Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #1

Surveyor SV264 & F350 Diesel

What do I need to hitch this up safely? And at what cost?
Moving up from a 17 ft travel trailer with a friction sway bar.
NJLOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

As you don't need W/D, you could use two friction anti sway bars...I think there less than $100 each. The camper is 29' long so you'll need something.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

As Dave stated, if your hitch is rated for the tongue weight, you may not need a WDH, but it would greatly improve the handling of your combo.

if you can keep the tongue weight to around a 800 lb. , my best guestimate would that the trailer tongue hanging out several feet from the rear axle is gonna take ~400 lbs. off of the front axle, and put an extra 1200 lbs. on the rear axle. Big hairy deal.....your back axle is made to take that. But, the weight shift off of the front, and extra weight on the back axle will make a difference in handling, as well as making the F350 appear to sag in the back. You want to keep close to the original weight distribution that the truck was set up with, to keep braking and steering at the close to what the manufacturer intended.

If not using a WDH, check the hitch to make sure it can handle the tongue weight. There should be a sticker with some tow rating and tongue weight figures on the hitch somewhere.....a weight carrying maximum and a weight distributing maximum. If no weight distributing system is going to be used, then you probably need a 900 lb. tongue weight maximum in the weight carrying category to be safe.......that trailer could exceed 800 lb. tongue weight.

If 2 friction sway bars are being considered, then consider spending an extra $400 or so and get a WDH with integrated sway control, such as the Equal-i-zer 4 pt, Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, or Blue Ox Sway Pro.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #4

I would use a WD hitch with builtin sway control .... Sure technically you do not need a WD, but why take a risk with braking/steering ? it is cheap insurance if you ask me.

And congratulations on the SV264 ! it is an awesome floor plan !
Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
DDC

I use a Hensley Hitch, it's better to have no sway than try to control the sway.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
As Dave stated, if your hitch is rated for the tongue weight, you may not need a WDH, but it would greatly improve the handling of your combo.

if you can keep the tongue weight to around a 800 lb. , my best guestimate would that the trailer tongue hanging out several feet from the rear axle is gonna take ~400 lbs. off of the front axle, and put an extra 1200 lbs. on the rear axle. Big hairy deal.....your back axle is made to take that. But, the weight shift off of the front, and extra weight on the back axle will make a difference in handling, as well as making the F350 appear to sag in the back. You want to keep close to the original weight distribution that the truck was set up with, to keep braking and steering at the close to what the manufacturer intended.

If not using a WDH, check the hitch to make sure it can handle the tongue weight. There should be a sticker with some tow rating and tongue weight figures on the hitch somewhere.....a weight carrying maximum and a weight distributing maximum. If no weight distributing system is going to be used, then you probably need a 900 lb. tongue weight maximum in the weight carrying category to be safe.......that trailer could exceed 800 lb. tongue weight.

If 2 friction sway bars are being considered, then consider spending an extra $400 or so and get a WDH with integrated sway control, such as the Equal-i-zer 4 pt, Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, or Blue Ox Sway Pro.
I heartily agree.

First point, the friction bars will impede your trailer during tight maneuvers. It is a real PITA to get out everytime you in a tight gas station, trying to park at your storage area, and also when you actually get to the campground to remove the friction bar. I greatly prefer the integrated sway control systems.

Second point, if you purchase two friction bars, you are half way to the Equalizer or another system (well maybe less than 1/2 way to the Reece Strait Line) and will most likely be unhappy with what you have.

I suggest taking a look at the Equalizer or Reece SC. Or you may the perfect candidate for the Anderson system since you probably need less weight distribution but would enjoy the sway control.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #7

talking to sales guy today and they want to install Equal-i-zer system at a cost of 700 and change installed. sounds like alot to me but I'm new to all of this.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #8

that is high.

10K Equalizer Adj Hitch - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts and Accessories

Old 02-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #9

here is a link to the dual cam:
Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66083

and the SC series:
Reese SC Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66153

Old 02-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #10

Thanks for all the great help. Guess I can question the dealer about the hitch but don't know where I will get with that.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Campaholic

I just bought (last week) a 2010 Salem 23fbl and an equalizer hitch and as it turns out was looking at a Surveyor sv 264 but it was sold out from underneath me by a private party.

NJLOAD, your hitch weight is about 500lbs depending on the exact year. I just bought a 600lb Equalizer hitch (model 90-00-0600) for $560 dollars from the dealer, installed, setup, and hooked up to my trailer. They wanted $800 for it and I told them they were going to have to do better than that hence the $560.00. I already took a 3 day trip in my TT and am pulling it with a 2001 Tahoe 5.3L 4x4 tow package and that hitch handled that whole setup like a boss. Money WELL spent. My advice to you would be to spare no expense for safety and piece of mind. There is nothing worse than white knuckling it while you are on "vacation."

A big reason I got this hitch is because any monkey (read me) can hook it up and adjust it and this hitch is designed so that you can back up with it even at tight angles. (Been there, done that already.)

This hitch is made in the USA and goes for $553 on Amazon if you want to install it yourself which is actually very easy.

This is my first TT, first sway control hitch, (not first time towing a trailer) and was my first trip and that hitch made my trip worry free and unbelievably easy. Made me wanna go camping everyday.

Do it. You will not regret it. But if you do you can blame it on me.

Congrats on the trailer that is a sweet one. The trailer I got is the same idea as the 264 but no slide and steel frame.
BLACKMONGOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote