Old 08-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
Tom

Tailgate Pad for E Bike

Last week at the campground I pretty much got sold on E Bikes. Been seeing more and more of them, met this 68 year old lady who was riding around on a Rad Mini foldable and how much she loved it. So I went to the website to think about ordering two but instead for the same price ordered the Rad Rover 5 for me and the Rover Step Thru for the DW. Of course now whenever I am towing the TT I lose the advantage of the foldable option with these beasts. So it looks like I should be able to load these in the bed of my truck with a ramp and then hang the front forks over the tailgate with one of these pads installed. I hope this will work, my bikes are on backorder till September sometime so trying to figure this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thule-gatemate-pro-54-tailgate-pad-.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	235692  
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:06 PM   #2

I have a Rad Rover and love it. Great way to carry it with forks over the tailgate.

Another way would be to get a pair of these:

Fasten to a piece of 3/4" plywood with carriage bolts and put in bed of pickup. This bracket fits in place of the front wheel's axle and clamps in just like the regular "Skewer" that holds wheel in place while riding.

I'm not so sure how firmly in place the front brake disc pads are. Hanging the fork over the pickup tailgate might lead to loss. Don't know for sure as I just carry my Rover in the back seat with front wheel removed. Just fits with zero clearance on each end.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #3
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I have a Rad Rover and love it. Great way to carry it with forks over the tailgate.

Another way would be to get a pair of these:

Fasten to a piece of 3/4" plywood with carriage bolts and put in bed of pickup. This bracket fits in place of the front wheel's axle and clamps in just like the regular "Skewer" that holds wheel in place while riding.

I'm not so sure how firmly in place the front brake disc pads are. Hanging the fork over the pickup tailgate might lead to loss. Don't know for sure as I just carry my Rover in the back seat with front wheel removed. Just fits with zero clearance on each end.
Thanks I also considered this option too. There are a couple of guys on the F-150 forum that carry their E bikes with the pad and claim it works very well. Holds the bikes nice and firm with less bounce than a hitch mounted carrier. This way I can free up more bed space for other items when towing the TT. Probably get a couple of handle bar covers to keep the rain out when transporting.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike