Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 12:20 PM   #1

Surveyor 240BHLE and 1500 Sierra Crew Cab

I put a deposit down on a Surveyor 240BHLE yesterday. I did plenty of research ahead of time, but now I feel like I should post to the forum to get advice from people who have actually towed similar units. I suppose this is like final confirmation before taking delivery in a few weeks.

I have a 2018 GMC Sierra, 3.42 axle ratio and 7200 GVWR, with payload of 1496lbs. Towing capacity per the manual is 10,700lb.

The Surveyor 240BHLE is 5137lb unloaded and 2380lb CC (according to the website). The hitch weight of 517 is exactly 10%, but likely due to the pass-through storage and expectation people will put stuff on there as well as the propane, battery, etc.

I've towed a 3000lb popup with the truck and I don't even notice it. I know that's apples to oranges of course.

I'm planning on using a Fastway e2 Weight Distribution w/ 2-Point Sway Control - Round - 10,000 lbs GTW, 1,000 lbs TW.

I'll have 2 adults and 3 small children - about 700lbs of passenger weight.

Assuming we don't load the trailer to the max, it seems like I'll right around my payload.

We live in Ohio, relatively flat. We won't be towing through the mountains, mostly flat. There may be an occasional long trip, but mostly a few hours away.

Thanks for any input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gvwr.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	231203   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire info.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	231204   Click image for larger version

Name:	manuakl.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	231205  
joebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #2

In reality, you're going to go over your payload.
If you have 700lbs in passenger weight, that leaves less than 800# for tongue weight, and anything else in the bed of the truck.

That being said, your truck will more than likely be able to handle being over on payload, as long as you're not putting cords of wood in the bed, and loading as much as you can over the trailer axles. The first thing I would do is ditch your P rated tires for a stiffer tire. That's probably where you'll notice the most sag, especially with a WDH setup correctly. Once you upgrade your tires to truck tires, then you'll probably be fine.

I wouldn't hesitate to tow with your setup as you describe it, but I've got a lot of towing experience with many different vehicle types / lengths / weights.

Have fun, and enjoy your new rig.
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPWeasel View Post
In reality, you're going to go over your payload.
If you have 700lbs in passenger weight, that leaves less than 800# for tongue weight, and anything else in the bed of the truck.

That being said, your truck will more than likely be able to handle being over on payload, as long as you're not putting cords of wood in the bed, and loading as much as you can over the trailer axles. The first thing I would do is ditch your P rated tires for a stiffer tire. That's probably where you'll notice the most sag, especially with a WDH setup correctly. Once you upgrade your tires to truck tires, then you'll probably be fine.

I wouldn't hesitate to tow with your setup as you describe it, but I've got a lot of towing experience with many different vehicle types / lengths / weights.

Have fun, and enjoy your new rig.

Thanks GXPWeasel. I was also thinking about tires. I'm a novice when it comes to tires. It looks like I have E13 tires, 111S. I am more than happy to upgrade to stiffer tires. I did a quick google of LT tires p275/55r20 and found some that to be load index of 115 vs 111, which looks to give about 11% more weight rating and presumably less sag.

I was also thinking that I'll be probably over payload, but was hoping that the WDH would shift a little back to the trailer axle. This link helped get me there in my initial research: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ats-11523.html ... At least to offset the weight of the WDH and maybe ~ 50lbs more.

Agree on putting almost nothing in the bed of the truck. I am thinking of upgrading to a 3/4 truck in a few years when the kids get bigger. I've only had this one for 18 months, so I'm hoping for a few more years to even out the depreciation.

Really glad some feedback that we'll probably be OK from someone who has towed extensively.
joebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #4

Hello Joe, we are thinking of purchasing the very same trailer and also have a half ton truck, so this was informative.

How much did you pay for the trailer? A local dealer asked $27k and I’m hoping to be under $25k including a couple of goodies.
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor, sierra, 500