Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #1

SV264 R Kitchen, Is it more prone to sway?

I am negotiating on a new Surveyor SV 264 which is a rear kitchen layout. I am excited about many aspects of it - except the weight distribution. Dry weight, with options, is about 4,783 Ibs, so I am working on the assumption at this point that an SV264 loaded for a trip south with propane, two batteries and our "stuff" will weigh in the neighborhood of about 6500lbs max, and I expect a TW in the range of 600-750lbs (WD hitch). My TV is a 2010 2WD f150 SC with tow package, 145" wb, 5.4L, 3.55 LS and 6sp auto and, unfortunately stock p235 tires.

My concern is the dreaded sway phenomenon. Because we travel about 10,000 to 15,000 kms every winter, I am a little apprehensive about sway issues. I have heard a lot about it but never experienced it. It seems to me that a rear Kitchen layout, which concentrates weight (packed fridge, food, dishes, pans, and stove) at the far rear extremity of the trailer would exacerbate any sway tendencies inherent in the rig, sort of like a pendulum effect. This trailer has torsion suspension vice leaf springs so that is another area of unknown for me.

So, is there anyone out there with first hand experience with rear kitchen layouts and sway issues who would like to share their experiences?

This is my first post, so be easy on me.

JS
HONDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #2

A light hitch weight can cause sway issues. As long as you distribute your weight correctly it shouldn't be a problem. Recommended hitch weight for a tt is 10-15%, so a 6500 loaded tt should have a 650-975 hitch weight.

If you have a problem reaching that recommended hitch weight, check to see if your tanks are in the front. If so you can add water to help.

Not everyone agrees, but some of us believe length of tt versus tv wheelbase can effect sway as well.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Site Team

i would recommend a good WDH with built-in sway control, such as the two most popular: the Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual-Cam.

either should be able to handle this model.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #4

I just looked up the SV264 and at 28'6" and your wheelbase of 145" should be no problem with one of the hitches that bikendan recommended.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #5

Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual-Cam

X2

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses. I am still hoping to hear from someone with specific experience with a rear kitchen trailer. As for WD, the dealer is suggesting "E-Z Lift Head and Bars" for WD. I have never owned a WD system so again I seek counsel from those who may be familiar with this brand. In the meanwhile i am pretty excited about the 264, even though I have not yet seen one up close. The dealer I am negotiating with is 500km away. I know, I know... but i can't find one closer, its a long story.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #7

I can let you know after saturday. The one I'm picking up is a rear kitchen model and I will be towing it about 125 miles home.

A couple of differences though, my listed dry weight is just under 7100 lbs with a hitch weight of 953 lbs, approx 13.5%. Of course weighing the trailer would give more acurate weights. Secondly, I'll be towing it back empty.

So I'm not too sure if my experience will help you any. Hopefully someone on here who has experience towing a loaded rear kitchen model will help.

Good luck.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Towed our previous camper, a Rockwood 2605 rear kitchen layout, using a Equal-i-zer hitch. Didn't have any sway issues. As already mentioned, insufficient tongue weight is the biggest factor in sway...stay at the 10 - 15% hitch weight of total with a intergrated WD/sway control hitch and you're good to go.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know why you are fixated on the rear kitchen. It seems that somehow you have concluded that the distribution of the weight of the trailer is impacted by that layout. Look at the weight of the trailer. Look at the weight of the tongue. Are you thinking that most of the "add-on" weight will go to the rear? I would doubt it. All of your clothes etc will be in the front; your food in the back. Your F150 with a good WD/anti-sway setup should make for a great combination. I would be surprised if you exceed 6,000 pounds.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #10

My wife would agree with your choice of word "fixated" acadianbob, yea that can be me sometimes. The best way to explain the difference I foresee in the handling of a RK is that most of the other plans we are comparing it to are rear Bath. So, in the rearmost 4 feet or so of the rear bath model there is an empty shower stall and a plastic loo. Most of the heavyweight permanent Kitchen stuff is amidships, right over the axles where i like it. The rear kitchen, on the other hand, has the heavy kitchen appliances (I suspect a full fridge is the single heaviest item in the trailer) not to mention the hot water tank, also rearmost. And the rear kitchen has a lot of cupboards so i am sure mama will want to fill them with canned goods, maple syrup, dishes and pots, and probably some tetrapacks of australian wine. And why not? Thats what cupboards are for and why mum likes the kitchen layout functionally. But papa has to tow it. And i don't see much discretionary weight. Maybe I can relocate the wine.

So, I just know in my bones the RK WILL handle differently from the rear bath and possibly significantly. I am just trying to learn from others who have an RK to what extent, and whether it is a good trade off for someone like me who is fussy how things operate. I do plan to take a test drive, but once mama has seen it, it could be hard to back out.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Remember that the pass-through storage is at the front plus the storage under the queen bed...lots of storage at the front to more than compensate for the weight the rear kitchen may add. Again, load it so you have 10 - 15% hitch weight and the tow vehicle won't know what the floor plan is!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
ww2

I have the exact rig you are referring to... 09 SV264 09 F150 SC 5.4/3.55 rear end w/ factory brake controller.. It pulls well, I wish I could lock out 6th gear to keep the gear hunting to more of a minimum. A little more power would be nice too.

I have yet to have ANY issue with sway. I have the equalizer system and it seems to work very well. I pull about 10 times a year about 150 miles per trip. I get about 12 mpg pulling.

I dont believe I would pull thru the mountains with this rig simply because I like alot of headroom and dont like the high RPM stuff. The truck would probably do fine but I would rather have a 3/4 ton to tackle that kind of terrain....

I wouldnt think twice about getting the rear kitchen model. The weight of the lp tanks and underbed storage should balance it out... The low profile and torsion bars make for a good pulling rig.. I know because I have it.....
ww2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My answer is a mirror comment to several others here.....I don't think your trailer weight distribution is going to be a problem.

I have the sister ship to the SV 264.....the SV 263, so the size trailer is the same, but the floorplan is different.

1st off, adding a battery, propane and bottles added 80 lbs. to the tongue weight on my trailer over the listed tongue weight in the brochure. That is going to bring the actual tongue weight on the SV 264 up to about 550 lbs. over the listed weight. The pass through, front wardrobes, under bed storage, and the slide wardrobe are all in front of the wheels. If you notice on the SV 264, the rear of the trailer is a lot closer to the wheels than the front of the trailer. Equal weights put towards the front of the trailer are going to more that counter what you put in the rear of the trailer.

With my trailer, any additional 40 lbs. on the rear bumper takes off 15 lbs. from the tongue. That is the bumper, so 80 lbs. inside in the fridge and cabinets is not going to remove even 30 lbs. from the tongue weight. Add all of your camping stuff to the front pass through, clothes to the wardrobes, and stuff under the bed should more than counter anything in the kitchen.

The 6500 lbs. travel weight is a good worse case scenerio, but I betcha you won't be close to that. I am going down the road at about 5500 lbs., with about 1/4 tank of fresh water.

I also have the same wheel base and engine pickup that you have. The new 5.4 L engines have more HP and torque than my 2006, and the six speed tranny should make up some of the difference over my truck having the 3.73 final gears vs. yours with 3.55s. Even with the 3.55s over my 3.73s, your pickup is rated to pull 400 more lbs. than mine.

I don't think you are going to have any problems. Weight everything loaded for camping just to confirm what the weights are.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

HA! Good luck with your purchase decision. You will be fine regardless of what you choose. Our RKS is about the opposite of your concerns. Most of the added weight is on or in front of the axles resulting in increases in tongue weight. The 264 is a really nice trailer. I think that this is what we will go for if we get too old to climb into the rear slide bed! HA! Best of luck. LEt us know what you finally do.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #15

Great input, and very much appreciated. Hearing from owners of the same rig and TV is very reassuring. At this point it is a green light. I am putting in a firm offer today, subject to test drive and a good inspection (I have a long list of inspection items as a result of problems noted on these forums). We are heading to NC for the shakedown trip next week if all goes well. We will leave the trailer and come home 20 Dec for Xmas, and then return to pick up trailer and head to Az where we stay every year till April.

Wonderful to meet you all, and thanks for the quick responses!
Old 11-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #16

I have a 2011 sv264 and have no problems with sway. I have a WD hitch and a static sway control arm. I tow with a 2010 Nissan Titan.
aujmr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAD View Post
My wife would agree with your choice of word "fixated" acadianbob, yea that can be me sometimes. The best way to explain the difference I foresee in the handling of a RK is that most of the other plans we are comparing it to are rear Bath. So, in the rearmost 4 feet or so of the rear bath model there is an empty shower stall and a plastic loo. Most of the heavyweight permanent Kitchen stuff is amidships, right over the axles where i like it. The rear kitchen, on the other hand, has the heavy kitchen appliances (I suspect a full fridge is the single heaviest item in the trailer) not to mention the hot water tank, also rearmost. And the rear kitchen has a lot of cupboards so i am sure mama will want to fill them with canned goods, maple syrup, dishes and pots, and probably some tetrapacks of australian wine. And why not? Thats what cupboards are for and why mum likes the kitchen layout functionally. But papa has to tow it. And i don't see much discretionary weight. Maybe I can relocate the wine.

So, I just know in my bones the RK WILL handle differently from the rear bath and possibly significantly. I am just trying to learn from others who have an RK to what extent, and whether it is a good trade off for someone like me who is fussy how things operate. I do plan to take a test drive, but once mama has seen it, it could be hard to back out.
I can see your point about loading everything in the rear of the trailer. My biggest reason for not going with a rear kitchen would be the bouncing dishes etc. Maybe my thoughts are unjustified (I don't and never have owned a rear kitchen r.v.). I kinda thought of it like being in the back of a school bus... not the smoothest ride (that is getting to be a long time ago comparison)!

You are probably two steps ahead of most people, just mentioning that you are concerned about the possible loading issues tells me you are thinking ahead. I'm sure the trailer manufacturers must take loading into consideration also when they design such a layout.

The test tow sounds like a great idea, just leave the boss at home for the first one. Once you decide you can live with it take her for a spin. On a side note, open, close, sit, operate, convert and lay on everything you can in the trailer... you may decide things aren't exactly to your liking (i.e. too small of a bathroom).

happy camping,
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
bmg

We got an SV 264 early this summer. We really like the layout and the DW loves the big kitchen with all the extra counter space. We use the storage under the the dinette and under the cushions for the canned goods, coffee pot and anything that might break. Never had anything fall out of the kitchen cabinets. There's also storage in the hall across from the bath and under the bed. So with a little planning you can easily distribute the weight.

No sway problems at all with the Reese hitch and sway bar set up. We have a 4wd Yukon that pulls like a dream. We were all over the NC and Virginia mountains and never had a problem pulling up hill.

Buying one is the right decision in my book.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #19

Appreciate the encouragement, I pick up new SV 264 on Monday. i will take your advice and place water bottles and cans under the dinette seats. Will post my impressions.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #20

HONDAD, I have a 2005 SV-264 with the rear kitchen. Keep the pots, pans, out of the rear cabinets and into the side cabinets. They are flying weapons. We, keep little weight items up in the cabinets. We use premolded paper plates, plastic utensels, styrophone cups and etc which we throw away. We buy food only for a day or 2. Only carry clothes for about 5 days, and try to hold down the weight, and think about weight distribution. We just returned from a 2.5 week trip through 8 states with no problems and no sway problem. I tow with a 2005 silverado 4 dr. pickup, 5.3 with 3.21 axle ratio. Keep the weight down low and in the sides and you will have a great time !!!!! Jeff Carey
Jeff Carey is offline   Reply With Quote