Old 02-06-2020, 10:01 PM   #21

Oh, I get it. You have the really short box. Sorry, I totally missed that pertinent fact.
I have no experience with those, but in my opinion, they shouldn't be used for fifth wheels, and the installers around here that I have coffee with, won't install them.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Not really. The Sidewinder moves the pivot back 22". So you are saying perhaps the truck was 45° to the RV and going through a dip deep enough for the corner of the RV to make contact with the cab when the truck and trailer resembled a U at the bottom of the dip?
And if you use the sidewinder in conjunction with the 14" slider, won't you be through your tailgate?
We boondock in pretty rough country, going through steep washes, and my RV has never come close to my cab.
I'm just curious and trying to understand what and how your situation occurred.
I suspect your “perhaps” is accurate - as for the tailgate NO I am not as far back as the tailgate - I as well am curious but not wanting to spend another $800 for a rear window
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Oh, I get it. You have the really short box. Sorry, I totally missed that pertinent fact.
I have no experience with those, but in my opinion, they shouldn't be used for fifth wheels, and the installers around here that I have coffee with, won't install them.
Good point but this is my second short box truck and in excess of 12,000 miles towing - it seems to be working very well now with the slider - trust me though I still worry in tight turn conditions k

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2018 Ram 1500 ED W/GDE Tunes
airlifts - Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasch View Post
Good point but this is my second short box truck and in excess of 12,000 miles towing - it seems to be working very well now with the slider - trust me though I still worry in tight turn conditions k
Glad it works for you. Happy Camping!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #25
Paul & Dianne

Just another vote for a sidewinder-type hitch. Scoob, I had the same concerns but I used the Turning Point that came with our 5er to tow from NH to FL. No problems at all. In fact, I would watch the trailer in the mirrors sometimes and I was impressed with how well it tracked. I could feel it when a semi went by, but it wasn’t scary, just noticeable. The trailer would settle right down with no fuss.

Some of that may be due to the hitch. We have a BW Companion, which is rock solid and easy to use. We’re also using the BW-specific wedge, that may help too. Overall, though, I think now that the rotating pin boxes are fine LOL.

Also, as somebody else said, the rotation feature is very handy when you’re unhitched, too. Where we are now, I have the pin box turned back under the trailer to get enough room to park the truck in front of it. So, go ahead and use the rotating pin box, you’ll be fine and I suspect happy with it to boot.

Tags
hitch, slide