Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #1

Roo 21SS coupler issue

Hi all, newbie here with a new 21SS.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the trailer being hooked up to the truck on delivery day (I was backing the truck ), so my first experience was when we got home. After removing the WDH bars and lowering the trailer back down, I could NOT get the coupler to release (lift and slide back the latch, right?). Only after a few gentle taps with a rubber mallet would it release. Same for re-hooking as part of practicing - had to use the mallet to get the latch to close.

Suggestions? I greased the latch, but do I smother the ball in grease?

Thanks for any and all suggestions - I'm sure this will not be my first newbie post!
Glenn Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:40 PM   #2

You may need to ease your TV forward to release any pressure. The ball should 'lean' against the front of the coupler rather than the back.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:44 PM   #3

Agreed. The tow vehicle needs to be moved forward.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthedog View Post
You may need to ease your TV forward to release any pressure. The ball should 'lean' against the front of the coupler rather than the back.
x3!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:37 PM   #5

The coupler will decouple better in tension -- with some forward pressure from the truck. Just the opposite when coupling. The coupler should have to reach for the ball -- the trailer will slide very slightly forward or the truck back. Talking a 1/4 inch here. Note where the coupler was when it uncoupled in tension.

-- Chuck
Old 06-11-2021, 07:09 AM   #6

From the hammer marks on mine, I believe mine was damaged by a previous owner. I keep a claw hammer in the battery box to pry it open, and a rubber mallet to close it. If your's isn't already damaged, follow the advice above or buy a couple of hammers.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:30 AM   #7

Or replace the coupler, they're just welded on.

-- Chuck
Old 06-11-2021, 08:31 AM   #8

When I bought my first trailer the dealer told me, "I've seen people beat coupler latches with hammers, pry them with screwdrivers and tire irons, jump up and down on the bumper. But you know what really works? Just move the truck an inch, usually forward. If you can't work the latch easily by hand, your truck just needs to be moved a little bit and it's a whole lot easier than all the things I've seen people do."
Old 06-12-2021, 10:53 PM   #9

My coupler used to be sticky, but some judicious application of white lithium spray lube made it work a whole lot better and ended my sticking problem. I tried repositioning the truck, but that didn't work for me.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My coupler used to be sticky, but some judicious application of white lithium spray lube made it work a whole lot better and ended my sticking problem. I tried repositioning the truck, but that didn't work for me.
But you did find a permanent solution other than beating it with a hammer or jumping up and down on the bumper...
Old 06-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #11

Thanks all for the suggestions. The first camping trip was a success! The coupler co-operated without need for the mallet. I think a combination of some grease and re-positioning the TV are things to remember
Glenn Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:47 PM   #12
Dobbs from WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
The coupler will decouple better in tension -- with some forward pressure from the truck. Just the opposite when coupling. The coupler should have to reach for the ball -- the trailer will slide very slightly forward or the truck back. Talking a 1/4 inch here. Note where the coupler was when it uncoupled in tension.

-- Chuck
I agree with the 1/4". I've found that just leaning against the tailgate and a little push is sometimes all that is needed to couple/un-couple. Plus just plain use the trailer! Our first time with our new trailer things were difficult. Just got back from our fifth weekend and it works so much better.
Happy camping!
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupler, roo