Old 03-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #1

Shortening chains on WDH

I always use the exact same link on the chains that attach the flex bars to the tongue adapters - fifth link up from the u-bolt on the flex bar. That leaves about 6 links hanging. Is there any reason to not just cut the sixth link up so I don't have any unused extra chain hanging?

Thanks!
John
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I always use the exact same link on the chains that attach the flex bars to the tongue adapters - fifth link up from the u-bolt on the flex bar. That leaves about 6 links hanging. Is there any reason to not just cut the sixth link up so I don't have any unused extra chain hanging?

Thanks!
John
I can't see any good reason why not. If you ever needed an extra link or two for any reason in the future one or more "repair" links could be added.

I don't use chains anymore but that was one of my "when I get around to it" tasks, cutting off the extra links.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #3
Scoundrel

Leaving all the links makes your WDH more marketable to someone else if you ever decide to get a different trailer or even a WDH with integrated sway control.

No harm in leaving them as they are.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #4

Take both off and cut 1 in half for your needs,now you will also have a Full one for a spare! Youroo!!
Old 03-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #5

I'd say leave the extra links as they are. If you were to get a different TV then your WDH setup would be different and most likely need adjustment.
Not saying you do or would but if you were to loan out your trailer or heaven forbid you would need to have a fellow RV'r pull your trailer home for you in case of an emergency those links could very well be important.

Gary

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:31 PM   #6

If you have time to spare, and an itch to scratch, go for it. Otherwise, the extra links aren't hurting anything. If the counting is what bothers you, apply some paint to the 5th links.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
If you have time to spare, and an itch to scratch, go for it. Otherwise, the extra links aren't hurting anything. If the counting is what bothers you, apply some paint to the 5th links.
what he said ^^^

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #8

Flip a coin.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #9

after each bar is snapped into place and under load, I grab the bottom link and hook it onto the hook as well, keeps the extra length of chain from flopping around, ... I don't want to cut it, this is the third tt I've used the same WDH on and each one has used a different link, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post

Thanks!
John
Check the specs for your hitch. Been years since I set one up but seems they specified a minimum number of links between bar and hook. Otherwise leave one or two hanging as once in a while, depending on angles and grade where you wind up parked, it can be hard to get the bars up. Couple times I have had to hook us without hanging my usual three links then reset the bars when up on level terrain.

On a side note. That is behind us now with the NEW TO US diesel pusher. DW says I'm not to even THINK about towing the 9990 lb toy hauler with the new rig. I PROTESTED BUT SHE THREATENED ME WITH VIOLENCE. THAT WOULD BE A SWEET GARAGE. I COULD CARRY TOOLS, A MOTORCYCLE AND A SMALL CAR, I said. STILL NO!!!!
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote