Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 05:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I've never seen but one semi-truck on a CAT scale, either.

It clearly happens.....when I'm not seeing it.
That is a VERY good point, especially considering that there are hundreds of truck on the roads for every RV.

In addition, our loads are mostly the same, every time we head out.

I weighed my rig when I got a different truck but since then there is no point, nothing significant changes.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:56 AM   #22

The scenario for a tractor trailer is quite different than an rv. The pro driver rolls on, answer first weigh or reweigh, truck # and roll off. No screwing around on the scale. They know where their axles are. If they adjust king pin or axles or sometimes the load- it will be in the parking lot.
I have witnessed a pick up truck and tt actually disassemble his wdh while on the scale, And a flatbed waiting to scale behind him. There was a conversation that I would have loved to hear Lol
Please, for the cost of $2, get off the scale, make your adjustments at your leisure and reweigh. If you are in for $12 then another $2 isn’t going to break you.
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #23

if i remember properly it took me three weighs to get the numbers i wanted.
1. truck and trailer (but trailer axles were on same pad)
2. trailer axles on two separate pads
3. truck only
you do all the hooking / unhooking in the parking lot!

the most reassuring part of this weighing is that my two trailer axles were within 100 pounds of each other. they are rated at 7,000 lb per axle and they were carrying 6200 and 6300 lbs. and the tires are rated for 3,750 each. so if i stay at 65 mph while towing i know i am under the specs. that's no guarantee that a problem won't occur, but i know that i am minimizing the possibility. i don't want problems!
Old 06-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20loo View Post
The scenario for a tractor trailer is quite different than an rv. The pro driver rolls on, answer first weigh or reweigh, truck # and roll off. No screwing around on the scale. They know where their axles are. If they adjust king pin or axles or sometimes the load- it will be in the parking lot.
I have witnessed a pick up truck and tt actually disassemble his wdh while on the scale, And a flatbed waiting to scale behind him. There was a conversation that I would have loved to hear Lol
Please, for the cost of $2, get off the scale, make your adjustments at your leisure and reweigh. If you are in for $12 then another $2 isn’t going to break you.
The CAT scales I have been to tell you when to stop when you have all 3 axles where they belong.

If you want a reweigh they tell you to LEAVE the scale and disconnect in the parking lot.

They WILL NOT allow you to disconnect on the scales. If something goes horribly wrong their scales are shut down til they get you and your trailer off of the scales.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #25

[QUOTE=CHICKDOE;2114446 i don't want problems![/QUOTE]

Neither Me, I do my utmost to solve them before they happen.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #26
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Neither Me, I do my utmost to solve them before they happen.
Consider calling your state highway patrol office. They usually have portable scales and some will weigh you for free as part of their outreach program.

Ray
Old 06-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #27

In farming areas, you either have a drive on scale at the farm, or can use one at various loading docks.
Even with scales so readily available, I don't see the need to weigh the rig more than once. And my once was with the latest RV, just to verify published weights (which were surprisingly very close). But then I've never agonized over this type of thing.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
The CAT scales I have been to tell you when to stop when you have all 3 axles where they belong.

If you want a reweigh they tell you to LEAVE the scale and disconnect in the parking lot.

They WILL NOT allow you to disconnect on the scales. If something goes horribly wrong their scales are shut down til they get you and your trailer off of the scales.
The one I go to will let you stay on and reweigh IF you go in to ask first, tell them the plan if it isn't a busy day.

I did four in 10 minutes that way one slow Saturday morning. No other truck weighed in for hours before I came in so they were happy for the excuse to help me out. He even took the time read the 4 sheets for comparison, and agreed that three chain links on the WDH was the way to go
luker0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
In farming areas, you either have a drive on scale at the farm, or can use one at various loading docks.
Even with scales so readily available, I don't see the need to weigh the rig more than once. And my once was with the latest RV, just to verify published weights (which were surprisingly very close). But then I've never agonized over this type of thing.
Same here, truck/5er combination, loaded for a trip weighed once. No tmuch ever changes so I figure we ae good to go.

Different truck and/or camper, have to follow the process one more time.....but not until something changes.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #30

Semi trucks have a variable load every time they hook up. No two loads are the same. But as Douglas Reid said, mine is pretty much stagnant. I did weigh it. I know where I am. I may again one day, if I get time.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #31

CAT Scales Ap

CAT Scales has a great Ap for your "smart" phone. Ypu don't even have to go inside to pay after weighing!
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #32

So after posting I did weigh my 5er today only 3rd time in 7 years. Did mostly out of curiosity . Lady running scales acted lost when I couldn’t give her truck number for ticket. I will be first to say. I would go by how my rig looked for example is my bumper dragging are my tires full but look flat under load ect I guess it’s good knowledge but I never traded a truck or down sized trailer because I was overweight. If I was honest my current setup is probably only time since I 6 years I haven’t been over.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:28 AM   #33
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Very few and far between that an RV rolls over a scale.

One thing that I do think people get hung up on is that they "need" to use a CAT scale. I've always just used a standard scale and taken measurements and subtracted weights as I rolled on. It's a little more math but the same concept. The spreadsheet I use actually does all the calculating as I enter the scale data.

Living in WA, I need to find a CAT or other private scale. Local dirt suppliers are easy and close by with large scales.

When we travelled through OR this year and last, they have roadside scales that I have rolled across. Those are very handy and I wish we had them up here.
Can you share the spreadsheet for others?

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 AM   #34

Another option: if you have a local stone quarry, they will often let you roll across their scale (especially if you buy stone from them.)😂
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #35

I had my new 5r on the CAT scale a few weekends ago, 3x in a day.

Here's how I did it,

The phone App makes it easy once you know how to use the APP.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #36

Cat Scales

Weighed both a travel trailer and our FR Forester 30DLL on CAT Scales. Especially with the motor home it is nice to gross weight for over all loading. Usually run it across the scales once a year.
StevieV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #37

I had thought about doing this today, but have no idea how to do it. Do you weigh the combined rig and then unhook and do just the truck? Chevy 2500 with a Rockwood 2906ws TT. Any advice to not look an idiot is appreciated.
jbrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:39 PM   #38

RV on CAT scales

I weigh ours before we travel long distance at a Pilot fuel station so I know what I weigh . The last time before heading out west we weighed in at 34,000 lbs. this included our tow car . The RV is a 35 foot Dynamax 350 Grand Sport and our tow is a Honda Element .
Baddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrobson View Post
I had thought about doing this today, but have no idea how to do it. Do you weigh the combined rig and then unhook and do just the truck? Chevy 2500 with a Rockwood 2906ws TT. Any advice to not look an idiot is appreciated.
I weigh whenever I get another TT, usually hooked up, you get trailer axles and truck axles; leave TT on scales without truck to find out the true tounge weight; $ 10 for first weight, and $2 for each additional
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:27 AM   #40
Crookedread

Oregon Rocks

In Oregon, the scale is on and you get your weight off a reader board even when the Weigh Master isn’t there. I have taken my trailer in and adjusted bars on the WD hitch and adjusted loads until I got what I wanted. I always pull forward in case someone else comes in while I’m doing the adjustment. After getting everything adjusted on a truck and trailer that was close on every axle, I was rewarded with an excellent driving rig. By the way, it’s also a good idea to take a weight on one side of your trailer to ensure you are not overloaded from side to side. I had a situation where I needed to move one of my quads closer to one side when the water was full to more evenly distribute the weight. People always bitch about the weight police but my truck and trailer tow so nice it was definitely worth the effort!!
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, scales