Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #1

Salem 179DBK Hitch Weight

Although I'm looking for advice on the Salem 179DBK, I'd welcome any advice on this.

My wife and I reserved with a downpayment (none in stock) a 179DBK, but are having second thoughts because our tow vehicle is 600/6000. Starting with the 502lbs hitch weight (from the website, so not including any extras, adjustments, water/lp tanks, etc) and adding any sort of cargo, I'm really worried it'll go over our 600lbs limit. I'm not even sure I want to get that close to the limit, as this is our first TT and I have to admit I'm a little nervous about it. Also, our vehicle (european) does not allow the usage of WDH.

Now, I joined this website just so that I can ask these questions, because I really have attempted to find the answer elsewhere and can't find anyone that has discussed this. What little I did find confused me even more, because I read:
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper9545 View Post
We chose this model because of towing weight (2019 toyota 4runner 500/5000), size we owned a 19' hybrid and a 33' springdale. I would have liked a 25' for more storage but my tow vehicle is my limiting factor.
I did try to reply, but the website won't allow me to because the threat is over a year old?
I'm curious how this has worked him, and the others on the thread with similar TV restrictions (several betwen 500-600lbs), given that the website states that the 179DBK has a hitch weight of 502lbs.

What are the recommendations for lowering the tongue weight of this specific model?
How low (percentage-wise) should get the TW down to? From the factory, it looks like it is already at 14.5%, which is very high (I've read min 10% - max 15% recommended).
Is it even advisable to lower it?
I don't want to load up all the cargo in the back, and find out that I need the 14.5% to avoid sway.

For those that have the 179DBK, what hitch weight have you had when using the TT? That is, after loading it up with the "standard" cargo.

Please be gentle in your responses. I'm definitely new to Travel Trailers and am looking for advice.
Thanks in advance for the help.
El__Quijote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by El__Quijote View Post
Although I'm looking for advice on the Salem 179DBK, I'd welcome any advice on this.

My wife and I reserved with a downpayment (none in stock) a 179DBK, but are having second thoughts because our tow vehicle is 600/6000. Starting with the 502lbs hitch weight (from the website, so not including any extras, adjustments, water/lp tanks, etc) and adding any sort of cargo, I'm really worried it'll go over our 600lbs limit. I'm not even sure I want to get that close to the limit, as this is our first TT and I have to admit I'm a little nervous about it. Also, our vehicle (european) does not allow the usage of WDH.

Now, I joined this website just so that I can ask these questions, because I really have attempted to find the answer elsewhere and can't find anyone that has discussed this. What little I did find confused me even more, because I read:

I did try to reply, but the website won't allow me to because the threat is over a year old?
I'm curious how this has worked him, and the others on the thread with similar TV restrictions (several betwen 500-600lbs), given that the website states that the 179DBK has a hitch weight of 502lbs.

What are the recommendations for lowering the tongue weight of this specific model?
How low (percentage-wise) should get the TW down to? From the factory, it looks like it is already at 14.5%, which is very high (I've read min 10% - max 15% recommended).
I don't want to load up all the cargo in the back, and find out that I need the 14.5% to avoid sway.

For those that have the 179DBK, what hitch weight have you had when using the TT? That is, after loading it up with the "standard" cargo.

Please be gentle in your responses. I'm definitely new to Travel Trailers and am looking for advice.
Thanks in advance for the help.
It would help if you posted information on your tow vehicle.
I can almost guarantee that the loaded tongue weight will be over 600lbs, especially for a single axle trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #3

What is the cargo or payload capacity on your tow vehicle? (yellow sticker on the drivers doorjamb)
Old 08-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #4

Sorry, I thought I had posted it. 600/6000

It is a BMW X5 35d. The tow capacity is limited by the OEM hitch, not by the vehicle. Although the vehicle itself should be able to do 7700lbs tow and 700lbs TW (those are the European specs), the OEM hitch is limited to 600 hitch/6000 tow per US standards (label on the hitch itself).
The cargo capacity, per the door sticker is 1109.
The vehicle also specifically states that BMW does not allow the use of WDH due to the construction of the vehicle.

I've searched through all kinds of BMW forums and there are people towing all kinds of heavy rigs. Many are using aftermarket WDH that are definitely not approved by BMW and, in case of an accident, would definitely be looked at as a liability. Regardless, I'm stating this to say that the vehicle will definitely handle up to the 600/6000 limits without problems.

Like I said, there are people on this forum that state that they're towing this same model of trailer with more restrictive towing capacities. I'm just wondering how they were able to do it to see if I can make it work. I will not exceed my hitch labeled limitations though regardless of other people's experiences (not willing to risk it).
Old 08-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #5

Not really understanding the whole WDH restriction on the BMW. Outside the Head and the ball, all other components mount onto the TT.

Look at some BMW forums and there are folks out there that put WDH on with their TT and it bent the factory BMW hitch due to how it's welded and mounted to the vehicle.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I can almost guarantee that the loaded tongue weight will be over 600lbs, especially for a single axle trailer.
That's what I'm worried about. However, the dry weight on this trailer puts the tongue at 14.5%, so it makes me wonder where the water tank is located, and if the water helps lower the tongue weight rather than increase it since it has a rear bath.
I just don't see a trailer manufacturer designing a trailer that is meant to have over 15% tongue weight on what is supposed to be a light TT. But then again, I may be naive thinking that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Not really understanding the whole WDH restriction on the BMW. Outside the Head and the ball, all other components mount onto the TT.
The hitch on a BMW is a weird design and is all one unit. The hitch comes with the ball installed (there's no 2" receiver) because of a very strict specification of ball height and distance from the chassis. This is how they're able to get such a high weight limit on a smaller SUV. There is nowhere to connect the weight distribution hitch to.
BMW does make a 2" receiver that you can swap the ball with. However, the 2" receiver is rated at a Class II, and the weight limits drop to 350/3500. This is because with a 2" receiver, they guarantee ball height or distance from the chassis.

Quote:
Look at some BMW forums and there are folks out there that put WDH on with their TT and it bent the factory BMW hitch due to how it's welded and mounted to the vehicle.
I have spent a lot of time on the BMW forums looking at all of this information, and that's why I'm not willing to go beyond the BMW approved limitations.
No aftermarket hitch for me, and no WDH for me either.
Now I'm stuck trying to figure out if I'll be able to tow the 179DBK given it's high TW, or if we should start our TT search all over again. We just really like the dinette on the door/awning side, and it's the only TT we've found like that that'll meet our weight/size restrictions.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #7

I would get a different vehicle to tow with if you really want a travel trailer.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I would get a different vehicle to tow with if you really want a travel trailer.
And we will most likely do that in the future. For now, however, this is what we have. Considering how many people out there have travel trailers and are towing it with this exact same tow vehicle, and are well within safety parameters, I think we'll stick with it for now.
While I appreciate your input, the question I posted is not whether I need a new tow vehicle, or whether my tow vehicle matches anything. I was asking about a specific trailer and was asking recommendations regarding the tongue/hitch weight of that trailer.

My questions, for reference, were:

Old 08-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #9

Seems like most of the RV dealers I've dealt with will tell you you can pull anything on their lot with your tow vehicle. Some RV owners could care less about the towing specs as long as the vehicle keeps the front wheels on the ground and doesn't stall out going up a 2% grade. As the saying goes, just because you can doesn't mean you should. I'd look for a different trailer that meets your BMW's limits or get a new TV. Just my 2¢
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:25 PM   #10

Interestingly enough, I have not spoken to the dealer about anything except for the fact that I wanted to pay a deposit on this TT. When I did that, he asked me questions about which vehicle I intended to use to tow; I have him the information that I've posted, and that was it. The dealer hasn't attempted to sell me anything because I have not given them the opportunity. I called telling them what I wanted, what I was willing to pay, and that's it.
Now, this trailer meets my BMW's limits. I'm just asking for additional information from those who may have the same trailer and/or those who are willing to give me tips as to how to reduce the TW.
Unfortunately, I asked many different questions regarding the TT, and the only answers I've received so far are that I need a new/different TV. Can anyone explain to me why what I asked is not worth answering? Are the questions that I asked so terrible that it's better to avoid answering them and just tell me to get a new TV? Why do I need a new tow vehicle if this trailer is within specs for my current one? Why are there, apparently, people towing this TT with less capable TV but mine, for some reason, is not good enough? I just need to know how they got it to work for them, that's all.
Please understand that I'm new to towing... telling me to get a new TV doesn't let me learn the reasoning behind it, nor does it help me understand what you're thinking. To you it may be obvious why but, to me, it is not. All I'm asking for is some help.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #11
Site Team

El Q, you should be asking your model-specific questions, like actual hitch weight, in the Salem sub-forum, not this sub-forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 08-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #12

That makes sense, I will do that. Thank you.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #13

Quote:
The cargo capacity, per the door sticker is 1109.
Ok, so your hitch weight is 600, that leaves 500lbs for passengers and cargo in your BMW.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I have the TT you are looking at. I would say that you defiantly need a WDH especially with a smaller tow vehicle and the weights you are quoting for the TT are correct. Also the current vehicle you are panning to use as a tow vehicle would not be acceptable for this TT.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #15

firemedicmark, thank you for your input.
The weights I'm quoting for the TT are just the brochure weights. What are you seeing in use? How much higher do they go?
Is the tongue weight the only problem you see with my planned set-up?

I posted this same question in the Salem forum. Hopefully someone there will be able to provide a recommended alternate TT. A new TV is just not in the cards right now, and we'd be stuck without being able to get a TT indefinitely.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #16
D W

Quote:

Wow! Given the facts on this thread I'm not sure that this BMW is capable of safely towing anything bigger than an R-POD 171. Towing a loaded 179DBK with this BMW without a WDH is asking for trouble. The 600/6000 lb figure appears to be fictitious.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #17

Actually, you'd be surprised as to how many airstream owners are towing with BMW X5's. The 600/6000lbs limit is actually below what it can tow; the limit is due to the construction of the OEM hitch.

But you are correct that the inability to use a WDH (which many others are doing without issues) and the tongue weight are where my reservations lie. Not sure what else I can do; hence, why I'm asking for advice.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:46 PM   #18

Quote:
firemedicmark, thank you for your input.
The weights I'm quoting for the TT are just the brochure weights. What are you seeing in use? How much higher do they go?
Is the tongue weight the only problem you see with my planned set-up?

I posted this same question in the Salem forum. Hopefully someone there will be able to provide a recommended alternate TT. A new TV is just not in the cards right now, and we'd be stuck without being able to get a TT indefinitely.
It depends on the loading and setup of the unit. The "Actual" tongue weight on mine comes to 688. One issue with single axle units is that anything forward of the axle adds to TW and anything rear of the axle adds to sway. I think without a good WDH the sway would be unmanageable with your TV. Sorry, I don't have better news, it is a great floor plan and we love our 179DBK.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Actually, you'd be surprised as to how many airstream owners are towing with BMW X5's. The 600/6000lbs limit is actually below what it can tow; the limit is due to the construction of the OEM hitch.

But you are correct that the inability to use a WDH (which many others are doing without issues) and the tongue weight are where my reservations lie. Not sure what else I can do; hence, why I'm asking for advice.
Using an Airstream as an example, isn't valid with regular TTs. Airstream are unique because they have much lighter tongue weights and less air resistance, compared to regular travel trailers the same size.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedicmark View Post
The "Actual" tongue weight on mine comes to 688.
This is definitely not what I wanted to read/hear. But it is better to find out sooner, rather than later. Thanks for providing real numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedicmark View Post
it is a great floor plan and we love our 179DBK.
Now you're just rubbing it it, huh?
The reason why we picked it was the floor plan; we haven't seen it anywhere else (the dinette on the door/awning side). We'd prefer to get a dual axle with a bed instead of murphy, but can't find anything like that.
Would removing the murphy bed and converting to permanent bed reduce enough weight? (I think I'm reaching with this one)

Tags
hitch, salem, weight