Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Safety chain(s) on car on dolly

Picked up a used twice, maybe 3k miles 2015 ACME tow dolly with disc surge brakes to haul around our 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback behind our 2016 Prism 24G. Good price I thought at $1k.

Have new basket straps on order as the ones it came with are too big and slightly frayed. (darn - can't use them as spares!) Sanded it down yesterday and painted it with some Rustoleum Hammered spray paint.

My question is do most people use two safety chains between the dolly and the toad or just one? I watched several videos and it looks like just one. Of course I use both safety chains (crossed) between the dolly and the Prism along with the break away cable.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #2

Acme supplies two chains with their dollys. The design of the dolly is based on the use of two chains. Im sure you could modify it so that one could be used centered if you want. I use both between the car and dolly. It ony takes a miniute to hook up each one.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Acme supplies two chains with their dollys. The design of the dolly is based on the use of two chains. Im sure you could modify it so that one could be used centered if you want. I use both between the car and dolly. It ony takes a miniute to hook up each one.
Thanks, Steve - that's kind of what I thought. Although one would hope those chains are never used

Mike and JoAnne
Old 08-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #4

Couldnt agree more about using the chains.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #5

You can never have enough chains. I used to drive and camp in a museum piece, one of 164 made motor homes. It was highly polished aluminum shining like a mirror. We towed a Saturn. One day we set out across the mountains in Vermont and as usual people were honking and waving. My son was driving and he waved back. One car pulled up and began yelling and pointing, I thought boy these Vermonters really appreciate this camper. My son thought that just maybe something was wrong and wisely pulled over. We had forgot the pins to hold the TOAD in place and we were pulling with just the safety chains. No damage, we replaced the pins and finished our trip to Maine and back.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #6

Law states 2 safety chains . We had a local father and 2 sons killed when a trailer broke loose going in the other direction and came thru their windshield. Chain up.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #7

2 different sets of chains

The dolly attached to the hitch on the tow vehicle needed the two chains. In Texas it's the law to cross them side to side. I did loose a receiver pin once in Oklahoma at 70mph towing a car hauler . . . chains worked beautifully.

I to use a dolly behind my motorhome. Should have safety chain around each side of the front axle along with the straps. One trip, again traveling around 70mph in West Virginia, had a trucker flag me down and my left strap had come totally off. The chain stayed in place. Happy travels.
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:42 PM   #8

Safety chains

Just bought a new tow dolly. Have not used it yet. What is the proper way to connect these chains. Towed many miles with a horse trailer and always cross the chains from tow vehicle to trailer. I apologize if this is hijacking this thread
5hfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #9

Used an Acme dolly through the Canadian Maritimes, Quebec, Ontario and quite of few states. Works well but I always used both safety chains from car to dolly. Also bought a pair of D-rings at the local hardware store to make sure the chains didn't jump out of the slots on the dolly. Finally bit the bullet and got a Jeep Cherokee and tow set as I had the pleasure of "hot skin" tickling me as I laid in a puddle of water dealing with the chains. One of the tire straps wore through in Quebec. Had fun getting it fixed at a truck repair shop. My "ses quese rivit?" clued the shop foreman in how to reattach a cross strap. Now happily high and dry.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
Law states 2 safety chains . We had a local father and 2 sons killed when a trailer broke loose going in the other direction and came thru their windshield. Chain up.
2 safety chains where? Between dolly and TV or between dolly and car? Or Both? And what law in what state(s)

Mike and JoAnne
Old 08-29-2017, 09:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Picked up a used twice, maybe 3k miles 2015 ACME tow dolly with disc surge brakes to haul around our 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback behind our 2016 Prism 24G. Good price I thought at $1k.

Have new basket straps on order as the ones it came with are too big and slightly frayed. (darn - can't use them as spares!) Sanded it down yesterday and painted it with some Rustoleum Hammered spray paint.

My question is do most people use two safety chains between the dolly and the toad or just one? I watched several videos and it looks like just one. Of course I use both safety chains (crossed) between the dolly and the Prism along with the break away cable.
Two chains - always two chains! We've had the tire straps on either side of our dolly come loose while traveling - without the chains on both sides, the car would've come off on one side!
Old 08-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #12

Laws may mostly require chains between tow vehicle and dolly. Would strongly suggest using them between the dolly and car perched on it. Acme has a great video on using their dolly.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_james View Post
Two chains - always two chains! We've had the tire straps on either side of our dolly come loose while traveling - without the chains on both sides, the car would've come off on one side!
Thanks for the reply. Two is going to be a challenge and the car is not symetrical side to side for places to hook up. I suppose crossing the chains underneath would be a good thing also but I doubt anyone does.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 08-29-2017, 10:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Laws may mostly require chains between tow vehicle and dolly. Would strongly suggest using them between the dolly and car perched on it. Acme has a great video on using their dolly.
I've watched the ACME video a few times and I only see one chain connected underneath. Maybe I missed something. Or maybe their camera angle didn't include both.

I have no issue with using two once I get it figured out where to hook them to.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 08-31-2017, 10:54 PM   #15

2 sets of chains

When I drive the vehicle up on the dolly, I tighten down the straps first and then double wrap a chain around each of the axles. The chain should be attached to the dolly and then I just hook around the chain going to the axle. It doesn't have to be tight . . . just a back up. I drive 10 or so miles and re tighten my straps . . . they always loosen with the car moving. But I normally only have to do that once. I do recheck them though when I stop for gas, or food, bathroom breaks or walking the dog.

The safety chains required by most, if not all states, go between the tow vehicle and the dolly. I also install a pad lock to act as a pin on my hitch lever so it doesn't open accidentally on a big bump. In Texas I was told it's the law to cross the chains . . . I always did anyway. That way it kind of traps the trailer to stay centered if it comes off the ball.

My hitch came out of the receiver and I dragged the trailer a fee miles before seeing the sway . . . chains did their job. Have had straps come totally off the tire too and that chain around the axle did it's job. I do keep an piece of outdoor carpet in a storage compartment to make life easier laying on the ground when I wrap the chains around the axles. I've hooked up on hot pavement, mud puddles, ant mounds, and grass with those sand spurs that cut into you . . . carpet is a life saver. Happy Travels
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbuckeye View Post
I've hooked up on hot pavement, mud puddles, ant mounds, and grass with those sand spurs that cut into you . . . carpet is a life saver. Happy Travels
Great reply - thanks! I had a TT Iwas unhooking many years ago decide to roll down hill. The crossed chains kept that from happening. I always carry a cheap blanket I bought in Mexico 30 years ago to lay on should I need to knell/lay down.

Mike and JoAnne

Tags
safety