Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak1 View Post
Not to disrespect what you just stated but, I believe its the other way around? I'm one who has had both the EQ and now have the Propride 3P 1400. I have done a lot of research on this forum and others pre and post of my personal decision to switch to a Propride hitch. I really do not remember anyone from the "Propride/Hensley camp" insisting all others were "wrong/foolish"?

In fact, most of those that get all worked up are on your side, and for no reason other than you are happy with what you have and how well it works for you. Of most of the pro Propride/Hensley folks that have submitted their personal experiences seem to be towing with 1/2 ton trucks (like me and my 2016 F 150) that I'm sure are pushing the limits of what they can safely handle .

Most have come to the Propride/ Hensley looking for a safer, better solution for handling what they own. If what we state is true and based on real world experience, why in the world are you so upset about this?

I also see that some of the folks perfectly happy with their Equalizer hitches have 3/4 ton (or higher) trucks, like yours. Of course there will be a difference in the towing experience! Doesn't make any more right or more wron than anyone else...
Just my 2 cents....

Me thinks you don't know what upset means. I couldn't care less about any of this. I just offered up my observation.

You seem a little emotional though. [emoji846]
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #22

I have wanted to speak up, but have not until now. Having the Hensley or ProPride does not guarantee safety. I fought sway for a long time with a 1\2T truck (>100 lbs.over payload) I looked at everything and adjusted everything I could. The only thing I did not do was upgrade to LT tires on the TV. I weighed everything I even added water to put the tongue weight to 15% from 12.5% without water. This was using a Blue Ox hitch. The TT would still sway, although less, still made me uncomfortable.

I found a incredible deal on a used Hensley. Things were so much better, could not believe the difference. Then that day came when I had to do a emergency braking. The TT just pushed the TV into a turn lane. Luckily there was nothing in that lane. No amount of steering input made a difference. I felt as though I was lucky enough to keep the TT inline to avoid jackknifing (yes JK can still happen with the hensley or PP). It seemed as though 100 different things happened in those few seconds. This really scared the crap out of me.

So, traded 1\2T for the F250 I have now. Bigger truck, now I can go back to the Blue Ox and sell the Hensley. Nope, it still sways a little more than I would like, and I know how well the Hensley stops the sway from even happening. Hensley is on to stay!

As a side bar I truly believe my sway issues come uneven weight side to side. Everything seems to be on the drivers side; 2 slides, kitchen, bath, the only outside storage, water heater, furnace and bed. Nothing I can move to help balance things. My drivers side front axle tire always looks low on air even they are all equal PSI.

Long story short, I feel as though using a Hensley or PP for a crutch offers a false sense of security, when used with a unmatched rig. Do I feel as though everyone should run out and get a Hensley? NO!

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
I have wanted to speak up, but have not until now. Having the Hensley or ProPride does not guarantee safety. I fought sway for a long time with a 1\2T truck (>100 lbs.over payload) I looked at everything and adjusted everything I could. The only thing I did not do was upgrade to LT tires on the TV. I weighed everything I even added water to put the tongue weight to 15% from 12.5% without water. This was using a Blue Ox hitch. The TT would still sway, although less, still made me uncomfortable.

I found a incredible deal on a used Hensley. Things were so much better, could not believe the difference. Then that day came when I had to do a emergency braking. The TT just pushed the TV into a turn lane. Luckily there was nothing in that lane. No amount of steering input made a difference. I felt as though I was lucky enough to keep the TT inline to avoid jackknifing (yes JK can still happen with the hensley or PP). It seemed as though 100 different things happened in those few seconds. This really scared the crap out of me.

So, traded 1\2T for the F250 I have now. Bigger truck, now I can go back to the Blue Ox and sell the Hensley. Nope, it still sways a little more than I would like, and I know how well the Hensley stops the sway from even happening. Hensley is on to stay!

As a side bar I truly believe my sway issues come uneven weight side to side. Everything seems to be on the drivers side; 2 slides, kitchen, bath, the only outside storage, water heater, furnace and bed. Nothing I can move to help balance things. My drivers side front axle tire always looks low on air even they are all equal PSI.

Long story short, I feel as though using a Hensley or PP for a crutch offers a false sense of security, when used with a unmatched rig. Do I feel as though everyone should run out and get a Hensley? NO!
Great points!
Does that all of us with 1/2 ton trucks should run out and buy a 3/4 ton truck that we do not want to drive every day?
No!
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 AM   #24
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Great points!
Does that all of us with 1/2 ton trucks should run out and buy a 3/4 ton truck that we do not want to drive every day?
No!
NO....just a $2600.00 hitch. Sorry. That is purely in jest and please hopefully no one will take offense! I really just thought it was funny, but I know I am strange.

Bottom line is we all should respect each other and not take all of this as a personal attack on our decisions. We all have quality, safe hitches and our rigs are set up to operate safely.

Lets just share information and go camping

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #25
Site Team

IMHO, yes the Hensley and ProPride are great WDHs. Especially if your tow vehicle is marginal or has a short wheelbase.

But if you have a tow vehicle easily capable of towing the TT, any quality WDH with integrated sway control will work well and do it safely..
No need to spend $2500 for a hitch.

But if you've got money to burn, by all means, get one cause they are great WDHs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Not to disrespect what you just stated but, I believe its the other way around? I'm one who has had both the EQ and now have the Propride 3P 1400. I have done a lot of research on this forum and others pre and post of my personal decision to switch to a Propride hitch. I really do not remember anyone from the "Propride/Hensley camp" insisting all others were "wrong/foolish"?

In fact, most of those that get all worked up are on your side, and for no reason other than you are happy with what you have and how well it works for you. Of most of the pro Propride/Hensley folks that have submitted their personal experiences seem to be towing with 1/2 ton trucks (like me and my 2016 F 150) that I'm sure are pushing the limits of what they can safely handle .

Most have come to the Propride/ Hensley looking for a safer, better solution for handling what they own. If what we state is true and based on real world experience, why in the world are you so upset about this?

I also see that some of the folks perfectly happy with their Equalizer hitches have 3/4 ton (or higher) trucks, like yours. Of course there will be a difference in the towing experience! Doesn't make any more right or more wron than anyone else...
Just my 2 cents....
Zak,
I have read your posts, where you are not only describing your valid experience, but you chastise the original poster, calling for them to 'please do your homework', and buy the Propride, before they have even tried another option that would likely yield a great experience like the rest of us. Very few people complain about others recommending the Propride. Our complaints come when you imply that just because you had a bad experience with another hitch, that other will as well, and might as well skip any other options, and pay 4-5 times the price. It's not a fair position.

Again, if you can't get a particular rig to be stable, then these more expensive options are likely worth the price by avoiding a more significant investment in a larger tow vehicle. But my recommendation that someone at least try an Equal-I-zer (Blue Ox, etc) before investing $2500...is not an attack on the Propride. It's simply being smart about money.

A 1-ton pickup would do a better job towing a 5000 lbs trailer than a 1/2-ton. That's just a fact. But I would not recommend that someone go out a purchase a 1-ton Silverado for such a task, when the 1/2-ton does the job for so many others. And that's not an attack on the 1-ton, or those that use them. It's just common sense.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Zak,
I have read your posts, where you are not only describing your valid experience, but you chastise the original poster, calling for them to 'please do your homework', and buy the Propride, before they have even tried another option that would likely yield a great experience like the rest of us. Very few people complain about others recommending the Propride. Our complaints come when you imply that just because you had a bad experience with another hitch, that other will as well, and might as well skip any other options, and pay 4-5 times the price. It's not a fair position.

Again, if you can't get a particular rig to be stable, then these more expensive options are likely worth the price by avoiding a more significant investment in a larger tow vehicle. But my recommendation that someone at least try an Equal-I-zer (Blue Ox, etc) before investing $2500...is not an attack on the Propride. It's simply being smart about money.

A 1-ton pickup would do a better job towing a 5000 lbs trailer than a 1/2-ton. That's just a fact. But I would not recommend that someone go out a purchase a 1-ton Silverado for such a task, when the 1/2-ton does the job for so many others. And that's not an attack on the 1-ton, or those that use them. It's just common sense.
Never meant any of my posts on this subject to "chastise" anyone? It is the contrary I see on this forum about folks that don't own a 3/4 ton or higher truck. All I've ever said (from the beginning) was first, here is my personal experience (with both types of hitches on the same rig),
second, do your own research (instead of me taking up all the air in the room giving every single detail of my experience). Again, I thought I had done my research for more than a year, I did not do it well enough with regards to the hitch. That cost me a marginal to scary towing experience plus the loss I took on the Equalizer hitch.

In a nutshell, I had reinvented the wheel instead of learning from other on this and other forums. I also pointed out the strong opinions from you and others who have never towed or owned both. Simply put, not credible up against real world experience...
Old 05-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #28

Most people have never towed with both because it was not necessary to buy a Propride. I would like to hear more about your bad Equal-i-zer 4 point experience. How many miles you drove, who set up the hitch, did you torque the socket bolts to spec, was that your first TT towing experience, etc. There are dozens of happy EQ campers on here and you are way in the minority. I am glad you like your Propride, but how much experience did you really have with the EQ? Just trying to figure out why your experience was so far outside of the norm.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Most people have never towed with both because it was not necessary to buy a Propride. I would like to hear more about your bad Equal-i-zer 4 point experience. How many miles you drove, who set up the hitch, did you torque the socket bolts to spec, was that your first TT towing experience, etc. There are dozens of happy EQ campers on here and you are way in the minority. I am glad you like your Propride, but how much experience did you really have with the EQ? Just trying to figure out why your experience was so far outside of the norm.
My experience started last year with my new truck, new tt, new equalizer 4p. AS I had stated several times before, there is nothing wrong (nor have I ever inferred) with the Equalizer hitch for those that have had no issues.
I have always stated that my personal issue had everything to do with my truck with P rated tires/TT combination. Light, powerful truck, heavy and long TT. After confirming with my dealer that the hitch was set up per spec, I continued to tow last fall. Took an instate trip (200 miles round trip) with about 1/2 interstate. Other than the sudden shift in the rig when a crosswind would hit at any speed above 40 mph, the faster the speed, the more unstable it got. Loaded/unloaded, didn't really change.

I started google searching anything I could to find about my situation and to figure out if I had made a a very expensive mistake with my truck. I understand mechanical things and the common sense about swapping tires, adding airbags etc.. After reading several posts about the Hensley/Propride hitch (on this, Airstream, Ford F150 forums etc.) I decided to get the Propride 3P 1400.

Once I installed (with several calls during installation to Sean from Propride)and took it out on some two lane/55 mph roads near my home. The positive difference was almost to good to be true! I truly went to one handed towing even on some curvy, hilly 55 mph roads. I have since had several trips on both freeways and back country roads and still as stable as advertised. Like I had stated in past posts, I will get heavier walled tires once the OEM, P rated junk wears out. If I feel I need more stability with more weight added to the bed, I may add airbags?

There are many reasons for many situations with unstable towing on this forum, what I noticed was there were several closely related to mine. Light tow vehicle, heavy long TT. My input was always based on my personal experience. I do seem to get questions and concerns from those (like yourself) and when they describe their rig, they usually have 3/4 ton trucks?
There are many like me (who have owned 3/4-one ton dually diesels) and now have no desire to drive every day. I love the way my 2016 F150 4X4 SC 2.7 Ecoboost drives for my daily driver. I may tow up to 10% of the miles I accumulate. This hitch solved many (possibly expensive) issues for me like going back to the dealer, getting a 3/4 truck (that I don't want to drive every day and won't fit in my garage), taking a beating on the first year loss as well.

These Hensley/Propride hitches are amazing for people like me..

Sorry

P.S. The squeaking, crunching loud sounds of the friction bars on the Equalizer are completely gone as well..
Old 05-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #30

Sway control

Sorry? Don't get that one. I had to completely disassemble my hitch and reinstall after I got home. My dealer knew squat about the E4 and didn't even follow the directions. Most have found dealer installs are lacking. I would still like to know whether the socket bolts were torqued to spec since that is where the sway control comes from. If they are not tight, as in it is hard to move the bars back and forth then you basically have no sway control. If they are too tight, then handling issues arise. Doesn't matter at this point but if you were trusting your dealer to tell you it was set up right that may explain everything.

I had some noise with mine the first season, but nothing the past five.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Sorry? Don't get that one. I had to completely disassemble my hitch and reinstall after I got home. My dealer knew squat about the E4 and didn't even follow the directions. Most have found dealer installs are lacking. I would still like to know whether the socket bolts were torqued to spec since that is where the sway control comes from. If they are not tight, as in it is hard to move the bars back and forth then you basically have no sway control. If they are too tight, then handling issues arise. Doesn't matter at this point but if you were trusting your dealer to tell you it was set up right that may explain everything.

X2
2007 Thor Cub 165 hybrid
Husky round bar hitch
2006 Honda Shadow and 13ft canoe in the truck bed
TKPINSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:05 AM   #32

Quote:

AS always, NEVER stated I was an expert at all things towing. Like many (if you look at any posts with any google search about the subject) others, I came to it from personal experience. Not being militant about it, just personal experience with both.

If the Equalizer works for you, great!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Never meant any of my posts on this subject to "chastise" anyone? It is the contrary I see on this forum about folks that don't own a 3/4 ton or higher truck. All I've ever said (from the beginning) was first, here is my personal experience (with both types of hitches on the same rig),
second, do your own research (instead of me taking up all the air in the room giving every single detail of my experience). Again, I thought I had done my research for more than a year, I did not do it well enough with regards to the hitch. That cost me a marginal to scary towing experience plus the loss I took on the Equalizer hitch.

In a nutshell, I had reinvented the wheel instead of learning from other on this and other forums. I also pointed out the strong opinions from you and others who have never towed or owned both. Simply put, not credible up against real world experience...
Zak, you are selling yourself short, my friend!
You did a lot of good research before you purchased the Equalizer, but you have a very unusual experience. You are in like the 1-5% of those who try the Equalizer (or Blue Ox, or Dual Cam) and are not able to get your rig stable. That does not mean you made a bad decision. You made a smart decision, but you got the short end of the odds. 99% of people will not have your experience.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #34

Quote:
I have always stated that my personal issue had everything to do with my truck with P rated tires/TT combination. Light, powerful truck, heavy and long TT. After confirming with my dealer that the hitch was set up per spec, I continued to tow last fall. Took an instate trip (200 miles round trip) with about 1/2 interstate. Other than the sudden shift in the rig when a crosswind would hit at any speed above 40 mph, the faster the speed, the more unstable it got. Loaded/unloaded, didn't really change.
Oops, I hadn't read this post before my last reply.

Zak,
Did you ever check the installation/setup yourself, before you changed to another WDH system? And by "check", I mean measuring the front wheel well height (or weight) before hooking up the trailer, and comparing to after the Equalizer was engaged?
Old 05-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #35
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Zak, you are selling yourself short, my friend!
You did a lot of good research before you purchased the Equalizer, but you have a very unusual experience. You are in like the 1-5% of those who try the Equalizer (or Blue Ox, or Dual Cam) and are not able to get your rig stable. That does not mean you made a bad decision. You made a smart decision, but you got the short end of the odds. 99% of people will not have your experience.
Well a good friend of mine had traded in his dodge 1500 that he has leased and leased a new Ford 150 econ boost with tow options and has nothing but bad experience towing his tt with it. He has been back to the dealer many times to find the issue with the truck as when he had the Dodge the tt towed just great and he just transferred his towing equipment to the Ford and it has been a night mare. He even went back to the dealer and drove another truck similar to the one he had and he said truck handles so much better. He Probably could invest in the pro ride but being a leased truck does not want to invest in the money for that hitch. He will dump the Ford when he can. So here is a case similar to Zak1 with end result new hitch. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #36

Great. So that's 2. And I'm sure there are plenty more. I never said Zak was the only one. I said he's in a low percentage.
How many hundreds are there out there, perfectly happy with the performance of their Equalizer, Blue Ox, or Dual Cam, sway control hitches?
Old 05-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Great. So that's 2. And I'm sure there are plenty more. I never said Zak was the only one. I said he's in a low percentage.
How many hundreds are there out there, perfectly happy with the performance of their Equalizer, Blue Ox, or Dual Cam, sway control hitches?
I'm sure what you are saying is true. I know that I am maxed out on the tt weight for the truck. We fell in love with both the truck and the trailer and it was really too late at the point I realized I didn't like the tow experience. Its funny, Sean at Propride says that he sells more for the F150 owners than any other truck. He ( In believe) chalked it up to so many tt owners own the F150? I love the truck when not towing, I now love the truck when towing with my Propride.

Btw, I never dissected the original dealer installation of the Equalizer and by the time I had done my research on the Hensley/Propride hitch, I had already made my decision. I will say to all those perfectly happy with their Equalizer, Blue Ox, or Dual Cam, sway control hitches, great. But I know now they'd probably be happier with the Hensley/Propride. Not to say or justify they run out and replace what they have, just stating if you've never towed with one, you really have no idea how well these are engineered...
Old 05-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #38

Sure. But if you never took the time to ensure your Equal-i-zer was installed properly, you have no idea how truly great a $500-600 WDH can perform.

We can go around and around this circle. My point has never been that the Propride isn't a superior system. It's truly a work of art, when you see how it's virtually changing the pivot point to behave more like a 5th wheel than a TT. My point has only been that in the vast majority of situations, it's cost-overkill. And now that we know you never checked your Equalizer's setup, I can say that you may not actually need the Propride for your F150 either. Dealers are notorious for improper setups, and even if proper, the trailer is not loaded for camping.

But now that you have it, enjoy it.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #39

Just about every WDH setup I see is using undersized bars. Part of the problem is the owner not knowing any better, but the bigger problem is the way the bars are spec'd. For example:

Guy has a 10,000 lbs trailer, so he buys the 10,000 lbs bars, which are rated at 10,000 lbs trailer/1,000 lbs tongue weight. Fully loaded, the tongue weight as around 1,500 lbs.

If the WDH was never setup correctly to begin with, the owner ends up blaming the hitch for poor towing experience.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Sure. But if you never took the time to ensure your Equal-i-zer was installed properly, you have no idea how truly great a $500-600 WDH can perform.

We can go around and around this circle. My point has never been that the Propride isn't a superior system. It's truly a work of art, when you see how it's virtually changing the pivot point to behave more like a 5th wheel than a TT. My point has only been that in the vast majority of situations, it's cost-overkill. And now that we know you never checked your Equalizer's setup, I can say that you may not actually need the Propride for your F150 either. Dealers are notorious for improper setups, and even if proper, the trailer is not loaded for camping.

But now that you have it, enjoy it.
X2

Especially the point that a dealer can't fine tune a hitch to your truck and trailer without both being loaded for a trip.
2007 Thor Cub 165 hybrid
Husky round bar hitch
2006 Honda Shadow and 13ft canoe in the truck bed
TKPINSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway