Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #1

Slider hitch or sidewinder pin box

Truck will have ISR rails in it and I am kinda up in the air about which way to go with the hitch.

My Rockwood UL 5th wheel comes with a reese revolution hitch in it from the factory. Solely based on what I have read online & forums is that the the non slider hitches provide a softer smoother ride because they can use cushions where the slider hitches cant.

Also saw a video about how moving the pivot point back 22 inches ( like my reese does) allows the trailer to sway more. Pretty much removing the advantage of the 5th wheel over a tt in towing.

So would you prefer a slider or a regular hitch (Curt A20, B&W Patriot) and engage the reese revolution pivot..... and why.

Thanks for any help with my dilemma
Scoob
_________
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:29 PM   #2

I can't imagine how moving the pivot point back 22" with a Revolution would cause sway. I certainly haven't experienced any with my two different Sidewinders on three fifth wheels.
I would never have a slider as they take up too much bed room and weigh a lot. They also seem to bind when you need them most, as my friends have experienced when manuvering in very uneven terrain.
For myself, the Revolution type hitch is the perfect solution for worry free towing with a 6.5' bed. I will always have a 6.5' bed, and will always have a Sidewinder air ride king pin box with a standard, fairly light weight truck hitch.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:36 AM   #3

Until we bought our 5er I had never towed anything longer than a 10' utility trailer, so I can't give you any kind of comparison between conventional and sidewinder.

What I can say is that I love my Reese Revolution (aka "sidewinder").

I have room for a full sized generator, firewood, portable fire pit, satellite dish and concrete block/stand for it, and camping chairs in my short bed truck. With this setup I have my entire bed available with the exception the the actual receiver as opposed to losing all the space behind a slider.

The sidewinder also allows me to keep my tri-fold hard tonneau cover in place (folded up to 1/3 of course).

Of course, not having towed with a conventional pin box I again can't compare, but going down the interstate and having tractor trailers passing me I haven't noticed any sway.

The other HUGE advantage for me is that I only have 33'2" of parking space on the side of my house. I couldn't own the trailer I have if it had a conventional pin box on it - or at least I wouldn't be able to close my gate.

The Revolution can be swiveled 90 degrees, up and under the front of the trailer, which allows me to park the trailer farther forward, close the gate and still walk around he rear of the trailer.

The Curt E16 that I bought was the same price installed as I would have paid for a decent slider without installation, and it weighs less than half, which also helps with payload.

I hope this helps.
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I can't imagine how moving the pivot point back 22" with a Revolution would cause sway. I certainly haven't experienced any with my two different Sidewinders on three fifth wheels.
I would never have a slider as they take up too much bed room and weigh a lot. They also seem to bind when you need them most, as my friends have experienced when manuvering in very uneven terrain.
For myself, the Revolution type hitch is the perfect solution for worry free towing with a 6.5' bed. I will always have a 6.5' bed, and will always have a Sidewinder air ride king pin box with a standard, fairly light weight truck hitch.
I think much like you in terms of the slider, its why I was asking for more input.

The sway from moving the pivot point back is real. It's math, the farther you move the pivot point back from the axle the more sway you are going to get. It's why a TT will sway much more then a 5th wheel. Because its pivot point is so far back on the TV.
I was hoping that the 22" would not be far enough to cause any real problems. I seems by your account (and I totally believe you) that it isnt

Thanks
Old 02-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #5

We have a “Turning Point” pinbox which is the same as the Sidewinder. I actually prefer using this setup because it causes our 5er to track more like a tt instead of tracking closer on corners. As for reacting more to cross winds and passing trucks, I have never noticed it with this setup.
In my mind, this is the best of both worlds!
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

In all my forum visits and campfire chats, I've never heard reference to the Revolution/Turning Point causing sway.

That said. I had a Reese slider hitch for nearly 25 years that I NEVER slid.
My Flagstaff 8529IKBS came with a Revolution and I tried it for a few trips and then locked it back up and have used it that way since (I had some hitching issues) but I never noticed any TOWING difference with it locked or unlocked.

I recently put a B&W Companion (non slider) in my truck (for reasons beyond this post) and have no issues turning or with sway. All my trucks have been either 6.5 or 6.75 beds.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #7

I've towed my fifth wheel over 25k miles with a Sidewinder and never had any sway, regardless of wind conditions.
2020 Ram 3500 Dually with HD Cummins TD
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
The sway from moving the pivot point back is real. It's math, the farther you move the pivot point back from the axle the more sway you are going to get. It's why a TT will sway much more then a 5th wheel. Because its pivot point is so far back on the TV.
Oh, I've seen the same videos I think you are talking about. But I believe you are over thinking this. The Revolution is still a fifth wheel kingpin and plate, which is inherently more stable than a ball, which is why most bumper pulls of any size require anti-sway bars. The fishtailing type sway can also be caused by improper loading, axle distance from ball, tires, and on and on.
On my current 35' trailer, with lighter than average pin weight and fresh water tank behind the RV axles, I would get slight (very slight) sway around semis if I didn't put extra weight in the front of the RV when full of fresh water.
I pulled it home 12 hours w/o the Sidewinder (dealer had ordered the wrong mount), and after I installed the Sidewinder, I never noticed any change in sway or rocking. Same with my others. I do notice that backing reaction time to steering turns is increased which improves ease of backing. The trailer more closely follows the truck tracks, which makes turns easier also.
I recently upgraded my trailer tires from E to G load rating, 10 to 14 ply. Now I can't tell there are any semis around me. No more push and suck feeling as they pass you. I was surprised at that change. Also it takes much more cross wind for me to feel it also.
I believe that after you start using your Revolution, you will find your fear of introducing sway will be unfounded. You will appreciate the many benefits as most of us do
Happy camping!
Old 02-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Oh, I've seen the same videos I think you are talking about. But I believe you are over thinking this.
Happy camping!
I believe you are right and the reason I came to the forum

I was hoping so much this is the case because I really didnt want to deal with a slider hitch at all. And REALLY hoping with the way the Rockwood is curved on the side that I would be able to run a regular hitch in my 6 3/4 bed and not even need the revolution. But my fear was I would try the regular hitch and the revolution sucked at which point I would be stuck with a hitch I cant use

Thank you all for the help, I REALLY appreciate it.
Scoob
Old 02-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
I believe you are right and the reason I came to the forum

I was hoping so much this is the case because I really didnt want to deal with a slider hitch at all. And REALLY hoping with the way the Rockwood is curved on the side that I would be able to run a regular hitch in my 6 3/4 bed and not even need the revolution. But my fear was I would try the regular hitch and the revolution sucked at which point I would be stuck with a hitch I cant use

Thank you all for the help, I REALLY appreciate it.
Scoob
This is exactly what I am doing as I mentioned in post # 6.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #11

I pulled with 3 short bed (Ford 6'9" bed) trucks. 1st with a Reese slider and it went to the recycle bin. Then a B&W Patriot. Only NEEDED 3 times. Now with the long bed it will never be needed but I'm keeping it as a great hitch
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #12

Sway

What are you using as a TV? What is the weight of your trailer?
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
What are you using as a TV? What is the weight of your trailer?
tv = 2017 f250 supercab short bed (6 3/4)

5th wheel 8000 dry, 9200 loaded pin weight about 1500
Old 02-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #14

Set-up

You should be happy w/ a regular hitch. I like the B&W quality. both good choices.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #15

I had a pullrite super glide sliding hitch and never experienced any sway, some slight noise but nothing I couldn't live with. The only thing I noticed is that when maneuvering in gas stations which required some pretty tight turns the back of the 5th wheel didn't track as tightly due to the hitch sliding back, other than that I had no problems with it.
mlwilliams808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #16

I have a Rockwood with sidewinder locked in with curt wedge for a Curt 16 (no slider) in a 5'7" box - experienced a perfect storm on a very un level lot and while backing up broke out the rear window of my truck. I have sense added the slider hitch option to my hitch.

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasch View Post
I have a Rockwood with sidewinder locked in with curt wedge for a Curt 16 (no slider) in a 5'7" box - experienced a perfect storm on a very un level lot and while backing up broke out the rear window of my truck. I have sense added the slider hitch option to my hitch.
So you are saying you were using a sidewinder and still busted out your back window? Were you more than 90°? Why do you think a slider would of resulted in anything different? Sliders only move back 12-14" usually.
And you aren't saying you are using the sidewinder, wedge, and slider together, are you?
Old 02-06-2020, 09:42 PM   #18

Quote:
So you are saying you were using a sidewinder and still busted out your back window? Were you more than 90°? Why do you think a slider would of resulted in anything different? Sliders only move back 12-14" usually.
And you aren't saying you are using the sidewinder, wedge, and slider together, are you?
Yes to 1st question - I was far less than 90 deg but camper was tilted from back to front - I was by myself and hard to know the exact conditions - read one other forum that experienced same conditions and result - the slider hitch will now move pin point back (est) 14” during parking giving more clearance from rear window during tight turn parking - cannot use slider position while towing down the road - only for parking - does that make sense now? I am using sidewinder, slider and wedge now

Forest River - Rockwood
Old 02-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Yes to 1st question - I was far less than 90 deg but camper was tilted from back to front - I was by myself and hard to know the exact conditions - read one other forum that experienced same conditions and result - the slider hitch will now move pin point back (est) 14” during parking giving more clearance from rear window during tight turn parking - cannot use slider position while towing down the road - only for parking - does that make sense now?
I am using sidewinder, slider and wedge now mostly due to having a short box (5’7”)

Forest River - Rockwood
Old 02-06-2020, 09:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Yes to 1st question - I was far less than 90 deg but camper was tilted from back to front - I was by myself and hard to know the exact conditions - read one other forum that experienced same conditions and result - the slider hitch will now move pin point back (est) 14” during parking giving more clearance from rear window during tight turn parking - cannot use slider position while towing down the road - only for parking - does that make sense now?
Not really. The Sidewinder moves the pivot back 22". So you are saying perhaps the truck was 45° to the RV and going through a dip deep enough for the corner of the RV to make contact with the cab when the truck and trailer resembled a U at the bottom of the dip?
And if you use the sidewinder in conjunction with the 14" slider, won't you be through your tailgate?
We boondock in pretty rough country, going through steep washes, and my RV has never come close to my cab.
I'm just curious and trying to understand what and how your situation occurred.

Tags
hitch, slide