Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2022, 08:53 AM   #21

We have done this.

We used to travel with our ferrets and cats in cages inside our 5er while driving with the dogs in the cab of the truck. We ran two Honda generators (parallel connection) so that we could run the air conditioner, my husband added eye bolts to the truck bed to strap them down securely. We even made a rain cover so that they would stay dry if it rained - it was also strapped down securely when moving (the cover was a box made from PVC pipe that I sewed a tarp to fit it) this cover was used on the ground at NASCAR races when we were boondocking, too. I bought an outdoor digital thermometer to use, zip-tying the sensor unit to one of the cages, and had the monitor in the truck so that I could know what the temp was in the 5er. (The cages were in the front nose wardrobe closet located above the hitch so they have a very smooth ride.) The ferrets and cats went all over the country from Yellowstone to Maine to Florida. What great memories we made and everyone stayed together. We never had a problem running the air conditioner while traveling over many many miles.
tmp1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLori View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here goes,
I want to run my air conditioner in my fifth wheel before getting to my destination 200 miles away in the desert. I have a champion generator and Want to run it while towing so I can cool off the inside of the 5er so it will be relatively nice inside when we arrive at our campground. Are there any issues legal or otherwise I should be aware of before doing this.? I will be towing through the california desert. I would like to run the gen for at least 2 hours before my arrival. I have all my windows covered with sun shade inside. Vents are also insulated.
DannyLori,
I do that exact same thing. 34’ 5th wheel with Honda Generator on reinforced heavy duty rear bumper. It plugs in right there to trailer. With easy start in A/C.
BIG DIFFERENCE inside. Don’t forget to have the Neutral-Ground Bonding Plug in place to get by surge protector. That was my only issue.
Also if going through mountains the oil level will get jacked up and might shut gen off.
We are heading to Az and Co.
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, generator, tow, towing, truck