Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #61

My dad had a run in with one of these gods gift to towing know it all's. Told my dad he shouldn't be towing anything with his suv (2100lbs single axle trailer). Lit into him for about fifteen minutes over it he said. This guy was pulling a 29ft fiberglass 5er with a single axel kenworth day cab. Sunday morning dad said all he could do is honk and wave as he passed Mr know-it-all going up the hill pulling out of the camp ground because someone forgot to lock the 5er and dropped it off the back of his kenworth. Overloaded or underloaded doesn't really mean anything if your complacent and careless bad things will happen no matter what side you fall on.
5OHcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:31 AM   #62

If we're only talking payload and not GCWR then the two potential problems are tire rating and rear springs. Both can be addressed by picking the right tires and rims and different springs/air bags/overload springs. I'm not aware of duallies using different outer axle shaft bearings but there is a small chance they do so there is potential for accelerated wear.

Still, the tow vehicle may be over the published rear axle load limit which may or may not be an issue depending on jurisdiction.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:50 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I need facts, more than "it's against the law". I need (or want, actually) to know what physical and technical problems being overloaded causes.

Not getting real answers. Hmmmmmm. I know that I don't know!!! I have no clue what damage it might cause. But I need damage expectations, towing anomalies, not just law. Meaning, I won't win any discussions with nothing but "law" on my side.
I doubt you'll be provided any.

It's easier to come up with fud than it is to provide an instance where a part failed. Or a real case where it was determined that someone involved in an accident had exceeded a weight spec.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:56 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I guess I'm lucky I'm not in prison for yanking that 32 footer around with my 1978 heavy half chevy back in the 80's. No sway, no problems stopping, no internet, I didn't know I was wrong.

I don't like seeing half tons pulling big fifths nowadays, but I just either let them go by or get the hell away from them. I won't give advice unless it's asked for. I'm not going to be paying for the repairs and I figure it's none of my business. I guess it's the police's business since internet weight police keep bringing up "breaking the law".

When it comes to the registration scheme between 2500 and 3500, I'm not going to pay much attention to my payload sticker. I'm registered to 12,000 pounds, so far as the state of IL cares my payload is 4,000 even though my sticker on my door says it's close to 2400. I'm not sure they care anyhow. My next trailer will have an advertised pin weight of 2050 which means it will probably actually be 2700. I'm going to do it anyway. I'll upgrade my tires and probably add the extra spring they put on the 3500hd's. If I win the lottery tonight I'll buy a dually or a freightliner m2, but probably won't happen.

Not worried about tranny, not worried about power, not worried about rear end. Same parts. Registration scheme on paper so some people won't have to pay extra to the government and they can keep selling those trucks. If I was ordering I'd have bought a 3500hd but I got a great deal on this 2500hd with only 25000 miles.
Chevy or Dodge?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 AM   #65

A point missed by many is the DOT and the various state acronyms jurisdiction is commercial drivers driving commercial vehicles. When a commercial truck is passing a scale it is just as likely to be time logs, license or medical card issues as weight issues. They also randomly pull trucks at scales and on the highway for vehicle inspections. Overweight tickets result in fines and increased DOT safety scores for the companies, usually not driver points. Some operators in some industries like logging and container cartage treat overweight fines as a cost of business. It only takes a handful of overweight loads to make back the fines when they are caught.

The various agencies charged with enforcement of commercial vehicle laws are not usually interested in boats, campers etc unless being pulled by a for hire vehicle.

I don't know anyone who has been ticketed for an overweight camper, however I'm sure an ambitious and bored officer has written a few up somewhere. I do know folks who have been ticketed and had to drop overweight trailers loaded with firewood and gravel. In these instances the vehicles were clearly unsafe due to weight. No scale involved. Unsafe driving/careless and negligent type tickets.

If you are driving a combo that is clearly sagging, has bulging tires, weather cracked tires, missing lights troubles climbing hills and maintaining speed, excessive swaying or otherwise appears to be unsafe or unable to pass an inspection expect to be stopped. If your combination appears safe and has any required plates and inspection stickers up to date the officer will probably assume it is legal.

The exception is states where private vehicles register by weight a local officer my see some easy revenue if he suspects you are over your registered weight. I doubt he will care about manufacturer ratings unless that is how you are taxed.

These are my observations as a commercial driver and frequent TT traveler, and I see a lot.

I'm somewhere in the middle as a weight cop. If a rig is over its ratings and the weak link, often tires or suspension, has been addressed I'm not concerned. I'm also not concerned if your weak link is power or cooling. Neither is likely to cause a problem for others. However if the list I started this rant with describes you please consider the safety of others even if your not worried about yourself.

My gut reaction is a grossly overloaded combo in an accident would work against you but if this is your concern a lawyer not an internet forum is the place to ask.
2007 Thor Cub 165 hybrid
Husky round bar hitch
2006 Honda Shadow and 13ft canoe in the truck bed
TKPINSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:38 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
Chevy or Dodge?
I own a chevy now, next truck will most likely also be a chevy. I like chevies.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #67

I would love to buy a dually but DW says she is not going to walk a mile every time we go somewhere and have to park the dually, it's hard enough to park a SRW 3500 long bed. I would love to trade campers but the ones I'm looking at I can pull with the SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #68
Always Learning

Interesting thread and some neat observations.

doc73, as always- excellent replies and information from the law/enforcement side of things.

BandJCam, thanks for asking. I've actually wondered the same.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I own a chevy now, next truck will most likely also be a chevy. I like chevies.
Ah ok, I was asking because Dodge and Chevy use the same model (2500/3500).
On recent Rams, 2500s have coil springs in the rear and 3500s have leaf springs. The rear axles are also different.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I need facts, more than "it's against the law". I need (or want, actually) to know what physical and technical problems being overloaded causes.

Not getting real answers. Hmmmmmm. I know that I don't know!!! I have no clue what damage it might cause. But I need damage expectations, towing anomalies, not just law. Meaning, I won't win any discussions with nothing but "law" on my side.
GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - The weight
rating established by the chassis manufacturer as
the maximum weight (including vehicle, cargo,
liquids, passengers, etc.) the components of the
chassis are designed to support.

"Industry standards generally form the basis for demonstrating product safety and quality before courts, regulators, retailers, consumers and others."

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) are U.S. federal regulations specifying design, construction, performance, and durability requirements for motor vehicles and regulated Automobile safety-related components, systems, and design features.