Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #41

Where did that c one from. Wasn't talked about at all!
Old 08-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #42

I had a 93 F250 that the brake pedal would go to the floor when the brakes heated up on a down grade. Scared me the first time. It was a known issue for 93-97. I see they haven't learned.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #43

This sounds like bad master cylinders on 3.5 models but not all of them and no talk about mileage or down hill.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Gosh does not say much for Ford dependability if ya got to buy extended warranty. Later RJD
LOL

Ram Ranks Last in Consumer Reports' Reliability Survey - PickupTrucks.com News
Old 08-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
This sounds like bad master cylinders on 3.5 models but not all of them and no talk about mileage or down hill.
They use the same master cylinders as 5.0 models.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:50 PM   #46
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Gosh does not say much for Ford dependability if ya got to buy extended warranty. Later RJD

In 2015 and 2016 Ford sold 1,792,000 F-150s. The reported brake failures include 200 trucks. I don't mean to dismiss the problem for those 200 families, but....... math.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 08-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #47
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post

In 2015 and 2016 Ford sold 1,792,000 F-150s. The reported brake failures include 200 trucks. I don't mean to dismiss the problem for those 200 families, but....... math.
But if they do a recall your figures go out the window. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 09-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #48

I’am 69 years old and have owned ford for as long as i have been driving. I have never had a problem with any of them. I also will not let any dodge product on my property.
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
Old 09-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Go to forums for GMC, Silverado, F-150, Tundra, Tacoma, Ram, Nissan and you can keep youself entertained forever with complaints about problems with engines, transmissions, doors that don't shut, moon roof leaks, front ends falling out (Tundra), 4wd issues, power window problems, you name it.

We research the cars/trucks we are interested in buying and look for systemic problems and try to avoid those issues when buying a vehicle.

In the end, you do your research, narrow down your choices and buy what you want.
Nope, I'm on a Tundra forum every day. There's the odd complainer about rusting frame for old gen every few months and the rare cam tower thread but everyone is having a great time talking about mods. Heck, there was a thread about how much change in one of our door sills that was pages long, went to the right guess and he donated it to a good cause.

No tech to break. Lower payload, no 3/4 or 1T, that's the problem with Tundras.

This is every day for latest gen on Ford lol:

Old 09-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #50

Of course there are 6 to 7 Ford F-150s sold for every one Tundra but why introduce facts. Don't get me wrong, I like Toyotas...Tundras just aren't a very good truck to pull trailers unless you have a small trailer.

Curious when you did your screen shot. Just went on that same site today and the whole first page had one thread on anything that could possibly be wrong and none of the threads you show.

I have been on some Tundra forums. The threads that I get a kick out of the most are the ones where the Tundra owners say they are getting tired of hearing how low tech the Tundras are. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota eventually drops the Tundra from their lineup.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
Check the specifications of the brake fluid you're using. It's boiling point is part of the specs. Don't forget that brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air (it's not a sealed system - usually a vent in the filler cap) which lowers the boiling point over time. It's also why you should flush and replace the brake fluid as specified in the manual.

Phil
Last time I saw a vent in a filler cap that exposed the brake fluid to air and moisture was decades ago. Inside caps there is usually a "rubber" accordion type barrier between fluid and air. Fluid goes down as pads wear and "accordion" follows.

Who knows, maybe things have changed since I retired.

FWIW, brake fluid changes are just as important as oil changes, just longer intervals between.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:57 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Of course there are 6 to 7 Ford F-150s sold for every one Tundra but why introduce facts. Don't get me wrong, I like Toyotas...Tundras just aren't a very good truck to pull trailers unless you have a small trailer.

Curious when you did your screen shot. Just went on that same site today and the whole first page had one thread on anything that could possibly be wrong and none of the threads you show.

I have been on some Tundra forums. The threads that I get a kick out of the most are the ones where the Tundra owners say they are getting tired of hearing how low tech the Tundras are. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota eventually drops the Tundra from their lineup.

It was a few months ago and I didn't want to waste time screening a new one. There's really no discussion here about reliability, Tundras are #1, partly because they have less tech to fail. I bought it outright to keep, us owners don't care for nannies especially if that means longterm use and higher resale as priorities. If I had one of the tech'd out Big 3, I might say I don't care, I lease, I have warranty and I rather have tech. We're going to naturally defend our buying choices and gravitate to the attributes, but I'd still say Tundras have the least issues. I'd say Tundras are fine towing with TRD sway bars, dual sway WDH, and Timbrens or Air Bags up to 7500lb wet, and no 5th'ers. Any heavier on a regular basis and I'm moving to a diesel 3/4 or 1T anyway, I just wouldn't use a 1/2T period.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:31 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaA View Post
It was a few months ago and I didn't want to waste time screening a new one. There's really no discussion here about reliability, Tundras are #1, partly because they have less tech to fail. I bought it outright to keep, us owners don't care for nannies especially if that means longterm use and higher resale as priorities. If I had one of the tech'd out Big 3, I might say I don't care, I lease, I have warranty and I rather have tech. We're going to naturally defend our buying choices and gravitate to the attributes, but I'd still say Tundras have the least issues. I'd say Tundras are fine towing with TRD sway bars, dual sway WDH, and Timbrens or Air Bags up to 7500lb wet, and no 5th'ers. Any heavier on a regular basis and I'm moving to a diesel 3/4 or 1T anyway, I just wouldn't use a 1/2T period.
What is your payload number on your truck. The ones I was looking at was 1200#. No way that works for most people towing a 7500# trailer. 12% tongue weight puts you at 900# payload right out of the gate with no passengers. And you don't increase your payload capacity by putting on aftermarket stuff.

The 5.7L engine in the Tundras get around 14-15MPG when not towing. If you are going to buy a truck that is basically a grocery getter, why not buy one that gets decent fuel mileage?

The reason for good reliability for Tundras is because they have less tech to fail? Jeez, why is it that so many Tundra owners say this.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:18 PM   #54

I have ~600lbs to work with. I'm happy with mine, you're happy with yours, what's the problem?
Old 09-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaA View Post
I have ~600lbs to work with. I'm happy with mine, you're happy with yours, what's the problem?
LOL...so what's your payload. Have a picture of the sticker?

BTW...YOU were the one coming on here with the screen grab of the Ford Forum! You were the one with the problem!

TTIC
Old 09-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #56

Wow, first of all, I didn't quote you to begin with. 2nd, I didn't make that screengrab, it's your own F150 owners LOL. I just looked and there's 6 problems on the first page of that forum today, yet there's not a proportional amount of positive threads. We have ZERO.

My whole point is we don't see the shop all year for breakdowns and you don't seem to get that, you want to grasp at anything else. 3rd, I already admitted when I first replied here we have less payload and mine's 1430lb. My numbers also come from a moderator of our boards who owns a 3500HD and talks civilly about towing (he's replying to someone else):

Quote:
So lets say you load up to the max of 7500 lbs. Usually, the tongue weight is 9-15% of total weight of the load being towed. 9% is 675 lbs and 15% is 1125 lbs. Your truck is rated for 980 lbs tongue weight. Your payload is 1430-1555 lbs depending on options.

So lets get creative now with how you load the toy hauler and you don't get bad trailer sway at 11% total weight. That is 825 lbs.

I'm going to say you have 1430 lbs of payload. 1430-825=605 lbs of extra capacity. Now minus anything in the bed of the truck, the passengers, dogs, etc. Does this add up to less or more than 605 lbs?

This will determine if you are over or not.
Which I didn't even need to answer and is completely irrelevant to what I quoted at the beginning about reliability. What, you gonna ask people what their family weighs and a snapshot of their gear LOL. Let's go back to that user I quoted here "In the end, you do your research, narrow down your choices and buy what you want". Reliability is what I wanted.Toyotas are more reliable than Fords, PERIOD. I've had both brands and it's a well known fact. I don't give a damn about tech, we also have a Lexus full of tech and it's also "reliable".

We've camped 2 years now with my truck no problems, I get compliments on it all the time which is not why I bought it. In July we were beside a large family with a F150, RAM1500 (and Colorado I think) sounds like a start of a joke, and they all said they would trade with with me when all I said was they have nice trucks. Are you worried that I'll suddenly sway people away from Fords? I really don't care what people buy. You already said F150's outsell Tundras 6-7x. Do you think you'll sway me? Well that's a poor way of trying. Do you need to feel superior in some way? Poke at my math, tell me what's in your truck, not in mine? Jeez, we're not in a sandbox buddy. Life's short, like I said, be happy with what you got, I'm happy with mine. I'm having a great day with my family today, hope you are too.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #57

Lol. 1430 lbs. Like I said, grocery getter.

I couldn't even tow my trailer that is only 25' with your truck.

My friend has a Tundra and he thinks he can add air bags to increase his payload. Of course his flattened leaf springs says a different story. Glad you like your Tundra with it's low tech and low payload.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #58

And another thread goes down in flames!
2018 JGC Limited 4x4 w/tow
Old 09-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #59

You can't increase payload on an existing truck, that's uneducated. You can only shift weight off the tongue with a WDH, also decrease rear drop with AirBags/Timbrens/Sumos, or strengthen your springs if you get Cali lean because you're a regular hauler. I hope you told him that. Don't know what he tows but if he's over spec, no point getting another 1/2, go 3/4 or 1T, it won't be a Tundra anymore.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #60

Amazing how fast these things go down in flames. Started with someone slamming Ford for something and ends slamming another brand! Sad!