Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

RV specific GPS systems?

I have been looking at the Good Sam enhanced GPS by Rand McNally vs the Magellan RV systems.

Anybody actually have hands on road miles with one of these? All the campgrounds and POI's are nice but I'm really more interested in low bridges, steep hills and fuel stops I can't get out of once I'm in there.

Your experiences?

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #2

I have the Magellan RV5365LMB. Now, I'm not a huge traveler but I find it a useful "tool" to help me find my way around. It has never kept me from pulling into a fuel stop, etc. It will freak out if I don't turn where it tells me too. I have it set to avoid tunnels and such. I use it as a tool, just as I do a map, common sense is needed to keep it from sending you the wrong way. I like the miles to destination and altitude features.

I probably didn't answer your question.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #3

I have owned several GPS systems since they became a consumer item.

Over the years, I have become less enchanted with the "brand specific" units. What I mean is, if you buy a Garmin, you are stuck with thier maps and operating system, same with Magellin etc. etc.

What I recently did was buy a GPS reciever that plugs into my iPhone, or iPad. What this does is enable the iPad as the CPU / GUI (graffic user interface), but allows me to pick and choose with mapping software to use. The app. store has numerous map apps. most of them are free or cost less than a few dollars. If you do not like one, remove it, and get another one.

The antenna I bought was a Bad Elf. Bad Elf - Products

I use a RAM products windshield mount for the iPad. http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx

The iPad is the perferred GPS unit, for a segnificant portion of the private aviation community, so if the pilots like it, can it be all bad?
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #4

IMHO, if you have a smart phone or tablet (Android or IOS) Co-Pilot app is the way to go. Much cheaper then a separate GPS unit.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

I have heard the 5" screens are too small to be seen, and the 7" are too large to allow seeing out the windshield of anything but a Class A or a tractor trailer rig. What is the consensus here?

Old 05-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #6

I have no problem seeing my 5" screen.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #7

We have a rm7715. The swivel suction mount that it comes with allows you to alnost have the screen below the window line. 7" screen to help the buzzard eyes see it.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I have heard the 5" screens are too small to be seen, and the 7" are too large to allow seeing out the windshield of anything but a Class A or a tractor trailer rig. What is the consensus here?
Most of the new GPS units are all 5 inch screens. Why not just use Google Maps. It is free except for the data that you will be pulling.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 PM   #9

I have been using the Rand McNally RVND-7720 for about a year and around 8,000 miles; so far I am very pleased with it. Easy to use, has all the standard features including low bridges, narrow roads, fuel stops, rest areas, Walmart, campgrounds and other POI. It also allows you to set up multi-stop trips, weight, length, and width of your rig and it routes you around problem areas.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
I have owned several GPS systems since they became a consumer item.

Over the years, I have become less enchanted with the "brand specific" units. What I mean is, if you buy a Garmin, you are stuck with thier maps and operating system, same with Magellin etc. etc.

What I recently did was buy a GPS reciever that plugs into my iPhone, or iPad. What this does is enable the iPad as the CPU / GUI (graffic user interface), but allows me to pick and choose with mapping software to use. The app. store has numerous map apps. most of them are free or cost less than a few dollars. If you do not like one, remove it, and get another one.

The antenna I bought was a Bad Elf. Bad Elf - Products

I use a RAM products windshield mount for the iPad. RAM EZ-ROLL’R™ Model Specific Cradle for the Apple iPad 1 WITHOUT CASE

The iPad is the perferred GPS unit, for a segnificant portion of the private aviation community, so if the pilots like it, can it be all bad?
Somewhat confused here. iPhones and iPads have GPS receivers built into them already. Pretty well every smartphone or tablet made today has this capability.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #11
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Somewhat confused here. iPhones and iPads have GPS receivers built into them already. Pretty well every smartphone or tablet made today has this capability.
I was under the impression smart phone devices have a GPS like function: They triangulate from local cell towers and can get you pretty close, but do not actually use GPS satellite signals. Almost as good.

My kindle has no GPS function.

But I am a caveman and have an old fashioned cell phone. It rings and I can talk on it, that's about it. Therefore I need a direct from satellite no phone required solution.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I was under the impression smart phone devices have a GPS like function: They triangulate from local cell towers and can get you pretty close, but do not actually use GPS satellite signals. Almost as good.

My kindle has no GPS function.

But I am a caveman and have an old fashioned cell phone. It rings and I can talk on it, that's about it. Therefore I need a direct from satellite no phone required solution.
Nope. They have real GPS receivers built in to them. iPhones and iPads were mentioned by that poster so that's why I posted what I did. They all have GPS receivers in them.

I could see the Kindle not having one since it's basically a glorified ebook reader.

Edit: I did some searching and apparently it's not all that uncommon for the iPad to have no GPS receiver. Good job Apple. More expensive yet less features and the sheeple gobble them up like mad anyway. Interesting...

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote