Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #21

70-75 for me... on the open interstate. Basically running with traffic flow. Maintain your distance and all is well.

60 is s l o w ...
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
70-75 for me... on the open interstate. Basically running with traffic flow. Maintain your distance and all is well.

60 is s l o w ...
Just as long as you don't start a "china bomb" thread, lol.

Texas had this dual thing going on a number of years ago. Not sure when they stopped, but I haven't seen signs in a long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80mph.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	120714  
Old 09-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Don't think so. Have never seen a 55 mph sign for towing in NC.
x2. Lived in NC for 40 years and I have never seen a different speed posted for towing. Just asked a friend who was a state trooper and he confirmed that there is not a separate trailer speed.
Darugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #24

I have nearly 7 ton attached to a 4 1/2 ton vehicle. I don't care the max speed limit or the tire speed limit, I have no need to go over 65 mph. Maybe I take the responsibility of the safety of my passengers, myself, and all those on the highways too seriously.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by modem9 View Post
Living in Calif. I agree that almost no one pulls a trailer at 55. I usually pull at 60-62 as that is what my current tires are rated at plus it feels safer. However, I am often passed by other RV's. For us we are not in a big hurry to get anywhere and want to be sure we are driving at a safe speed for the 5th as well as the tires. When these tires go I will upgrade to one that are rated for 70-80 however.
I'm one of the "almost no one" that tows at 55 and often am passed by many others towing that are going faster.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I have nearly 7 ton attached to a 4 1/2 ton vehicle. I don't care the max speed limit or the tire speed limit, I have no need to go over 65 mph. Maybe I take the responsibility of the safety of my passengers, myself, and all those on the highways too seriously.

... because 65 and less is Mr. Safety, but over that is the devil!

LOL!

You're probably the slow birds blocking the flow of traffic...
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #27

Quote:
... because 65 and less is Mr. Safety, but over that is the devil!

LOL!

You're probably the slow birds blocking the flow of traffic...
No, I just maintain that in the right lane and have plenty of power to pass quickly if needed. That is a comfortable speed for me. Maybe because I investigated too many accidents? Maybe because too many mechanical things can go wrong or because I've seen too many idiots behind a wheel.
Those that splatter vehicle and body parts all over the highway block the flow a lot more than I ever could.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darugs View Post
x2. Lived in NC for 40 years and I have never seen a different speed posted for towing. Just asked a friend who was a state trooper and he confirmed that there is not a separate trailer speed.
Your friend is fired. 7th article down. Happy motoring.
North Carolina Trailer Laws & Regulations Look-Up - Trailers.com - Shop Cargo, Utility, Equipment, & Enclosed Trailers
55 unless other wise posted so it may not be posted but it is 55
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
North Carolina Trailer Laws & Regulations Look-Up - Trailers.com - Shop Cargo, Utility, Equipment, & Enclosed Trailers
That would include semis pulling a trailer
Old 09-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #30

Just like Cali Captn.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #31

I too live in California and normally would tow around 63-65mph. Then we took a trip to Yellowstone up I15 where it's posted 80mph, no trailer limit. I thought I was "cooking" at 70mph, until I kept getting passed by the triple trailer FED EX trucks doing 85mph. Most semi's on that stretch do 80+mph, I was SLOW at 70mph and actually felt unsafe doing "only" 70mph as truck after truck kept flying by, pushing me over. I sped up to 75mph just to reduce the number of semis passing me. Trailer tires rated for 75mph, never thought I would tow that fast to feel safer. Welcome to the open highway my wife said, of which there are none in California like that!
Old 09-19-2016, 09:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by modem9 View Post
Living in Calif. I agree that almost no one pulls a trailer at 55. I usually pull at 60-62 as that is what my current tires are rated at plus it feels safer. However, I am often passed by other RV's. For us we are not in a big hurry to get anywhere and want to be sure we are driving at a safe speed for the 5th as well as the tires. When these tires go I will upgrade to one that are rated for 70-80 however.
I'm a Californian too and these are my thoughts exactly. Also, I've had 6 travel trailers since 1988 and have never caused an accident or a traffic jam towing at those speeds.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #33

Quote:
So if the sign says 45 MPH, guess what the speed is for cars and or vehicles with trailers? On the interstates it says 65 MPH - guess what speed cars and trailers can go? As stated earlier by another, speed for everybody is 35 within city limits and 55 outside of city limits unless otherwise posted. There are not any signs that differentiate the speed limit for cars or vehicles with trailers. There are a signs with car vs. truck like in the mountains.
Darugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I guess I am a freak. I just don't want to run that fast. 60-65 is plenty fast for me. If I am in that big of a hurry... someone is bleeding and I need to get an ambulance or drop the TT/5er.
No your not a freak........just displaying common sense😊 I'm with you. Anything over 60mph seems too fast for safety and burns too much fuel!
And besides I spent an entire career travelling on someone else schedule, now it's on mine!👍😃
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:04 AM   #35

Quote:

60 is s l o w ...

X2. But if you have a good TV put yourself on cruise control or you'll find yourself passing everything. Our truck doesn't know that's it towing a forty foot fiver and I really really use my cruise control.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
X2. But if you have a good TV put yourself on cruise control or you'll find yourself passing everything. Our truck doesn't know that's it towing a forty foot fiver and I really really use my cruise control.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
X3, the speed police has gotten on my case because I like to two at speeds between 70-75mph. Yes, I often get passed by semi's at this speed range. When I'm not towing, I'm usually flowing with the traffic at 85mph. Our speed limit is 75mph on most spots on the interstate.

I tried the 65mph thing here and all it did was piss off a lot of folks in back of me resulting in more aggressive drivers.

I keep a lot of distance between me and other vehicles and because of that I don't use cruie control because lots of folks get ahead of me to occupy that safe distance zone I keep.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #37

Quote:
I already quoted the law from the NCDOT website earlier. There is not separate speed limit for RV's or people towing trailers. The statewide non-municipality speed limit is 55 unless otherwise posted. In municipalities the statewide limit is 35 mph unless otherwise posted. Most interstates in NC are posted 65 or 70 mph for all vehicles. There is an exception for companies that transport manufactured housing but they have a slew of other restrictions too due to being considered oversized loads.

You can also read the law at the NHTSA Summary of Speed Laws which I consider much more reliable than some private third party website.

www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nti/pdf/811457.pdf
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I like to tow at speeds between 70-75mph.

Our speed limit is 75mph on most spots on the interstate. Where is "our"? What speed do you tow where the speed limit is lower than 75?

I keep a lot of distance between me and other vehicles. Obviously.
What are you towing?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #39

Disclaimer....I've only done a few trips.

In the beginning my setup wasn't great, so I hung around just north of 60. Semis and everyone else passing me. A little uncomfortable. Not from a competitive standpoint or anything. Just constant turbulence of passing trucks. Plus, the right lane typically has rougher pavement. Not good on POS trailer tires. Fast forward a few trips and better setup. 65-68. Still being passed. Fivers, toy haulers, boats, semis. The list go's on. I knew after that, no one from this forum was on the same roads I traveled.

Next tow, 70 seemed to work pretty well. Still some passing, but I actually had a choice of lanes and more control over my placement in traffic.

Everyone's comfort level is different. This worked for me. Create space around you, identify potential threats, and always be thinking of your plan of action if things go south.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
What are you towing?
A 30 foot 5TH wheel.

I live in Colorado where maintaining safe distances between vehicles on the interstate is not obvious as evidenced by the many multi-vehicle accidents that occur.

I usually don't exceed the speed limit when towing and I'm usually the slowpoke headed West (downhill) on I-70 after passing thru the Ike tunnel. Last trip thru there saw two trucks on the runaway truck ramps and another truck pulled on the side of the highway with smoke pouring out of his brakes.

Not sure what the big deal is towing at 70 to 75mph. Semi's go faster if traffic conditions allow it. I think most slow towers are oblivious to the traffic that they cause in back of them.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote