft covers from Truxedo, Access, Lund and a factory GM unit and ALL have worked exactly as they should. And none were bothered by snow and ice.

If you’ve had problems with snaps or Velcro then they are either very old, or very cheap. I’ve also used those types in the past and yeah, they suck and have all the problems mentioned. But they were cheap and all I could afford at the time.

OP, I personally like Truxedo and Access units the best, and I like the between the rail styles, though I don’t need my bed 100% waterproof, just water resistant. If you need water proof, in other words NO moisture back there at all, get the low profile, over the rail type.

I have to disagree also. We have had an Access roll-up cover on our 2013 Silverado since new. No smell, the cover rolls up and store well, is easy for one person to handle, and the Velcro has held up well. We went with Access for price and because we had one on our '08 Sierra since new. Like a broken record, when we buy another truck, we will buy another Access.

PS: We have also had great success with keeping our cargo dry.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Had a Retrax, very nice cover. The only downside is the "box" the cover rolls into underneath takes up quite a bit of bed space.
Still suggest you take a look at the FoldaCover if you want to spend a little more than your average cover.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
rockfordroo,

Not sure how old your Deuce is but on mine, it does not leak (even at the car wash) and you do not have to roll it open to get to the LATCH to open the front folding part. There are LATCHES on either side so you can open from the drivers side or the passenger side.

Yes... there is a LOCK that you can set so the outside LATCHES can't be opened and you do have to roll up the cover to lock or unlock but under normal use, no rolling up required.

I love mine. My 5th wheel hitch hides nicely under it when closed and I can get to the in the front of the bed mounted toolbox easily (or other items when I remove the box) and zero problems with snow load of over a foot at times through the winter months.

I would buy another in a heartbeat.

TruXedo Deuce
As I said in post #2: "Also, you have to roll the cover up in the normal fashion in order to get to the lock for the front half..."

and in Post #49: "...and in order to lock the front opening part, you have to roll it up."

I've had it for 2-1/2 years and it's leaked since Day 1. Truxedo sent me something to help. It was a 12 ft long, 5/16" wide strip of sticky backed tape to put under the rails, but it still leaks. I even caulked the hinge area, as I don't bother using the front opening thing anymore.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #74

one deciding factor for me was how the rails mount. I cannot afford to give up any clearance for my 5er since I tow a bit offroad. Some of these area super slick put the rails stick up 1"+ above the rail, no bueno
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #75

I’ve had one of the BakFlip aluminum rib rollup types on my Ram for 3 years and like it with exception of two things. First, if you like to drive with the rear cab window open you can hear the cover rattle a bit. I rarely drive at highway speeds with the rear window open so not really a big deal for me. Secondly, and more irritating, unless they have redesigned the exterior half of the strap that holds the rolled up cover from unrolling, half of the strap hangs off the front if the cover and between the cab and the front of the bed. This results in the strap/buckle swinging around between the bed and cab in the wind and rattles against the back of the cab. Irritating. I ended up gluing a magnet to one side of the buckle so it would stick to the bed and not flap around against the cab. This worked good until the magnet fell off a few months ago and I haven’t glued another one on yet. Hopefully they’ve redesigned that strap by now. Beyond that it’s been a good cover, looks good, and can be rolled up and out if the way without covering the back window or 1/3 of the bed like some of the fold up types.
Ezgoin721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #76

This is my second Truexdo and I love it PLUS my boyfriend bought one for his truck. He especially likes it because it DOES roll up and we roll it up and tie it so he can pull the 5th wheel. I can keep our golf clubs in mine and it doesn’t leave at all!

They are speedy but I think they are we worth it~
Lady_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #77

Quote:
If you get the Truxedo, do NOT get the roll-up one that also allows you to open up the front of the cover. Mine leaks. Also, you have to roll the cover up in the normal fashion in order to get to the lock for the front half, so it kind of defeats the whole purpose, IMHO; unless you don't care about having it locked.

I had a regular roll-up one on my older Silverado and it was fine.
This. Transporting my new $300 mattress to the TT, I decided to stop by the car wash. I have a waterbed.
planecrashlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #78
CherokeeDave

I have a Vanish roll up on my 2016 Ram 1500. It mounts inside the rails and allows use of the stake pockets. The tailgate must be open to unlatch the cover. It has been through two Vermont winters and a South Carolina summer with no signs of wear. No issues at all traveling with it rolled up or covered.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #79
MBB

I bought a Truxedo X-15 about a year ago. Very happy with it.
MBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #80

I have a Pace Edwards Heavy Metal. I have had it almost 10 years. I do not lube it with anything other than silicon. Pace Edwards has replaced the pull cord and the plastic parts that slide on the rails. No charge. It is expensive, but long lasting and looks good. Never had a leak.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, cover