Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What method are you towing your 5W camper with your Short-Bed TV?
Slider Hitch 34 57.63%
Pivoting type hitch (Reese Revolution/Sidewinder) 21 35.59%
Other (Such as a tow hog?) 4 6.78%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #81
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Note to self - check the bolts on the custom wedge to make sure they aren't loosening when traveling.
An easy way to keep the universal wedge is to cut a pc of steel to put in front of the bolt in the slots that fills the slots. Hold the pc in place with some silicone. Won't keep the bolts tight, but will keep the wedge in place. The curved surfaces of the universal wedge contribute greatly to the tendency of the wedge to move rearward.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #82

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The universal wedge has a very bad tendency to move backwards due to the slots and bolts that will not remain tight because of the lock washers on slots which is a no-no even with flat washers under them.
I agree on improper application of washers. Star washer with a Cup Washer possibly or lock tight/or Nord Lock Bolts/ Blue Nylon Pellet bolts would be more suitable.
Not a huge fan of lock tight for something like this though.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #83

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
One more vote for a fixed hitch (B&W Companion) with a 6.5' bed. My Rockwood 8289WS has the Revolution, but I do not have it unlocked due to it's incompatibility with the B&W Companion and no desire or need to turn any sharper than I already can.

I can't help but think that if there were not all of these companies marketing products to achieve this magical number (90 degree turn), that nobody would care. I read somewhere recently (probably here in this forum) a post pointing out how you never hear the TT crowd complaining that they can't turn 90.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:42 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
I read somewhere recently (probably here in this forum) a post pointing out how you never hear the TT crowd complaining that they can't turn 90.

They never tried to turn around in my cul de sac with a 30' TT while trying to clear the cars my neighbors thought it would be great to park nose-first to the curb instead of sideways like normal people.

I was giggling when I returned from my practice tow on the 5er and found I can turn so much tighter now.
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #85

Tighter turns a + at times but those trailer wheels will flex more especially on a hard surface. Keep a close eye on those wheel lug torques.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Tighter turns a + at times but those trailer wheels will flex more especially on a hard surface. Keep a close eye on those wheel lug torques.

Yes sir!
Old 05-09-2014, 01:03 AM   #87

I have a Ford Super Duty with a short box and a manual slider hitch. We pull a Columbus 320RS and have yet to run into a situation where I've have to slide the hitch. The reason for having a slider is due our previous 5er, but even then I recall only having to slide the hitch several times. That 5er was a Montana Mountaineer model 298RL. If I were to replace the hitch today I believe that I would be looking at a fixed position one.
Enjoying the Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #88

When I do pull my columbus with my short bed ram I've never needed to slide the hitch back when I pull my old alfa I need to slide it back
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #89

Getting 2014 RAM 3500 with 5th wheel prep. Any one have a Pullrite Superglide with this configuration. What hitch and rail kit do you have. It has under bed rails already.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
One more vote for a fixed hitch (B&W Companion) with a 6.5' bed. My Rockwood 8289WS has the Revolution, but I do not have it unlocked due to it's incompatibility with the B&W Companion and no desire or need to turn any sharper than I already can.

I can't help but think that if there were not all of these companies marketing products to achieve this magical number (90 degree turn), that nobody would care. I read somewhere recently (probably here in this forum) a post pointing out how you never hear the TT crowd complaining that they can't turn 90.
One thing that has not been mentioned about the Reese that I really like is the fact that you do not have to be spot-on when hitching up.

Missed lining up by a 1" to the right? No problem, just swing the king pin over a inch and bada-boom!

TT hook-up ain't got nothing on me now LOL

Note: This will only work if your Kingpin moves easily
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:18 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
One thing that has not been mentioned about the Reese that I really like is the fact that you do not have to be spot-on when hitching up.

Missed lining up by a 1" to the right? No problem, just swing the king pin over a inch and bada-boom!

TT hook-up ain't got nothing on me now LOL

Note: This will only work if your Kingpin moves easily

Well...that's what I thought, too. At the RV park space was tight, so I was clever, and angled my Revolution to the left and backed up. The king pin failed to go in, turned a bit, and the trailer slide back even with the chocks in place. Tried again, same thing. Maneuvered the truck in the small drive space I had, and backed straight in. Again, the hitch refused to mate.

Then I realized, rookie me forgot to open the hitch latch bar. The king pin had been bouncing off of it. I felt so stupid.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:20 AM   #92

I've decided to go with a Pullrite Super Glide. It should work well. Thanks to all!
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #93
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
I've decided to go with a Pullrite Super Glide. It should work well. Thanks to all!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1743520_832707270077712_1704983257_n.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	52604

Tags
bed, tow vehicle