Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #1

Stability issues Revolution/Turning Point??

Anyone using this set up with the pivot point moved 22 " back having any stability issues when pulling down the road with a little wind or passing trucks causing sway or slow recovery ... Still trying to pick a hitch and would like to use this feature on my Ram with 6.4 bed ... Thanks Frank
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

I have used a sidewinder for 10 years in two different RVs. Never any hint of sway issues. Why are you concerned about that? I do like that the fiver follows the truck tracks closer and turns more slowly when backing. Of course the best part is never having to worry about hitting your truck cab.

Buy the hitch you like for your truck. Doesn't really matter. I stuck with the simplest , lightest, cheapest Reese standard hitch. Just ensure you get the proper wedge for it. Some require custom wedges.

As long as I have a 6.5' bed, I will be using a Sidewinder or equivalent.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I have used a sidewinder for 10 years in two different RVs. Never any hint of sway issues. Why are you concerned about that? I do like that the fiver follows the truck tracks closer and turns more slowly when backing. Of course the best part is never having to worry about hitting your truck cab.

Buy the hitch you like for your truck. Doesn't really matter. I stuck with the simplest , lightest, cheapest Reese standard hitch. Just ensure you get the proper wedge for it. Some require custom wedges.

Scott Thanks for your reply. Sometimes the internet is not my friend, I read a blog suggesting that these hook ups cause some instability and I had some doubts. I will use the Turning Point that is coming on my new Rockwood 2898KS. I was looking at Anderson to save weight but the under bed goose ball weights 90 lbs and the hitch 42 lbs so there is little savings there compared to a B&W Patriot 16K or 18K. B&W has a custom wedge they recommend. I am 6 to 10 weeks out before the Rockwood gets here and will have the hitch done in the next 2 weeks. Thanks for the advice ... Frank
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:

Same here. Revolution on Rockwood. Sidewinder on Bighorn and I am putting the Sidewidner on my new Landmark 365 Louisville i pick the end of this month.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:19 PM   #5

I understand about the internet throwing you off course. I have found that the Sidewinder/Revolution gets blamed for all sorts of things, usually by folks who don't have a clue how they work and have never used one. And I have never heard of the Sidewinder being at fault when the cause of the real problem was found.

When disconnected, I usually turn the Sidewinder sideways to get it out of the way when walking around the front of the RV. As expected, I have had many conversations about 'what is wrong' with my hitch. I'm also amazed at how many folks just never can get their mind around how it works and "would never trust it".

After you get it adjusted and have used it, you will really enjoy it.

Have fun!
Old 02-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #6

Stability issues Revolution/Turning Point??

My Original Message - Posted in July of 2018

"Towing 5th Wheel - Violent Shaking Incident
Newbie here. On our second "shake-down" trip, we encountered a disturbing vibration that had the fifth wheel rolling from side to side at what seem like 10° each way. I was going up a slight incline (WB I-196 in Grand Rapids, MI) and a slight curve to the left with cruise control set on 65 mph. I immediately cut the cruise control (with the cancel button) and let the vehicle slow with no braking. It took about 10-15 seconds for the rolling/shaking to stop. DW was visibly shaken by this incident . . . me too!

I spoke with several fifth wheelers at the RV park and no one had ever encountered this. One of these was a long-haul trucker and he said he never uses cruise control so he can "feel" his rig better.

On the return trip I didn't use the cruise and indeed it was a better towing "feel". Still, near the end of our return, a little side-to-side rolling motion started and by dropping off the accelerator and tapping my brake control lightly a couple of times the rolling subsided. No curve, no cruise, but a slight incline.

We have a Lippert Turning Point pinbox with a Reese 15K Pro Series Hitch.

Has anyone encountered this? What makes it occur and how do I keep it from happening. If I can't solve this, DW (and myself!) won't be continuing.

Thanks!"

Since this time, I took the 5th Wheel back to the dealer. Had them go over it and it appears there as a star washer under a bolt to the wedge that lifted the wedge enough to make it unstable by sitting too high. I also had all four wheels/tires balanced at my cost.

Took it out three more trips last year and the problem did not reappear. One trip we were returning in 40-50 mph winds (mid-Michigan area) and never got the rolling action again, although we did feel the wind against the side of the Fiver a couple of times that caused me to let up on the accelerator. I spoke to a number of people with trailers and 18-wheelers at rest stops that had the same issue.

I still don't use cruise when towing the 5th Wheel.
Tuckers Truckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #7
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
Scott Thanks for your reply. Sometimes the internet is not my friend, I read a blog suggesting that these hook ups cause some instability and I had some doubts. I will use the Turning Point that is coming on my new Rockwood 2898KS. I was looking at Anderson to save weight but the under bed goose ball weights 90 lbs and the hitch 42 lbs so there is little savings there compared to a B&W Patriot 16K or 18K. B&W has a custom wedge they recommend. I am 6 to 10 weeks out before the Rockwood gets here and will have the hitch done in the next 2 weeks. Thanks for the advice ... Frank
You will still need steel structures under the bed to support any hitch, so the Andersen hitch still has a big weight savings. I have a 6'-8" bed and never have a problem with turning. You would have to use a wedge to keep the pin locked. It is a lot more forgiving when hooking and unhooking at angles both tilt and not in a straight line.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall frog View Post
You will still need steel structures under the bed to support any hitch, so the Andersen hitch still has a big weight savings. I have a 6'-8" bed and never have a problem with turning. You would have to use a wedge to keep the pin locked. It is a lot more forgiving when hooking and unhooking at angles both tilt and not in a straight line.
I disagree with about everything you have written here except for the weight, but not for the reasons you are assuming. I'm glad you like your Anderson, but it has its qualities others don't appreciate.

As far as hooking and unhooking the Revolution, I'm assuming you are just repeating another myth. True, you have to be fairly straight on with the wedge (and only the wedge) for the revolution, but otherwise you can be at any angle or tilt between RV and TV. Good thing about the Revolution is you can turn the hitch to match the angle between the two when not in a straight on situation. Easy. We boondock in very unlevel/tight/angled areas and never have a problem with hitching. Another myth disproved.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
I disagree with about everything you have written here except for the weight, but not for the reasons you are assuming. I'm glad you like your Anderson, but it has its qualities others don't appreciate.

As far as hooking and unhooking the Revolution, I'm assuming you are just repeating another myth. True, you have to be fairly straight on with the wedge (and only the wedge) for the revolution, but otherwise you can be at any angle or tilt between RV and TV. Good thing about the Revolution is you can turn the hitch to match the angle between the two when not in a straight on situation. Easy. We boondock in very unlevel/tight/angled areas and never have a problem with hitching. Another myth disproved.
I always wondered if it was harder to align due to the wedge.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I always wondered if it was harder to align due to the wedge.
I found that lubing the sides of the wedge greatly increases the ease of hitching if not precisely aligned between truck hitch and wedge. Which I rarely achieve due to my 'exceptional' backing skills (according to my DW)....
Old 02-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
I found that lubing the sides of the wedge greatly increases the ease of hitching if not precisely aligned between truck hitch and wedge. Which I rarely achieve due to my 'exceptional' backing skills (according to my DW)....
Haha, I'm sure..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote