Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2023, 04:16 PM   #21

Agreed - I thought about a tongue mounted storage box if needed, but not quite as secure as internal storage - also wonder about moisture in external storage. But that option sure would beat hauling water for weight from my perspective. I only have 1100 lbs CCC which doesn’t sound like a lot. I’m new to camping and hauling 400+ lbs of water for weight sure would not seem like the wisest use of 40% of my CCC limit and fuel economy.,
dblackledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 07:37 PM   #22

I have the same hitch and used to use it with a Sierra 1500 pulling a Mini Lite 2506.

So first, like you I initially had MY RV dealer do the hitch set up. You see many people on forums bashing dealers for the setup. But you have to realize, there is only so much they can do given they are setting things up on an unloaded trailer. There is no way they can know how much stuff you will load, where in the trailer you will load it, how much it weighs or how much stuff you will load in the truck itself. There is no way around readjusting after you get it loaded.

The advice I got on the R6 hitch from my dealer was to use distribution bars one size up from what you think you need. So if you expect a 700# tongue weight, get the 1000# bars, not 800. (They come in 600, 800, 1000,1200). Of course you need to know your real weights as the manufacturers published weights can be fantasy land. For my new Ultra Lite 2608 advertised is 946. Empty, mine weighed in at 914. Loaded, it's 1020 so I'm using the 1200# bars even though the manufacturers advertised weight was less than1000.

Don't turn off the trucks stability control. It accomplishes nothing. It won't help the sway issue but it isn't causing it either.

Where you load things counts, though your options are limited Inn a travel trailer. See: https://youtu.be/nc0ndz92IWY

This is why I never travel with fresh water in the tank. The tank is behind the axles...worst possible place.

Anyway, get your real weights on a scale, get the load balanced and get the hitch set up and you should be fine.
RamManMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:07 PM   #23

What tires on trailer? I have F-150 and will tell you when we got rid of the Castlerock and put Goodyears the difference in sway was considerable.
FreeDivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:18 PM   #24

I tow a 2509 behind an 18 F150. I have an Equalizer E4 with 1000lb bars. The only thing I've change from stock is switching to LT tires. It's rock solid going down the highway.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:52 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDivr View Post
What tires on trailer? I have F-150 and will tell you when we got rid of the Castlerock and put Goodyears the difference in sway was considerable.
I don't think F150s have Castle Rock tires.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I don't think F150s have Castle Rock tires.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
One would hope not
FreeDivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:13 AM   #27

I have a 2018 F150 and I always turn off the sway control, the trailer tows much better. I think the trucks sway control is fighting with the trailers when its on.

IMO LT tires are a must.
hoss10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:21 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss10 View Post
I have a 2018 F150 and I always turn off the sway control, the trailer tows much better. I think the trucks sway control is fighting with the trailers when its on.
IMO LT tires are a must.
Interesting.
The way I understand it is if the trucks sway control is activating you will get a message on the dash. Maybe something else is being done too? Tow mode vs Standard Mode? Speed?
Never have turned mine off as I figure the trucks computer can react faster than me as any driver does I get distracted once in a while and start looking at scenery.

From the owners 2018 manual:

Note: This feature does not prevent trailer
sway, but reduces it once it begins.

Note: This feature cannot stop all trailers
from swaying.

Note: In some cases, if vehicle speed is too
high, the system may activate multiple
times, gradually reducing vehicle speed.
This feature applies your vehicle brakes at
individual wheels and, if necessary, reduces
engine power. If the trailer begins to sway,
the stability control light flashes and the
message TRAILER SWAY REDUCE
SPEED appears in the information display.
The first thing to do is slow your vehicle
down, then pull safely to the side of the
road and check for proper tongue load and
trailer load distribution.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:35 AM   #29

I have a Mini-Lite 2506S. I tow with a Silverado Trail Boss (1500) using an Anderson WDH. No sway, level ride, no problem. You’ve got a great truck and trailer, it’s what‘s in between that’s the issue!
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing..."
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:15 AM   #30

I have a R3 which I have to manually tighten the antisway function. I tow a Rockwood roo and loaded it is approxamately 5500 ilbs. The WDH works great. The R6 as I nderstand is non adjustable but you do have to engage it with the allen wrench provided. The R6 can be backed up with it engaged not the R3.
RonChristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 11:07 AM   #31
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDave View Post
Interesting.
The way I understand it is if the trucks sway control is activating you will get a message on the dash. Maybe something else is being done too? Tow mode vs Standard Mode? Speed?
Never have turned mine off as I figure the trucks computer can react faster than me as any driver does I get distracted once in a while and start looking at scenery.

From the owners 2018 manual:

Note: This feature does not prevent trailer
sway, but reduces it once it begins.

Note: This feature cannot stop all trailers
from swaying.

Note: In some cases, if vehicle speed is too
high, the system may activate multiple
times, gradually reducing vehicle speed.
This feature applies your vehicle brakes at
individual wheels and, if necessary, reduces
engine power. If the trailer begins to sway,
the stability control light flashes and the
message TRAILER SWAY REDUCE
SPEED appears in the information display.
The first thing to do is slow your vehicle
down, then pull safely to the side of the
road and check for proper tongue load and
trailer load distribution.
I can confirm with my truck the sway control worked well on 3 separate occasions with my prior TT. Each time getting the sway under control a little faster then I could. There was a message on the dash, but I was a little too busy to read it.
I would never consider the truck sway control as the primary, but nice to have it when things go bad.

I believe certain makes or years could have an issue, I would suggest everyone to try it and see. If it engages when it shouldn't you should see a message. You could also use an IR thermometer on your truck brakes with and without it, if it is engaging when it shouldn't the brakes will be a lot hotter with it on and you have a truck that shouldn't use it.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 11:39 AM   #32

We are using one of these shown plus a sway bar. (I think both came from Harbor Freight.)

The trailer GVWR is 7685 and the measured tongue weight is 840 lbs, loaded for camping. It took me 3 or 4 times to get the adjustments exactly as I wanted. Height of the ball, down tilt of the ball, number of chain links, etc.

The tow vehicle is a 2011 Chev Silverado 1500 LTZ, crew cab, 4 x 4, 5.3L 6-speed auto, factory tow package, and 20" LTX Michelin tires. The truck GVWR is 7000 lbs.

The CAT scale numbers are; 3500 lbs steer axle, and 3300 lbs drive axle. CAT scale trailer axle weight is 6800 lbs.

Agreed, more truck would be better, but the best I can determine, we are within specs and have a wee bit to spare.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0944.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	496.2 KB
ID:	287050  
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:31 PM   #33

I have no idea if my Expedition's OEM (HD Tow) trailer sway control has ever activated. But maybe that's the point.

-- Chuck
Old 05-13-2023, 08:00 AM   #34

I tow with about the same weights etc as you. I found that running about four inches of water in our tank took all of the sway away. Might give it a try.
Bob
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 08:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR76 View Post
I was also wondering if the sway control was disabled on the hitch. I notice in the literature for the R6 it states that sway control can be disabled if you so choose. I would start there.

I have the same trailer as you (but the Flagstaff version) and tow it with a half ton Tundra. I bought the trailer last fall so I haven't had it out much, but in the highway miles I did put on it, I didn't notice anything too hairy (though I use an E2 hitch). Your F-150 should be perfectly capable of pulling this trailer, so like many of the other posters, I suspect the hitch just needs to be adjusted.

Our trailer is also about the same weight and we also use an E2 hitch. Have minimal sway when being passed. (I do find it easier with about 1/3 tank freshwater added).

Sounds like a hitch adjustment will help.

Tags
2013, 2509s, camper, f150, led, lite, mini lite, rockwood, rockwood mini lite, sway