Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Doubt anyone on here could answer that and have a real working knowledge about it.
I only know one guy who could possibly answer all that, and he works at another dealership now. He can change or program just about anything on a gm vehicle.
I hate to bother him about a forum question, especially since theres gonna be a few that will say that he or "we" don't know what were talking about. But you'd be hard pressed to find a smarter tech than him.
Thanks MillerTime, I totally understand not wanting to bother him. Do you agree with my perspective to drive it the way it best suits your particular towing application?
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #82
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
Thanks MillerTime, I totally understand not wanting to bother him. Do you agree with my perspective to drive it the way it best suits your particular towing application?
If you feel its working better or more effectively for you, go for it. I wouldn't worry about temps being 200 or less, or even a little above, but you don't want it too cold either. Thats why some torque converters hold it at a higher rpm untill it gets warm. On my truck its usually about a mile and a half to 2 miles till it lets the rpms drop.
Also not everybodys truck is going to run and shift the same across all the same drive train. There are new flashes that come out sometimes for different control modules that have updates or fixes for some glitches or problems, but the only way to check is to have a tech with gm support and a computer with connections to check to see if the programs are current or if there is an update.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #83

I was the one that mentioned higher fluid pressures. Lots of mentions online, here is just one: The GM 6L80 & 6L90 Transmission | Novak Conversions
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:25 PM   #84

I thought I would post this, it's a random GM description of T/H mode May or may not cover all transmission's.

Tow/Haul Mode
Tow/Haul mode significantly changes the transmission shift pattern to reduce shift cycling and to deliver better performance, control, and cooling when towing or hauling heavy loads. For instance:

Upshift points are raised at light to mid throttle position to use more of the available engine power for acceleration. Downshift points are raised to enhance engine braking to help slow the vehicle.
During deceleration, the torque converter clutch (TCC) remains applied at closed throttle at lower speeds to significantly improve the effect of engine braking.
During acceleration, the TCC is applied in 2nd range and remains applied in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. This improves the drivetrain efficiency and significantly lowers transmission sump temperature when towing heavy loads. In Normal mode, the TCC generally applies only in higher ranges and is dependent on throttle position.
Tow/haul is designed to be most effective when the vehicle and trailer combined weight is at least 75 percent of the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of the vehicle.
Operation of tow/haul in a lightly loaded or non-loaded vehicle will not cause damage. However, there is no benefit to the selection of tow/haul when the vehicle is unloaded. This situation will cause a firm shift. The tow/haul switch is not a performance switch.
Selection of tow/haul when unloaded may result in unpleasant engine and transmission driving characteristics and reduced fuel economy. Tow/haul is recommended only when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.
Activation
Tow/Haul is selected or de-selected via a switch on the end of the transmission shift lever. A lamp on the instrument panel will illuminate to indicate that tow/haul has been selected.
Tow/Haul must be selected again, every time the vehicle is started, if desired.

Tags
trailer, modifications