Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #1

Should you use a Pre Collison Avoidance System when trailering

Many new cars now have, either as standard equipment or an option, Pre Collison systems which use radar to detect an object ahead which the computer feels you should brake to avoid collision and in fact applies the brakes to provide a complete stop to avoid the object. I have this on my Subaru which is our "car" not tow vehicle, and I am an advocate of this type of system. But, I am looking for a tow vehicle for 3000 lb dry travel trailer and find it hard to find anything used which has such a system. Even some new trucks don't offer the system. As example, the Toyota 4Runner does not offer this on new 4Runners.

I am now thinking that even if you are generally an advocate of this system for your car, you may not want it on your tow vehicle, either truck or large SUV. My thought is, in normal, causal driving of your family car, or commute vehicle, you may find yourself distracted, or driving on city streets where it is more likely a pedestrian may dart out in front or you, or a car runs a stop sign on a city street.... and the Pre Collison system may save the day. On the other hand, if most of your mileage is on the interstate towing a trailer, you have less probability of someone pulling out in front of you, or pedestrians, or animals crossing the interstate. Thus less of a need for the radar based Pre Collison System.

Secondly, perhaps with all that weight..and length.. behind you, and the fact that I am very absorbed in driving when towing, keeping an eye out for everything surrounding me, much as I did in my motorcycle days, the Pre Collison system is not really needed, and maybe in fact dangerous.

I don't think this subject has been discussed. It is a very important safety issue, which is relevant as these new radar-computer systems are becoming more common. Should I be looking for a tow vehicle which offers this safety system? Note that I will be using the tow vehicle only for towing, other than detaching and using for local driving at destination. So non-towing mileage will be very limited.

I would like to see a discussion on this subject.
joindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

First I think the technology, with a few pitfalls, is a great safety feature and I would recommend using it at all times. Regardless if you are the most attentive tower in the world, there will be distractions/instances (visually checking the side of the trailer for clearance) which requires you to take your visual attention off the road in front of you to view the side of the vehicle. It's that split-second decision making and redirecting your focus that makes these system good. No matter what, or how good you are, the muscle reflex/reaction time from driving straight ahead with foot on the throttle, to viewing the side of the RV, to immediately looking forward, acknowledging the hazard, moving your foot to the brake pedal, applying the vehicle brakes, and then the reflex time for the vehicle to slow/stop. I'm in full support of these type of systems and I think they make the road safer. They are also not dependent on driver skill to function.
Just my $.02 worth.
spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #3

Personally I feel that when towing a trailer, should a collision warning go off it would probably be too late. Even with trailer brakes and a good controller it takes more distance to stop the combination weight than the unloaded tow vehicle which the collision avoidance system is calibrated for.

I don't even use my cruise control when towing but that's just me.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:17 PM   #4

I think on the new Silverado you can put a system on that will sense a vehicle in front of you and automatically hit the brakes. I really don't want something like that on my truck, it would stop me from drafting big trucks.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
Site Team

We have it on our daily driver (I should say she has it on her daily driver) and we love it. You can turn it on a off as well as set the sensitivity of the system and the distance of sensing. If I were towing, I'd set it at medium to high sensitivity and far sensing. That would activate the system early enough to allow you to react and stop the units before an incident. It would require that you not tailgate the vehicle in front of you!
Old 09-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #6

When towing in dry conditions with low to medium traffic, I use the adaptive cruise control on my truck set to maximum following distance. I find that the distance is the same as my manual following distance. It will take me down to about 20 mph and by then I'm on the brakes. Not sure how far out the sensor is set for when not in CC mode, but it has annoyed me a few times when someone in front of me was making a turn.
Overall, I like the system.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #7

My collision warning on my 16 F150 does not apply the brakes it just "charges" them whatever that means. I have it on to get my attention but it has a nasty habit of going off when someone much farther up is turning and I don't need to brake. If it were to apply the brakes I would turn it off. Maybe the ones that apply the brakes warn first and then apply I am not sure because I have not used one. I would agree in most cases it does not account for the trailer weight because the truck does not know what it is in any way.

There are other systems too.
I do turn off the lane assist. I don't need the truck abruptly turning the trailer in a construction area or when I am purposly trying to swing wide. I have it on warning only when hooked up.

I know the 17 F150s have the BLIS enabled when towing where it is turned off in 16 models. I am sure it requires you enter information about the trailer to use it safely. Since this does not correct and only warns I would use it.

People still debate cruise control. I have speed adjust cruise control. I use it when towing set to the furthest follow distance when on the open highway or I will go too fast for the trailer tires. In traffic I leave it off. If I could not set a follow distance I may still need to use it but it would be off a lot more than on.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I think on the new Silverado you can put a system on that will sense a vehicle in front of you and automatically hit the brakes. I really don't want something like that on my truck, it would stop me from drafting big trucks.
You draft big trucks while towing a trailer?? I bet they love that!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
It can annoy the trucker when they look in their mirrors and see the trailer being towed by the vehicle drafting alternating from one mirror to the other as it sways in the slipstream.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #10

It does a lot more than "annoy" them. You can FEEL the difference when someone is cruising in the wake created by YOUR rig... NO??? The bounce, the sway... what makes you think it is any different for the big riggers??? If you do it often enough, they will peg you on their radios.... good luck at your next "pit stop".
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #11

Even though you stated that the vehicle will be tow only, you might look at the Mercedes GL-350. It has the technology you want and a 6600# tow capacity according to their web site. It could also be a daily driver if needed.

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post

Doesn't bother me I can stop before the commercial truck can besides the truck doesn't even know I'm back there, what does he care
Old 09-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #13

On my wife's Mercedes it has the lane avoidance system, drives me crazy, I have only driven it twice in four years. On the Silverado it vibrates the seat when you move out of your lane, if that system was on my truck I would have my butt massaged after every trip.

Tags
trailer