Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #1

Steep driveway issues

Hi. Very new to this site, but I had a question about acquiring a travel trailer with our crazy steep driveway. We have not purchased a trailer yet, but did just recently rent one. Which is now had us falling in love with the camper lifestyle and on our way to researching and hopefully purchasing our own very soon. However, our driveway is so steep at the beginning, that gettinv it up to our property (or down) is going to be an issue. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can not drag so badly coming in and out of our property with a lengthy trailer?
ramcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Can you get a paving company to lessen the angle by filling in the gap?

Maybe you can approach at a steeper angle?

If not......you need a shorter trailer, or you need to move, unless you want to load your trailer at the road, and store it off site.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #3

Stabilizer Dragging

We had much of the same problem with the stabilizer on the front driver's side dragging as we backed into our driveway. Otherwise, everything cleared.

I had a paving company come out to look at building up the asphalt driveway to prevent the drag. I was told it would be VERY expensive to do what it would take to solve the problem.

I only needed about two inches of clearance so I took the front stabilizer off. When I get to the campground, I reattach it using two pins the same size of the bolts that I removed. When I start home, I take the stabilizer off so I can back down the driveway. Once I get it parked under the shelter, I put the stabilizer back on.

It is a hassle, but it only takes a few minutes and saved me a ton of money.

I don't know if that would help in your situation, but it solved my problem.
Dwill3332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #4

Some previous posters with similar problem have suggested using 2X8 or 2X10 lumber placed at the driveway/curb entrance... maybe also a piece of thick plywood... you have to engineer what might work for your situation...
ALSO, some suggested a lower slung temporary ball hitch for your truck that will raise the rear an inch or more, then hitching up in the road when you are out of the driveway.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #5

Would drag rollers help?
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Drag+Rollers
Old 09-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #6
Mopar Guy

also of note some trailers are significantly lower than others. And there are ways to lift a trailer for added clearance, although it does raise the center of gravity.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #7

I had this issue until recently when we sold the house and moved. I had a steep driveway running uphill to the house. We lived in a cul-de-sac and the grade leading to the driveway had a significant drop from the center of the road to the driveway. I built ramps from 2x4s and backed the truck over the low spot using them. I kept the WDH on until I had the trailer where I wanted it. Then chocked the wheels and jacked the trailer up just a little before un hitching. Once I had the trailer clear of the truck I drove off the ramps. It was always a little nerve wracking but it always worked.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:18 AM   #8

I had a small but significant similar problem where my driveway sloped down and dipped before going up on the pronounced crown of the highway. I could pull in with the WDH spring bars installed but going out I drove down the road before installing them to lessen the rear drag pulling out.
My TT is 21’ coupler to rear bumper. I have a factory rear rack I could not effectively use from home because of the above.
I do have a gravel drive and had it graded a little a couple years ago. They wouldn’t grade it as much as I wanted due to water line concerns. Less dragging concerns but enough not to engage the WDH prior to departing. Definitely not rack useable yet.
This year I had the axle underslung. Sometimes called flipping. The axle remains in the same orientation but goes from above the springs to below the springs. Gained 5.5” clearance. Now no clearance worries and I can use my rear rack, especially since it was made with the spare tire mounted to it and underneath when deployed. Last week I finally moved the spare and cut off the tire bracket.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #9

Whatever issues you may have, is going to depend on what type of trailer, length of trailer, height from ground. Until you have all that info, it's all just speculation at this time.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #10

If possible enter the driveway from an angle to lessen the hang distance over the road. Do the same when exiting driveway. Mine is steep at the beginning and I have done this with 2 trailers and now a motorhome. Comes pretty close to the road/driveway, the angle helps. I previously had to drive through the yard a little but added a curve to the entrance to do this.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote