Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #1

Should I get a WD hitch?

Ok, here is my information and question...

Our tow vehicle is a 2009 F-150 Lariat Super Crew 5.4

We currently have a 2005 Rockwood Rino 256G P/U and are looking at upgrading to a Rockwood Roo 233S.

Do I need to get a WD hitch for this camper? I do not use one for the Rino and have never had any issues at all...

All we have ever had was the P/U camper and I am just not sure if I would need anything more than the regular hitch I have on the truck for the 233S...

Thanks!!
Jamie
Snowjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #2

I went from a pop up to a TT and we use a WDH. it depends on the trailers tongue weight and what your truck is rated for. The 233S is most likely under your towing capacity but if the back of the truck sags down then you will want a WDH to even the load. I would say that it is better to be safe than sorry, an Equalizer WDH with 4way sway control will give you peace of mind and a safe tow. I would also look into an elec brake controller if the Roo has elec brakes, I reccomend a prodigy controller.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yes

1. The Roo 233S will weigh over 5,000lbs loaded. Not positive about your truck, but many manufacturers require a WDH for loads of 5,000lbs+ or 500lb+ hitch weight. Check your manual.
  2. A WDH is just smart. A good WDH from Equal-i-zer, Reese or Blue Ox will have sway control built in, which you want.

I see this is your first post so

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments...

My truck actually has a brake controller built in. The Rockwood Rino has electric brakes...It works fantastic and even has sway control built in...

The truck is rated for 9500lbs, I can't remember the tongue weight off the top of my head...
Snowjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Snowjoker - The truck is rated to tow 9500lbs and its plenty for this trailer. Its ability to pull this moderately light trailer is not the issue. The problem is that there are more ratings for the truck to consider.

Hitch rating will be an issue for you - I looked up a Ford brochure and I see that they do indeed have a restriction of 5,000lb trailer / 500lb tongue weight max for the hitch receiver without a weight distribution hitch. You're going to need a WDH just based on that capacity.

Axles: Check your rating for the rear axle. Probably OK but you need to check. The purpose of a WDH is to spread out part of the load that would normally be carried by the rear axle of the vehicle to the front axle of the TV and the trailer's axles. My 233S has a tongue weight of 700-750lbs depending how I loaded it. This weight needs to go somewhere and its better for your truck if you spread out the load.

As an example, if you put a heavy load on the back of the truck behind the rear axle, then all of that weight will be put onto the rear axle and you will find that your front axle will get lighter (because the rear axle becomes a fulcrum).

This can cause steering problems. You've probably seen this with setups where the truck's headlights were pointing up into the trees. A properly adjusted WDH will correct this.

Hope that helps a little more.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 11-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #6

When pulling up the chains on a WDH,is it possible to have too much tension on them,if so how do you know when there is too much tension and what dangers are there of too much tension?
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
When pulling up the chains on a WDH,is it possible to have too much tension on them,if so how do you know when there is too much tension and what dangers are there of too much tension?
Yes, you can over-adjust, which causes the back end to be higher with the WDH than before you snapped on the bars ...

I have the Equal-i-zer so no chains, but the concept is the same. Putting too much weight on the front axle can lead to poor steering, loss of control and - according to Equalizer - jack-knifing in wet or slick road conditions.

You either need to add in some links (lower the L-brackets if equalizer) or remove spacers or both. Maybe there's more to do with the Reese type hiches, but that's not really my area.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 11-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post

Hitch rating will be an issue for you - I looked up a Ford brochure and I see that they do indeed have a restriction of 5,000lb trailer / 500lb tongue weight max for the hitch receiver without a weight distribution hitch. You're going to need a WDH just based on that capacity.

Axles: Check your rating for the rear axle. Probably OK but you need to check. The purpose of a WDH is to spread out part of the load that would normally be carried by the rear axle of the vehicle to the front axle of the TV and the trailer's axles. My 233S has a tongue weight of 700-750lbs depending how I loaded it. This weight needs to go somewhere and its better for your truck if you spread out the load.
To answer the thread title question.....most definitely.

IMHO, Triguy has given some excellent advise.

Comparing the situation to my trailer with a listed empty trailer tongue weight almost 100 lbs. less than the Roo 233S:

Camping ready, my tongue weight is almost 700 lbs. That is 200 lbs. over the listed weight carrying capacity of my hitch at 500 lbs on my 2006 F150. The weight distributing capacity of my hitch is 990 lbs.....almost 2x as much by using a WDH vs. using no WDH.

With that ~700 lb tongue weight (680 actually) hanging behind the rear bumper, it adds ~1000 lbs. to the rear axle. The rear axle now has 3820 lbs. on it, with a RAWR of 3850....only 30 lbs. of leeway. And to top that off, the trailer tongue takes ~300 lbs. from the front axle.

For my exact figures, you can check out that here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ats-11523.html

Hope this helps. Including a integrated sway system in the WDH would also be suggested.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Unless you have a 3/4 ton or bigger, yes, you need a wdh.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #10

We went from a pop up to the Roo 233s and yes. You'll want one for sure.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #11

When the weight is distributed, the whole rig pulls better. There is less bounce on the ball, and you brake with all 4 wheels equally weighted. Carrying all your weight just on the ball, can lead to some bad situations when hard braking.
Finally, look at the sticker regarding towing: there is a huge difference in load limits with a WD hitch, vs without. There is a reason for that difference. Why risk all that property and the lives of those traveling with you?
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote