Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #1

Steering wheel off center after turns

I recently started using a Husky Centerline TS 400-600 lbs hitch with my 19' travel trailer which is roughly 3,800 lbs fully loaded. I'm towing with an Acura MDX that weighs roughly 5,300 lbs fully loaded. I've towed about 400 miles with it.

I've noticed a problem while towing, where after making a turn, the steering wheel will be turned off center by as much as about 15 degrees. The steering wheel will be off center in either direction depending on which way I recently turned. When not towing, or towing without the spring bars attached, the steering wheel is perfectly centered.

I think the problem is with the extreme rigidity of one of the trunnions. With the spring bars attached (not actually hitched), I can swing one bar/trunnion with a reasonable amount of force. The other trunnion takes my entire body weight and aggressive, hard jerking to swing it out. I suspect that the spring bars aren't returning to center after making a turn, which is causing the trailer and TV to be slightly out of alignment with each other, which then causes the steering to be affected. Does this seem plausible? Should it take that much force to swing out a spring bar?

Additionally, as the hitch has seen more use, the paint has worn from the spring bar support lifts, and it makes me wonder if the spring bars could be sticking or catching on the support lifts.

If you any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.
Looick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
Sham183

Sounds like you might need to start over with your set up. Not saying to take it all apart but read and measure everything and make sure you are not off on one side or the other. Make sure you have nothing bent or broke on the hitch, TT or your TV. I know it seems silly to do things over but the smallest thing could be off and cause huge issues. Did something possibly come loose? Maybe not to the point where you can see it but loose when you hook up and start traveling. You should not have to fight with one bar and not the other. Hope this helps. If all else fails call husky.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #3

Unfortunately, this isn't a setup problem. While I don't see anything broken, it could be possible that the ears above and below the trunnions are bent enough where it's causing the trunnions not to move.

Husky support and the manual say the trunnion bolts should be tightened to 150 ft lbs. At 150 ft lbs, mine are completely immovable. I loosened the bolts holding the trunnions all the way and confirmed that they do move freely.

After torquing them back to 150 ft lbs, I started loosening them in 10 ft lb increments. At 100, I could just barely move them, and was rocking the vehicle in the process. Finally at 70 for one and 40 for the other, they moved equally, but still with a high degree of effort. Much more than what's shown in this eTrailer video. https://youtu.be/S0zjOUuGl2Q?t=6m6s

I understand that the trunnions are meant to be tight in order to provide sway control, but if they're this tight, I can also see them not allowing the trailer to return to center with the vehicle.

After only having this hitch for a month, I'm pretty frustrated with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2165.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	175235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2164.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	175236  
Old 06-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #4

Add grease to the head where the friction blocks are for each wdh bar. There is too much friction between the blocks and the head and the trailer and vehicle is held in an 'almost' straight line which throws off your steering. I have had it happen several times with an Xterra and an F150.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looick View Post
Unfortunately, this isn't a setup problem. While I don't see anything broken, it could be possible that the ears above and below the trunnions are bent enough where it's causing the trunnions not to move.

Husky support and the manual say the trunnion bolts should be tightened to 150 ft lbs. At 150 ft lbs, mine are completely immovable. I loosened the bolts holding the trunnions all the way and confirmed that they do move freely.

After torquing them back to 150 ft lbs, I started loosening them in 10 ft lb increments. At 100, I could just barely move them, and was rocking the vehicle in the process. Finally at 70 for one and 40 for the other, they moved equally, but still with a high degree of effort. Much more than what's shown in this eTrailer video. https://youtu.be/S0zjOUuGl2Q?t=6m6s

I understand that the trunnions are meant to be tight in order to provide sway control, but if they're this tight, I can also see them not allowing the trailer to return to center with the vehicle.

After only having this hitch for a month, I'm pretty frustrated with it.
150 ft lbs?! Is that correct? My equalizer is very similar and specifies 45-65 ft lbs.
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think you need to check instructions again. The bars should be able to move somewhat freely. On a lot of these types of hitches the bars are merely pinned in.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #7

I am not familiar with that hitch but I do know that a sway bar that is too tight will do the same thing. It doesn't seem like it takes much resistance to cause the vehicles to not straighten back up after a turn.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #8

I echo the comment of adding grease. I was having the same issue plus loud noise with my equalizer hitch. Once I greased it with Equalizer grease it now returns to center and is quiet
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #9

Here's what Huksy support said in an email before I checked the torque numbers. I've sent them back a response with my torque findings to see what they say. They explicitly said not to grease. In my opinion, once the powder coat wore off the trunnions and the friction surfaces and it became bare metal on metal, that's when the problem got worse.

Quote:
In regards to the trunnions being very tight, they are meant to be difficult since the sway control comes from the trunnions. If they have become more difficult over time, it could be because of buildup on the trunnions and the trunnion bolts.

I would recommend to remove the bolts that go through the trunnions, and re-grease them with a bearing/axle grease. Make sure that you are greasing the bolts only. The trunnions should never have grease applied to them.

While you have the bolts out, remove the trunnions and clean them of any buildup that may have collected. Be sure to check the top and bottom plates for buildup as well. Reinstall the trunnions and bolts, re-torque to 150 ft. lbs.
And this is from the manual.

Quote:
At The Beginning of Every Towing Day:
  • The 3/4” trunnion hex bolts come lubricated from the factory re-lubricate if needed with bearing/axle grease. Do not apply lubrication to the friction surfaces of the top and bottom plates or on the top or bottom trunnion surfaces as this will reduce the built in friction sway feature.

After 500 miles:
  • Check the tightness of the 3/4” trunnion hex bolts with a torque wrench. The torque is 150 ft. lbs.
I like the idea of greasing it a little, but both places say not to. Either way, I think 150 ft lbs is too much.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
Sham183

Steering wheel off center after turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looick View Post

I like the idea of greasing it a little, but both places say not to. Either way, I think 150 ft lbs is too much.

I’m not sure why you would put grease where they say not to. It’s friction based like brakes on your vehicle. You wouldn’t put grease on your Brakes because they squeak why put it on the contact points of the Bars? Not a wise idea IMO.

The other thing I have a question for is why question the torque numbers? The manufacturer has spent countless hours researching and developing something that is supposed to make towing safe and stress free as possible. I know you are having issues but I would try what the manufacturer says first before you start to alter things that could make a situation worse for you. I get the frustration but think of the forces you are dealing with before altering things. I’m not saying you are wrong for trying some things but I guess I would do the recommendations before hand and see what happens. Be safe and happy camping. Good luck

Tim.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:11 AM   #11

I’m wondering if this problem was ever solved. I’ve got the same issue and have gone over my setup too many times to mention. I’ve even changed tow vehicles along the way. Also have talked to Husky a few times.

Steering wheel is rarely straight when towing. Depending on previous maneuvers, it can be off a little or a lot, but almost always turned to the left. At a loss.

Thanks,
Jim
NewGuy812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy812 View Post
I’m wondering if this problem was ever solved. I’ve got the same issue and have gone over my setup too many times to mention. I’ve even changed tow vehicles along the way. Also have talked to Husky a few times.

Steering wheel is rarely straight when towing. Depending on previous maneuvers, it can be off a little or a lot, but almost always turned to the left. At a loss.

Thanks,
Jim
When I had the issue on both the husky and the equalizer, I loosened the friction points, added grease, and had to grease the bar friction surfaces. I then eventually added the plastic sleeves to reduce friction and make them not stick. I had over 1500lbs of tongue weight so those bars were working hard. I needed several things to stop the excessive friction from causing the bars to stick. The sticking caused the truck and trailer to stay at whatever angle they got stuck in and caused me to drive at weird steering positions. Not good for the tires or suspension. Eventually after all this hassle we went to a large dually and didn't even need a WDH. Best move ever.
ChibullsAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibullsAN View Post
When I had the issue, I loosened the friction points. I also needed to grease up the friction brackets, but then eventually added the plastic sleeves to reduce friction and make them not stick. I had over 1500lbs of tongue weight so those bars were working hard. I needed several things to stop the excessive friction from causing the bars to stick. The sticking caused the truck and trailer to stay at whatever angle they got stuck in and caused me to drive at weird steering positions. Not good for the tires or suspension. Eventually after all this hassle we went to a large dually and didn't even need a WDH. Best move ever.
I guess I’m reluctant to grease areas that the manufacturer says are not supposed to be greased, but the sticking issue is maddening. My tongue weight is 1250-1300, and I have the 1400 pound bars. I was greasing the L brackets at one point, as Husky said it was ok to do. Maybe I need to try that again.
NewGuy812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel