Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #41

this weekend it is going down. I am going to hook up my rv and find a flat spot and make sure I eye ball the WDH.
Little_Dinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #42

Sure bigger truck would help, but I want to make SURE I AM MAXIMIZING MY POTENTIAL WITH MY CURRENT RIG HOOK UP. Thank you ALL for your comments. Great reads for me.
Timothy "little Dinker"
Little_Dinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #43

We tow a 29TE with an '16 F150 up until this year we used the 10K equalizer e4. It has been a great hitch for us, it worked very well on our last trailer, a 26' outback, it work well most of the time for the 29TE. We have been venturing further away from home every year with plans to go out west. Last year on our big trip I spent probably 2k miles white knuckling in windy conditions. It was exhausting. When we arrived at sites I was spent. The wife and kids would rumble off so I could setup the camper in relative peace before planting myself in my chair. We decided something had to change.

We weighed the pros and cons of getting a larger truck, or a propride hitch. Went with the propride. It is a night an day towing experience with the propride vs the equalizer. I can't even convey how much less stress is present.

If you can afford the weight and the cost, I highly recommend the propride. I am still going to upgrade to the F250/350 when it's time for a new truck which will not be until my wife's honda pilot is paid off in about 4 years. I the mean time I would not hesitate towing our setup cross country.

Too many kids, too much debt, not enough booze.
Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandemguy View Post
Being sucked towards passing big truck rigs is due to Bernoulli’s Principle:
In fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's principle states that an increase in the speed of a fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in pressure or a decrease in the fluid's potential energy. The principle is named after Daniel Bernoulli, a swiss mathemetician, who published it in 1738 in his book Hydrodynamics.

Air speeds up between the two vehicles thus reducing air pressure between the two vehicles, thus drawing them together. Since a tractor trailer is likely to be heavier than most RV rigs, the smaller vehicle will be the most affected.
While I don’t doubt Bernoulli's principle is at play here I don’t think it drives what I feel with my 34’ trailer. I say this because when a big rig is doing one of those very slow passes where they end up right next to you for a long time, I feel nothing except uncomfortable being in this risky situation. At that point I tap the brake to stop cruise control and let him pass. I would think with Bernoulli's principle I would feel a continuous pull toward the trailer which I don’t feel.
What I do feel is as described previously. The bow wave of the rig pushes the back of my trailer to the right as he starts to pull forward on my left which gives the truck a quick nudge to the left. When the back of the rig clears my truck I’m nudged to the left into the vacuum behind the rig.
pete100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:04 PM   #45

The feeling of being pushed/sucked around is very normal, and you've had some great suggestions.

My hitch was all out of wack from the dealerships free installation, its a great idea to check that out. They generally just slam it together to get you out of the lot and heading down the road.

My '17 Ram 1500 exhibits the same behavior, largest improvement for my trailering feel was upgrading the tires on my truck. I ditched the factory Goodyear's and installed a full set of General Grabber AT/X's. They ride a little stiffer than factory, but aired at 40 psi it's not to bad. Muchhhh better towing experience. It felt kind of floaty, or squishy, rock solid after the tire upgrade.
HVACGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:10 PM   #46
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACGuy View Post
The feeling of being pushed/sucked around is very normal, and you've had some great suggestions.

My hitch was all out of wack from the dealerships free installation, its a great idea to check that out. They generally just slam it together to get you out of the lot and heading down the road.

My '17 Ram 1500 exhibits the same behavior, largest improvement for my trailering feel was upgrading the tires on my truck. I ditched the factory Goodyear's and installed a full set of General Grabber AT/X's. They ride a little stiffer than factory, but aired at 40 psi it's not to bad. Muchhhh better towing experience. It felt kind of floaty, or squishy, rock solid after the tire upgrade.
The first biggest improvement to make on the Ram is ditching those factory tires! I haaaaated those things on my 2015. Felt so unsure on wet roads. Hated them even more once I knew what good tires were like on it. I got Pirelli Scorpion AT’s on mine and have loved them. Whenever I need my next set I won’t hesitate to get the same line, but I’ll probably go with a 10 ply version instead since I tow now.
BrentD99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equal-i-zer, sway, sway control