Old 07-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #1

Surveyor 33KRLOK Tongue Weight

My wife and I are looking at the Surveyor 33KRLOK for potential purchase.

Can anyone respond and let us know what their tongue/hitch weight is after loading the trailer and what the loaded weight of the trailer is?

According to the Forest River specs the dry weight of a 33KRLOK is 7614 pounds and the 'hitch weight' is 765 pounds ... although I have been told that this is a 'recommended hitch weight' required by the DOT so I am not sure what it is telling me. This ratio of 7614 pounds dry weight to 765 pounds is 10.05% ... but again I am not sure what that might be telling me.

According to Forest River, GVWR of 9965 minus 8800 (4400 GAWR of front axle and 4400 GAWR of rear axle) is 765 pounds. Still don't know what that might be telling me.

To estimate tongue/hitch weight, I have been told to take the estimated loaded weight (7983 pounds dry weight of 33KRLOK with all the optional features included) + 500 to 800 pounds of cargo which is 8433 to 8733 and to project 12% of this as tongue weight which would be 1012 to 1053. (note: we do not intend to tow with water in the tanks so I did not use 12% of 9565 GVWR which I assume we would not get to with tanks empty).

I think I may need to add approx 130 pounds for batteries unless this weight should be considered part of cargo weights above ... but I would think most of the battery weight will be tongue weight not just 12 percent due to its location near the tongue.

Also, a WD (weight distributing) hitch is planned which is estimated to transfer approx 10 percent of the 1012 to 1053 pounds of tongue weight to the trailer axles ... which would bring these numbers down to 910 and 947 ... but then I think I need to consider the weight of the hitch ... which could add 100 pounds to tongue weight (195 pounds if we go with a ProPride) which would result in 1060 to 1097 (assuming the ProPride).

If I also need to add the batteries at 130 pounds and 90% of that weight as tongue weight would result in 1129 to 1214.

I believe I need to keep the tongue weight to 1220 pounds or less to meet tow vehicle hitch specs when using a WD hitch ... and to be in tolerance for overall truck payload capacity.

While these estimates indicate I 'should' be within tolerance, we can't afford to buy the wrong trailer and truck and find out later.

While estimating has some value, before we actually buy anything we would really like to hear from some owners of these trailers to hear what they experienced in the real world with a Surveyor 33KRLOK. Valuable information would be:
- dry weight before adding cargo (which should be on a sticker on the trailer)
- tongue/hitch weight before adding cargo (if known)
- weight of trailer after adding cargo
- tongue/hitch weight of loaded trailer after adding cargo

Any other comments or suggestions are welcome as well!!

Thanks!!!!
Old 07-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #2

Dry weights are pure rubbish, for both truck and trailer. If you have a family you can almost guarantee you will lose 600-700 lbs of payload from the door sticker. Another 100 for hitch. Can also assume be add 1000-1200 over dry weight of trailer.

You won't really know until you hit the scales as everyone loads and packs different
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:40 PM   #3

Sounds to me like you have a pretty good handle on things already. Hope your tow vehicle is up to the challenge. That is a heavy trailer.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor, tongue weight, weight