Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #41

[QUOTE=DDC;845250]I towed a 28ft Sunnybrook with both a Trail Blazer and a Rainier (chev/Buick) I can't remember the weight off hand but it was not light, I towed with a Hensley and had no problem other than fuel consumption was terrible, that 6cyl had lots of power but GM only put a 70 ltr (18 US Gal) I assume reading this thread that the Hensley would be an answer to the OP if he can't get his WDH adjusted to work for him.[/QUOTE. DDC is right. Better hitch if you want to pull with an suv. Not a must but safer. Henley hitch.
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

If you have P rated tires on the tow vehicle, it will float regardless of the hitch you use. You need LT tires.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If you have P rated tires on the tow vehicle, it will float regardless of the hitch you use. You need LT tires.

Are saying it will float with P rated tires on that tow vehicle specifically, or on all tow vehicles? I have P tires on my Tundra... It did "roll" a little at first, until I increased my tire pressure to the max PSI. Since doing so, nothing but a solid tow... No rolling or floating. Before doing this I was determined to get LT's when I needed new, now I think I'll stick with the P.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
Are saying it will float with P rated tires on that tow vehicle specifically, or on all tow vehicles? I have P tires on my Tundra... It did "roll" a little at first, until I increased my tire pressure to the max PSI. Since doing so, nothing but a solid tow... No rolling or floating. Before doing this I was determined to get LT's when I needed new, now I think I'll stick with the P.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Yes all TVs. My Suburban had P tires until recently and they needed to be at 40-45psi not the 30psi rated for them on the door, to tow my 5200lb trailer with a little comfort. Still felt like towing on balloons though.

I just got Michelin LT tires recently based on posts in this forum. At 45 psi (which provides a similar load rating as 30psi in P tires) it is amazing the difference in stability and steering. Much better tires too that have stiffer side walls and Load Range E rating (at 80psi).

Trailer tires should always be inflated to the max on the sidewall before driving. The load ratings and inflation number tables are for vehicle tires.

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #45

I do appreciate your comments D-B Travelers I have visited where we bought the RV and other dealers. They have suggested the same things that people here suggested. Each time it was a waste of our money. I have found that most of the RV places "professionals" have little or no knowledge of any kind of towing experience. This is our experience.. I wish there was room to list everything that was an issue with our trailer and everyone we have taken this trailer to. No one has been able to give us the proper answer to why this swaying was happening.. I have come to the conclusion by the process of elimination and working from the front of the truck back to where the axles are on the trailer, that is the only possible answer. I and convinced that it is the axles, either the torsion independent suspension or just plain bad system for our trailer.. The new tire that was put on less than 4,000 miles ago is showing serious wear and that is the new axle. The other tires are nearly worn out with approx. 8,000 miles on them..
I believe that the only person that actually knew what he was doing was the man that set up our hitch. He is the only one that explained why and what he was doing. He seemed very knowledgeable. He actually been educated at a school and had life experience to go along with it.
Basically this trailer has been a "LEMON".. Never in my life have I ever had any problems towing or for that matter as many issues as this trailer has had. It happens, I know.. The first two years we had our trailer it was in the shop for 14 months!!!! Just fed up..
LSwesey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing