Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #1

Tail lights on towed vehicle?

Just purchased a 2020 Chevrolet Traverse and am going to tow it with my motorhome! How are you wiring the tail lights on the towed vehicle?
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:07 PM   #2

I don’t know specifically about the Traverse or GM products, but on my Ford Fiesta, I put a six pin socket on front of the car. From there, the tail, brake, and turn wiring is then tapped into the car’s wiring harness using diodes that are sold for this purpose. The diodes isolate the power from the motorhome from that of the towed car.

If there are plug and play options for your Traverse, I don’t know. If you go to etrailer.com, they often have videos (with written transcripts) on how to wire in the lights on a particular towed vehicle. They can, of course, also sell you the items needed to do so.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #3

Check out Roadmaster's extensive documentation on their products: https://roadmasterinc.com/support/manuals.php

For brake light wiring, review this PDF: https://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-1722.pdf

Pics of when I set up our 2012 GMC Canyon for towing; it has a couple images of the taillight diodes, but they don't show the detail needed for installation: https://pbase.com/brucemac/202006toad

I posted a thread on my towing setup:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2369118
Old 10-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #4

Check etrailer.com. When you enter your vehicle year/make/model, some choices for wiring will appear and most include installation videos. You can get some good ideas from the website to DIY if you are so inclined.
tps28ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps28ss View Post
Check etrailer.com. When you enter your vehicle year/make/model, some choices for wiring will appear and most include installation videos. You can get some good ideas from the website to DIY if you are so inclined.
X2 e-trailer very good website.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #6

I used a towmate wireless lightbar on my Ford edge. You turn it on and put it on the roof and away you go. They have different lightbar you can choose from.
Mag99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #7

I second the opinion on the Tow Mate light bars. We are on our 4th toad and have simply moved the magnetically attached bar from car to car.

The wireless sender fits in the 7-way socket.

www.tomate.com

BTW, I once had a battery issue and they sent me a new one immediately under warranty.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #8

It can depend on what you have to do for your specific dinghy vehicle and your acceptance or not of what it takes to hookup and unhook.

Check your Traverse owners manual for the instructions on dinghy towing.

My Acadia dinghy towing instructions are not hard tonperform but some folks might not accept pulling fuses like I do so if you have more than a few steps to prepare for dinghy towing you many not want additional tasks and equipment to carry and setup like light bars. Personally, light bars wouldn't bother me, I am retired and can take my time, but I had my brake and rear running lights activated through diodes as its cleaner and simpler.

You're going to need a supplement braking system too. Some are invisible and require minimal setup and others have to be manually installed each time and setup. I've got the later and the setup only takes a minute, doesnt bother me.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:12 AM   #9

We use the Towmate wireless on our Ford Fiesta as well. We've had it for 1 1/2 years. Works great. All you have to do is plug in the WiFi pigtail in the RV seven pin connector and mount the Towmate on top of the TOAD. It has a very secure magnet base.

No wiring needed and it is portable for "TOAD, the sequel".

2014 Sunseeker 3050s
2011 Ford Fiesta
RBotr01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light