Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #1

st tires for long road trip

hello i just came back from a long 12 hour road trip and i had a blow out. When i left i had my max cold psi which was 65psi on all my trailer tires. i stopped just to get gas and bathroom breaks. then all of a sudden pop it blew and i fixed it.My speed was between 60 and 65 mph all the way back home. i notice a wavey look to the part which has tread on it, what i mean is when you look at tires all the way across tire should be straight that rolls over road,but my tires looked like they had small waves across the tread. what my questions are:
Why would there be a wavey look across tread of tire?
What are the best kind of st tires for on a long road trips?
What should i do to keep them in good shape and prevent a blow out?
Do i have to let air out of tires after driving a long ways to prevent overheating?
Bri704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #2

I have heard that many times. Having a blowout shortly after a stop. Seems like a hot tire sitting in one spot causes a tire to separate. Just my opinion.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #3

what should i do to fix that?
Old 12-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #4

Trailer tires seem to be of the minimum carrying capacity for the trailer's weight and travel trailers seem to be universally overloaded. The tires should not get "hot." Hot tires indicates under-inflation or over-loading. I'd verify your weight before buying new tires. Going up a tire size is usually possible on the same wheels.

How old are these tires? I've had one blow out (at speed, unfortunately) and determined the tires were pushing 10 years old! The spare was older... Be thankful this happened when stopped. I don't have "bling" wheels on my trailer so I bought a set of five (5) new tires mounted on new wheels and did the swap in my driveway.

-- Chuck
Old 12-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #5

chuck i had these tires when i bought it early this year so maybe i can get a warrenty on them
Old 12-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #6

After we bought our current trailer used I replaced all the tires with Goodyear Endurance tires. They’ve been great and have put roughly 10,000 miles on them over the past 2 summers.

There are some pretty awful ST tires out there and some really good ones. They’re not all equal. You didn’t mention the brand of tire you have that blew out so we don’t know if you have a brand that is known to be problematic or not.

The wavy look could be due to tread separation or a manufacturing defect, hard to say. Doesn’t sound like you have tires you can trust so I’d replace them with good quality tires like the Endurance tires.

Good luck!
Old 12-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
After we bought our current trailer used I replaced all the tires with Goodyear Endurance tires. They’ve been great and have put roughly 10,000 miles on them over the past 2 summers.

There are some pretty awful ST tires out there and some really good ones. They’re not all equal. You didn’t mention the brand of tire you have that blew out so we don’t know if you have a brand that is known to be problematic or not.

The wavy look could be due to tread separation or a manufacturing defect, hard to say. Doesn’t sound like you have tires you can trust so I’d replace them with good quality tires like the Endurance tires.

Good luck!
Yep ... what DieselDrax said
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
Always Learning

What make/model trailer do you have? And what's the GVWR of your rig?

The tires that I would put on my camper are:
  • Goodyear Endurance
  • Maxxis m8008
  • Goodyear G614
  • Sailun S637

Depending on tire size and weight of the trailer, of course.

If you can, go up a load range for higher carrying capacity.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:

There are some pretty awful ST tires out there and some really good ones. They’re not all equal.
I went from C range to D range for extra load carrying capacity that the OEM tires did not give me.

I opted for the newly introduced, ( about 2 years ago come January) American made, Goodyear Endurance ST tires. Compare your tire carcass to a GY Endurance tire and note how much heavier and stiffer the GY tires are then the flimsy OEM tires are.

Many will say that two years is NOT ENOUGH time to PROVE themselves in actual use. Well seeing and feeling the tire OFF the wheel was enough to convince me they are superior tires and so far in about 18 months of service I have not regretted my decision to change all 4 of my tires. Make sure they are balanced and have metal valve stems installed if you currently have the rubber ones.

GY and many other tire shops handle them and there are dozens of tire threads on here where new owners have moved to the GY Endurance brand.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri704 View Post
Do i have to let air out of tires after driving a long ways to prevent overheating?
You should NEVER let air out of a hot tire. The only time air pressure should be adjusted is when the vehicle hasn't moved for several hours and the tire is considered "Cold". In this case, the term "cold" means the tire is at ambient temperature.

It sounds like you had a tire that started to separate long before it "blew" and may have more that are about to do likewise.

Time to consult a good tire dealer and have the remaining tire inspected.

As for replacements, the Goodyear Endurance is living up to it's advertising. I replaced my OE tires with them and am impressed. Nice ride, tow straight. What more can you ask of a trailer tire?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #11

TIRES

My Wildwood experienced 4 blowouts from 1,200 miles to 10,000 miles. I got rid of the original tires after the 2nd blowout, but they continued, I finally went from 205's to 275's in the Goodyear Endurance. After a 500 mile trip, the trailer pulls better and I had no problems. While 500 miles isn't enough to know for sure, I'm now confident when pulling the trailer. Those original tires were just on the edge of their weight limit.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #12

Tires

X3 DieselDax-same on my trailer w/ 9k over last 2 years. Max life is 5 years on ST tires.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #13

After watching the local RV dealers yard person maneuver dual axle trailers around with a forklift I have a better understanding of why so many newer trailers blow tires. This guys twisted and spun dual axle trailers with soft tires around in circles with side loads that were folding tires over onto the sidewalls.
This kind of abuse and barely load rated tires are bound to fail.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #14

I see the Goodyear Endurance Tire gets a lot of mention on here as being one of the go to tires for durability.

Has anyone tried these TransEagle brand tires, if so what are your thoughts on running them.
These are G Rated 14 ply tires and from my experience hauling Backhoes behind my one ton dually, the heaver the tire the better off you'll be for not heating the tires up and less prone to flexing when making tight turns.

Taking off brand new OEM tires on trailer, I'll be replacing with either Goodyear or these TransEagle tires before spring time.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/qk8otfs

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #15

China Bomb

I have posted this link before about Chinese Tires: Read the whole article and you will see a glimmer of why my last two RV’ s have had Goodyear Endurance tires!
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/26/business/worldbusiness/26tire.html
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Why would there be a wavey look across tread of tire?
Do you have a picture of this?
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #17

There is a large commercial construction company near my business. They run 6 or 7 utility trailers loaded with bobcats, tractors, generators, etc. onto construction sites every day. The owner told me that he has had the best luck with Maxxis and Carlisle tires. With the abuse that his trailer tires go thru and lack of proper inflation (which he admitted to), I went with Carlisle. 6,000+ miles with no issues.

ependydad's list looks good as well.

2015 Brookstone 315RL
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Diesel 4x4 CC LB LEMON
Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdT View Post
I have posted this link before about Chinese Tires: Read the whole article and you will see a glimmer of why my last two RV’ s have had Goodyear Endurance tires!
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/26/b...ss/26tire.html
To be fair, the article pointed out what ONE Chinese tire company did. Not all are so careless. Because Foreign Tire Sales acted more as an import agent, not stocking tires, the Manufacturer was able to slip one past them when they made unilateral changes in the tire.

Chinese tires that are imported by many companies are shipped to warehouses in this country and their own quality control people are a lot more on top of tire problems as they occur than Foreign Tire Sales was.

FWIW, the issue with these light truck tires shows that NHTSA does force recalls on defective tires WHEN SUFFICIENT DATA BECOMES AVAILABLE. This is why everyone who experiences a premature failure on ANY tire should file a warranty claim and if denied, file a report with NHTSA.

May seem like too much trouble to some but it's the only way to force better products into the market.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:43 PM   #19

Quote:
chuck i had these tires when i bought it early this year so maybe i can get a warrenty on them
Let us all know it warranty works. Good luck.

But I concur that you probably can and certainly should upgrade to LR E.

I had two of my stock CHINA BOMBS come apart. One while rolling and thank God for TST TPMS, I got off the road before the casing came apart and did any harm.

Then next day at tire shop we found one more separating so I replaced them all. Upgraded to LR E. And bought Endurance. I would have gone Carlisle but that Discount Tire location didn't stock them. I've always checked my weight. And pressure is checked every day before I roll. At least I got 27 months and about 13000 miles out of the factory tires.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #20
Canadian Member

In September 2017 the RVIA changed (increased) its recommendation to its member RV manufacturers about the load range of ST tires to install on new units. So if your RV trailer was manufactured before, say, January 2018, I agree that you should upgrade one load range from what the sticker on the trailer says. Check to make sure the combined load rating of your tires is at least 20% higher than:
a) the actual load you’re putting on them, or
b) 80% of the trailer’s GVWR for a fifth wheel or 90% of the trailer’s GVWR for a travel trailer
whichever is higher.

There are a few reputable ST tires made by Asian-based tire companies but there are certainly some crappy tires on the market.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires