Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

Sloppy Curt E16 Fifth Wheel Hitch

My father recently purchased a new Rockwood 8289WS, and the dealer installed a Curt E16 on a slider into his truck. On the way home, he is feeling some clunking, but being new to fifth wheel pulling, wasn't sure if that was the norm or not.

Once home, we looked into it, and the pin is moving in the hitch. The pin measures 2.000". The space in the hitch, with the lock bar closed, measures 2.225". That's almost 1/4" of slop. That's why he is hearing a big clunk every time he starts and stops.

The dealer referred him to the local Curt rep, who is new on the job, and he says that is normal.

I call "BS" on that. The hitch sounds awful. I've always run Reese hitches with the two jaws, and they hold the pin tight.

What does everyone else think? Does anyone else pull with a Curt E16 with similar issues? It looks like we can buy a Q16 head and put in on the slider base. Is the Q16 any better?

The lines in the picture show the amount of travel from full forward to full reward.

The video shows the movement when applying and releasing the throttle in the driveway. No brakes used. There is also a lot of slop in the slider assembly.

Thanks for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160522_081700.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	110406  
Attached Files
pschnetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't know about the E16, but I have the Q16 on the roller and it doesn't move enough to tell it. The roller only moves about 1/8" or less.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #3

My 2-year-old E16 measures a bit less than 2 3/16" for that gap... so a bit less than your dad's.

By the look of the vertical gap between the plate and the pin-box in your picture, it appears there's a lube plate in there. This implies that the Reese Revolution is not activated (because you do not use a lube plate with the Revolution active).

If, during activation of the Revolution, the pin is back against the slide bar when you install the proper wedge (i.e. tap it forward), then the wedge will keep the pin from sliding forward very far.

Mine doesn't make any objectionable noise and I can't see any wear on either surface that would take an impact if the pin was sliding 3/16". To my mind, the pressure should almost always be on that beefy slide bar during both acceleration and braking (because I have my controller adjusted so the trailer is braking just a bit more than it would need to to stop itself so its trying to pull the truck back just a bit).

P.S. If the Revolution is activated, that slider is a waste of money. Seems like the dealer didn't know what he was doing... mine activated the Revolution (and threw in the custom wedge for free) during the delivery.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The "E" in E16 stands for Economy. I had one of these hitches and used it for one trip, (I didn't have a choice at the time) and immediately bought a Q20 once I got back. Night and day difference between a slide bar and a locking jaw hitch.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #5

E16 is sloppy

I got one of these also. On my first turn I bit a chunk out of my seat. Do not notice much front to back movement but there is definitely side to side. Plan on adding a shim in there one of these days. The Q would have been a much wiser option
sailtrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If anyone is coming through OH on I-75, I have a Q20 that I would be willing to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #7

I got rid of my Q16 for the same reason. I was also told the same thing. Went with B&W Patriot 18k. Much better hitch.
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #8

Just to follow up for anyone following this thread...

My dad found a dealer willing to trade him a Q16 for his E16 and the cost at new difference. The dealer said the E16 is a cheap entry level hitch that's not very good, but most people don't tow very far or that often and don't need a good quality hitch. It's his best selling hitch.

The Q16 is night and day better. The slop and clunking is gone. Most of the sway when pulling is gone too. Much better option. He would highly recommend it.

To make it one step better yet, he order the solid legs and got rid of the rollers as he has yet to need them. Also, his camper has the Reese Revolution if he were to ever find he needs more clearance.

Thanks to all for the advice and comments.
pschnetts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch, wheel