Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Question Sway/Buffeting Question

I'm just curious which situation is more likely to affect your control of your TV/TT combination. Passing a tractor trailer, having a tractor trailer pass you or meeting a tractor trailer?

I haven't had much freeway towing time under my belt, mostly 2 lane roads w/ large truck traffic. I haven't noticed much movement when encountering any of the scenarios listed above. Mind you most of my trip to Indy this week will be on the 400, 401, I-75 & I-69.

Just checking the wheelbase chart & I would have to surmise that I have more TV than I need for the TT (133" to 21') that I've got.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

In my limited experience, the "bow wave" from an overtaking tractor trailer tends to push the camper away from the tractor initially, then it sucks the camper towards the tractor as it passes.

This is NOT sway. The camper tracks true behind the pickup as the TV stays under power. Its strictly aerodynamic forces pushing and pulling on the great big barn sides.

The camper immediately settles down when the tractor trailer finishes its pass.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #3

Most of the time when an 18 wheeler passes they drive slow when passing a trailer. That is most of the time. When this happens you need to relax and keep your eyes ahead and make sure you are in the center of the lane. If you feel comfortable you could give the truck a little wider lane and move to the right a little but not off the road.

Now if you pass a large truck you need to be aware that as soon as your front gets ahead of the truck you will feel a little push of the air coming around the front of the truck. I would not suggest to pass any 18 wheeler unless they are going up a big steep grade and have their 4 ways flashers on. That means they are going really slow and you need to pass. At a slow speed the truck will not have any gusts of air coming around them.

Hope this help you a little. If you have any other questions please ask.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't plan on doing a lot of lane hopping. There is a stretch of the 401 in western Ontario that there is a lot of truck traffic in the slow lane & you're more or less stuck in the middle lane whether you want to be there or not. Even when I'm not towing, I try to stay in the RH lane.

Trucks in Ontario are restricted to 105 klicks (65 mph). It makes for what I've seen referred to as "elephant racing" where 1 truck tries to pass another truck.

I've seen this first hand where the 401 is only 2 lanes in each direction. What happens is it takes several klicks for the pass to be completed & numerous vehicles are stuck behing the passing truck.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
MrT

I don't have a lot of larger TT towing experience either, but my initial observations (or pit of the stomach feelings!) from the last two outings seem to be that I feel the "push" from an overtaking semi when it is about half-way up on my TT.

I also seem to feel the air disturbance when the semi has passed, and is perhaps a couple of lengths ahead.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:32 AM   #6
Cunning Linguist

As mentioned above, its bow wave....first out, then in (TT moves to outside of lane, then inside ..towards the object).

Size, shape and difference in speed all affect it & there is no way to prevent it (especially if your on something smaller than a 3-lane road).

Best way to deal with it IMHO, is to be aware of it via your mirrors. After the first couple of times it happens to you, you learn to relax & just compensate for it when you see the large trucks coming up on you from behind.

However, getting "blindsided" by the bow wave that you didn't anticipate is still scary stuff ... so make it a habit to always check those mirrors while hauling
Acara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:38 AM   #7

When I see a large truck coming up from behind I hold the steering wheel tightly to help compensate for this. It is very important to always be aware of what is behind you.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

A truck passing your rig is the worst case and in Ontario as you suggested it is not bad as most trucks can't get any speed but out here on the praries it is not common to be passed by a rig that is traveling at 75 when I am doing 60 as I tend to keep my speed down when traveling with my BIL as he dosen't like driving over 50 with a trailer (heck he dosen't like driving over 50 at the best of times). Also there are also some real dick semi drivers that seem to get kicks from driving right up on the rear of an RV to try and shake them then pull out and pass I guess they get bored on the praries. Our old setup was quite bad for semi induced push but it is a non issue now that I have the Blue Ox dialed in. And I did find semi drivers in Ontario quite courteous but alot up north didn't seem to be running restricted engine computers, could be most were from out of province too.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Cunning Linguist

I don't know this as fact, but there seems to be something to how quickly the large vehicle overtakes you.

I see some of the more "courteous truckers" make an effort to give you a second to see them in your mirrors, then pass gradually, while hugging the outside edge of their lane......which seems to make a huge difference on how much I get shoved around (at least when it's an RV thats travelling in the right hand lane).

Not sure if it's a "technique", or just something they pick up from experience.
Acara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Did you go to the Superbike racing at Indy? Awesome show.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
The Old Man

Also dicey is when you are in a very windy area such as you find out in the plains of the Dakotas and are passed on a two-lane road by a semi coming from the OPPOSITE direction. One time the wind was so strong (probably 30-40mph) from the left that I had my steering heeled over almost 90 degrees just to go straight. Then a truck coming toward me would BLOCK the wind for about 1 sec. Scariest day of my life! Shoulda just pulled over but the wind never stops out there so it would have been a long wait...

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #12

I have to agree with all of the above. The bow wave from a passing truck will vary depending on the style of the tractor and of course the type of trailer it is pulling. Last trip we took on I-30 and I-40 I was like and dead tired at the end of the day untilI learned to just pay attention to what is coming up from behind and be prepared for the wave. You will adjust with experience. Note: I drive in my comfort zone which is between 55 to 60 when pulling the TT. I get passed a lot.
1957 Dodge D100, 315 Poly
Liberty Hill, TX
52Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Did you go to the Superbike racing at Indy? Awesome show.
No we don't leave until Wed' for the NHRA drags in Clermont (west of Indy).

Old 08-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #14

I don't have any experience towing TTs larger than 20 feet. They always seemed fine though. TVs were heavy which helps.

We must have an exceptionally well handling combination now. The last two have been large and larger fifth wheels and I can sit here and honestly say I can't recall feeling movement from a near by semi truck. I am sure it happens a to some degree so don't get me wrong, I just don't recall it ever startling me in any way.

I am usually the crazy bastard doing the passing anyways, safely.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I was reluctant to get a conventional travel trailer because of all of the horror stories I heard concerning cross winds and passing semis. I now know that I worried needlessly. I can feel the trucks passing, and make a slight adjustment for that. Sometimes a truck will sneak up on me (how does a 75 foot, 80,000 lb truck do that ??) and will catch me off-guard, but most of the time I am prepared. I head to the right a little to lessen the bow wave, and a slight steering wheel correction is all I need. I understand that even semis can feel another truck passing, so it is not unique to just campers.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #16

All of the above. I can feel when there is a semi or an rv behind me. The TT gets a little squirlley, it's not bad or startling. I just know it's there and get ready for it to pass. As stated before I move to the right but stay on the main road. I will not move onto the shoulder. I saw a TT move onto the shoulder some years ago and drop a wheel off the road. He ended up in the ditch with a totaled TT. Just be aware and you will be OK.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #17

Just came back from picking up our new Flagstaff 8528CKSS, first day out had a 30-40 mph crosswind on the left. We had no problem with our fifth, but I watched the trucks passing bumper-hitch campers in front of us, and every one swayed to a certain degree. The worst was one of those that is shorter in the front than the back, and it must have swung a good two feet as the trucks passed it, pushing over with the bow wave, swinging back as the truck passed, then getting pushed over again as the crooswind was reapplied. I sure wouldn't have wanted to be that guy.
I think the worst situation is on a two-lane, meeting semis pushing into a quartering head wind, as that creates a very strong bow wave coupled with the crosswind pushing on your own unit. Our old fifth handled that with ease, as it was a streamliner, but the new one will probably require a bit more attention. But again, far better to have a fifth than a bumper-hitch from what I have witnessed.
Oh, on that stretch where we had the crosswind, a few years ago I saw a big suv and a large bumper-hitch jacknifed right in the middle of the interstate, still on the highway, but mangled. I have no idea what the heck happened there.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I made it home last night from IN. The racing was good & the weather fine (a bit cool for the locals ).

The only problem was the wind. There was a bit Weds' in western Ontario, but yesterday it was VERY windy from south of Ft. Wayne all the way to Kitchener.

The truck traffic didn't bother me as much as the wind. We hit Toronto around 6 PM & the 401 & 400 wasn't bad.