Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #21

Thanks for the input, everyone. Our TT does have torsion axles, that was a big consideration while searching for TT's. After much research and consideration, i think i'm going with the e4. It will probably end up costing me a few more $, but i'd rather be safe then sorry.

Thanks again to all.
campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #22

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I can give you this much info. We have a 2010 F-150 with the 4.6-L engine. It was what was put into the Mustang. I opted for the 4.6-L VS the 5.0 because of fuel when we were not pulling. Our first TT was a 29' North Trail. It was about 7,000# loaded and had standard leaf spring suspension. Our hitch was the 4-point Equalizer with 10,000 bars. We traveled twice to FL with the NT and I added shocks for the second trip. It traveled better with the shocks. We probably drove 8-10-K miles before trading for the Flagstaff. The Flagstaff (29' / 7.000#) has the Tor-Flex independent suspension by Dexter and I have not had time to install shocks. On this past Monday we departed for our 1,000 mile trip to FL. We left on Monday to avoid the bad weather lol. We traveled through some of the worst winds, cross winds and a lot of gusts, rain, lightening etc, etc that I've traveled through in some time and I've never done it while pulling a TT. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Flagstaff traveled. I never felt insecure or scared that i was going to loose it. Some of that traveling was on limited access and 2-lane roads. The TT was very steady. Since I've had both experiences I can compare two different suspension systems and I applaud the Tor-Flex independent axles, even without shocks. When you hit a bump with solid axles it rises and affects the tracking of the opposite wheel. This compounds the suspension issues. Shocks help to dampen the effect but it is still an issue that will effect handling. When we return from our trip I will add shocks and I'm looking forward to the results when it is done and we take our next trip. A good WD hitch is essential and so it sway control but I believe suspension and shocks play a more significant role in the TT handling. Sway control is important but if your suspension reduces the effects of the outside forces that contribute to trailer sway there is less that needs controlled. If your current rig has standard leaf springs then I would without a doubt add shocks ASAP.
JMTCW
TeJay
Great job
Mission, TX
2013-100..2014-180..2015-175..0
genecusano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I have decided to go with the equalizer e4 hitch. If it does not work well enough then I can sell it and look at the more expensive units.
If you take your time and set it up properly, I think you'll be very happy with the results. Good luck and wise choice
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers View Post
Thanks for the input, everyone. Our TT does have torsion axles, that was a big consideration while searching for TT's. After much research and consideration, i think i'm going with the e4. It will probably end up costing me a few more $, but i'd rather be safe then sorry.

Thanks again to all.
If safety is a requirement then you will have only two choices, either a Hensley or a PP3, they don't control sway there just isn't any period, this is not an opinion but a fact.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #25

No sway period with my E4. That is a fact as well.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Any thoughts on which WD hitch and sway control would be best for my set up? My TV is a 2010 F150, 5.4 with 3.55 screw, GVW 7200, 9700 tow capacity. TT is a 2013 Rockwood 8311SS, load should be about 8000-8500, tw should be about 800-900. I know i'm real close on GVW, might have to leave the dogs at home The hitch work is part of the deal we made with the dealer, want to make sure we get what we need instead of cheap stuff.
Husky Centerline works great with our rig, which is similar to yours.
Husky Centerline Hitch

hokiecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #27

I think there is safe and safer. I believe your whole setup comes into play. My Jeep is a weak point. When side wind hit 20 plus miles per hour. I could slow my speed down to be safe. But when big truck would pass at the same time as high winds hit the side of the trailer. I did feel safe at all. So I bought a safer hitch.
I think the cost is high for the safer hitches. But what price do you put on being safe. I was price shopping with my first hitch. I paid for two hitches and learned the hard way.
Might ask how some trailers are doing in a 20 mile side wind in traffic. Most hitches don't do well. I believe it's the setup truck and trailer. The closer you get to maxing out the truck the safer hitch comes into play. food for thought.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #28

I have noting against free trade but why is a business person allowed to be on this site pushing his product and calling every other item cheap. I agree that he does sell a high end product that will eliminate sway before it starts. I do not agree to his slamming all the other product by calling them cheap. He should be banned from the site.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #29

Type of Driving can Eliminate sway

You can eliminate sway by driving at 40 MPH or less. Your set up is not as important if you tow a few hundred miles per year to local campgrounds.
But if you max out your TV and plan to travel several thousand miles per year at Interstate speeds you should consider the higher cost Hensley or ProPride hitch.
Yes, I agree good defensive driving at moderate speeds when going down hills or operating in high winds will also work very well with an Equalizer.
But, if you would like a super safe carefree drive, spent the money.
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I have noting against free trade but why is a business person allowed to be on this site pushing his product and calling every other item cheap. I agree that he does sell a high end product that will eliminate sway before it starts. I do not agree to his slamming all the other product by calling them cheap. He should be banned from the site.

And there you go... with only reading, and not comprehending, what was written we have a winner...

Let me spell it out for you.

The OP used the word CHEAP.

The word cheap is and adjective or an adverb.

Adjective - (of an item for sale) Low in price

Adverb - At or for a low price: "a house that was going cheap"

If you want to project your own ideas of a word, other than the commonly spoken or written English language, I'd appreciate it if you'd not drag me into your world and project that I was slamming anything.

Thank you...

-
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #31

I do believe you have an excellent product. I can see why you would want to promote a product that is so good. You would receive more respect from me if you would just offer a comparison of the different types of sway control. You do not have to use the word cheap to compare your unit to the competition. You do walk a very fine line of not trying to sell your product on this site.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
I think there is safe and safer. I believe your whole setup comes into play. My Jeep is a weak point. When side wind hit 20 plus miles per hour. I could slow my speed down to be safe. But when big truck would pass at the same time as high winds hit the side of the trailer. I did feel safe at all. So I bought a safer hitch.
I think the cost is high for the safer hitches. But what price do you put on being safe. I was price shopping with my first hitch. I paid for two hitches and learned the hard way.
Might ask how some trailers are doing in a 20 mile side wind in traffic. Most hitches don't do well. I believe it's the setup truck and trailer. The closer you get to maxing out the truck the safer hitch comes into play. food for thought.
Well, I think I have decided on the equalizer e4 but I am also all for safety. You mentioned you bought 2 hitches before settling on your current setup. Was one of the 2 an equalizer e4? Do you have first hand experience with the e4? I appreciate your feedback..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiecampers View Post
Husky Centerline works great with our rig, which is similar to yours.
Anyone else have experience with Husky Centerline? This is the line my dealer carries, may be easier then going with an E4 hitch.
campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #34

Today was the first time that I heard the name Husky Centerline, while I have hear of the Equalizer 4-point hitch for several years. The Husky may be great but I just have not heard it mentioned often. Do your on-line evaluation searches, which I'm sure you've done. My dealer didn't sell the E-4 hitches either but that's what I told him I wanted so he got it. You are doing the right thing by asking. Also as mentioned your TV, TT suspension, loading, tongue weight are all factors to consider. I'll go back to what I've experienced. The independent Tor-Flex axle is much, much better than any solid axle with leaf springs. That's just common sense in my book.
TeJay
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Sean is listed as a Vendor Rep of a Hitch made by ProRide and is visually represented by a different colored username. As such a single link to his web presence in his signature block (perhaps the one that explains how his hitch is better than the competition) is allowed.

A reply referencing the signature link in a post is also "allowed."

It is clear he is here to offer the membership an alternative to other sway control options and since it is his product it is not unexpected that he should think that his is the best.

Personally, I have used, and still own, the Equalizer Brand of hitch and think that for most users it is adequate. If you have an longish trailer and a shortish TV, a more expensive option may be what you need.

I, and other Moderators, have reviewed this thread at length and determined that no rules have been broken. The OP did first use the "cheap" word and it was clearly a "quality" reference.

Sean's reply used the same word, but it also clearly referred to price point and not quality "per se."

Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #36

You will probably be fine with a sway-control type hitch vs the sway-eliminator. But being a 1/2 ton vs 3/4 or 1 ton you may feel a little more going down the road than someone with a bigger truck. Really it comes down to the conditions.

I personally have the Reese Dual Cam setup, but I have friends that have the bigger Pro-Pride/Hensley and swear by them. Just have to ask yourself about the $500 vs $2k+. Safety isn't cheap, but for some it's worth it and others, it's necessary.

My personal advice would be to get the sway control unit, see if it works for you, and if not, then save up/step up to the sway eliminating hitch and sell the other one. Might cost you a few bucks extra, but if you don't need the big dog, you just saved a lot of money.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #37

Quote:
Anyone else have experience with Husky Centerline? This is the line my dealer carries, may be easier then going with an E4 hitch.
I have a centerline...Its a heavy hitch be warned. There is good and bad with it and i really dont have anything to compare it to other than my use of the dual cam reese on rental trailers. First off, the price is in line with the other Bar type (ie Equalizer brand name) and it functions very very much the same....square bars that function both as WD and Friction sway control. The diffrence is that the husky uses Charged cylinders under spring tension to provide a constant force to the bars from the reciver end.(See Photo item C)This does however require a little more maint compared to the others out there. The socket ends on the hitch need to be checked for play and shims inserted as the steel wears. My biggest gripe is that the trailer and the TV need to be witin 10degrees to hook/and un hook. You need the alignment to overcome the force of the springs to remove and install the bars. Also as mentioned above the weight of the head is seems like at least 80-100lbs. One other thing that i noticed at the end of the season was the pins that hold the bars in the sockets on te head had noticible wear and it almost looks as if they could actually sheer off. I have purchased another set but it does not sit well with me.

I am going to use it again this season and adjust it a bit to see if i can get a bit better performace out of it. Overall it does its job of helping to control sway but it may not be the best for a bad back or tight camping spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1211dp_04+tow_more_with_sway_control+adjustable_hitch.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	24907  
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #38

Just a little update...after typing this I sent husky an email about the pins holding the bars in place....within an hour i got call letting me know they would send out new trunions and pins today. Didnt ask any questions about when I purchased or if its a warranty issue. A+ for customer service....
Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #39
daydreaming about camping

I upgraded to the Reece Dual Cam system. I read about the Husky but the limitations on being able to hook it up concerned me.

I am curious ryand - why did you choose the Husky over the Reece?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #40

A few reasons....first I like the Bar Type (Centerline, Equilizer and others) over the chains. I used the Dual cam a few times and found myself second guessing the hookup more than on the centerline or EQ types. Second..I found it could be easy to tension one side more than the other.

The above could be definatly addressed with a little more experiance with the dual cam but the major reason was my dealer sold the Husky and not the Equalizer or Dual cam....plus they threw it in at a great price to keep me from going elsewhere for the hitch.