Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #21

Quote:
The trailer may be too heavy for the truck.

What's the maximum towing capacity of the truck? The maximum allowable tongue weight with a WDH is usually 10% of that.

There are normally two maximum allowable tongue weights: weight carrying and weight distributing. On my entirely unrelated truck rated at 9200 pounds maximum towing capacity they're 600 and 920 pounds respectively.
OK, 8800 pounds max towing capacity.

But what's the maximum tongue weight with a WDH? Should be in your owner's manual. If it's 880 pounds as I suspect this trailer's 1100 pound tongue weight is too heavy for the truck even with a WDH, you're gonna overload something.

And... 8800 pounds is the towing capacity of the empty truck with only a 150 pound driver in it. Figuring on 180 for you and 120 (max) for your swimsuit model wife you're left with very little room and all that camping stuff.

All the math makes me dizzy at times which is why I invented the One Ton Rule. By this rule you need a tow vehicle with an 11,000 pound towing capacity. 8800 + 2000 = 10800 rounded up to 11,000. Which can be had in a properly -- and specifically -- equipped F150 and probably another Dodge.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #22

Thanks for the advice. I have already ordered a better hitch and I am presently no looking for a Ford F250 diesel. So if anybody is looking to sell one in the Orlando area, I am ready to buy.
jjcooler65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #23
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
[...] I invented the One Ton Rule. By this rule you need a tow vehicle with an 11,000 pound towing capacity. [...]
I'd encourage you to revisit your reasoning and come up with a new rule. Any rule for 1/2 tons that focuses on tow capacity rather than payload has missed the mark. 1/2 ton towing capability is all about payload. The conversation really needs to start and end with payload. Payload. It's incredibly easy to remain within towing rating and be way over payload ... but the converse is nearly impossible when towing RVs.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcooler65 View Post
I am fairly new to RV’ing and have not had much experience towing my trailer. I am wondering if I have set up my hitch properly or maybe I need a higher rated one. My TV is Dodge Ram 1500 and my WD bars are rated at 800-1200 lbs. I took my rig to the scales today and this is how the numbers came out.
Are you asking this advice because you have a handling problem or are you simply trying to make the numbers fit?
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #25

I have not had any driving problems, although I do not drive over 55 with the TT, still a bit nervous towing. I am only trying to see if my present WD hitch is actually doing what it’s supposed. In my opinion, adding 1000 lbs to the rear axle and taking away 40 from the front is failing.
jjcooler65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #26

Because in this example OPs opinion of taking 40 pounds away from the steer axle and failing doesn’t meet with physics. OP has no handling problem now but he is working towards a less stable setup so stay tuned. As to laymen’s rule of thumb ideas.. Why not trust in J2807 and use the SAE (society of automotive engineers) numbers seen in Ram specs that’s what they are provided for. (Axle ratings, CVWR, max receiver, & GVWR) Plus proper tongue weight range.

All of these are easily verifiable on a CAT or triple scale and adjustable by WDH and loading adjustments. BTW as detailed from his scaled weight numbers actual seen & legal tongue weight per that weigh was 960 pounds because he was using a WDH.(dynamic) The static tongue weight of 1,100 would be the proper number if he was not using a WDH.

You can sometimes bring the same load from skittish unstable and unsafe by being overweight or underweight of your trucks specs to stable safe and within Mfgr/Ram specs by only adjusting WDH & loading IE removing no weight. Why not try it instead of inventing rule of thumbs and doing things like stacking weight estimates towards a payload sticker (which OP is not exceeding) number that has minor stability & safety implications compared to axle & tongue weight/ percentage.

I’ve done it. It’s a beautiful thing when you take the same load from out of spec & white knuckle to in spec & stable.

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TV’s max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #27

Not sure why you think a missing 40 lbs. is a WDH fail. It is actually the opposite and it is doing a superb job. You will never get it perfectly back to zero and you do not want to end up with more weight on the front end than you stated with. CAT scales also have a margin of error of plus/minus 20 lbs. Restoring all but 40 lbs is fantastic, not a fail.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcooler65 View Post
I have not had any driving problems, although I do not drive over 55 with the TT, still a bit nervous towing. I am only trying to see if my present WD hitch is actually doing what it’s supposed. In my opinion, adding 1000 lbs to the rear axle and taking away 40 from the front is failing.
I would be happy with 40# coming off the front. You see much more on setups that aren't set up right. Like some others on this thread, I think it's good.
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight, weight distribution hitch