Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #21

I towed a 35'3" TT with my 2006 F-150 Crew Cab. Once the Equal-i-zer was tuned properly, I had no sway and the whole rig felt solid. It took quite a few trials to get that feeling but once there, sway was a non issue. My current rig is 32' (SV-291) and tows the same after a slight readjustment of the Equal-i-zer.

Would I like to have an F-250/F-350 ? sure, does the F-150 do the job safely ? Yes it does. Your 295 is as long as my old trailer and your 2010 F-150 with proper sway control and weight distribution should be able to handle it just fine. I am just not breaking any speed records and I am completely fine with it.

Get a decent sway control/weight distribution hitch and enjoy that fantastic trailer
Goomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #22

On our last TT I started with a Reese and then changed to an Equalizer. I could not believe the differance. I was towing a 28 foot trailer behind a full size van (Ford E350) and actually found less problems driving in the wind pulling the trailer than driving the van on its own. I would not buy a chain type WDH with a sway bar again.

MIke
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:49 AM   #23

I saw a bumper sticker once that said, "Stupid People Shouldn't Breed!" I wish the guys parents that told you the truck wasn't right and the trailer too long for it had read that sticker before they had him!LOL
We have the Reese Dual Cam system on ours, NEVER feel any sway, even when a truck passes either way. I have dropped it off the edge of the road and when I brought it back on the road it did not sway to the other lane.
Get the Reese and enjoy your camping my friend!

PS...I just re-read your post and see the REAL problem...the trailer was actually pushing you trying to get away from the idiocy in Washington DC...Oh I am ssoo bad!LOL

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #24

As already stated, look at your tounge weight. If you have too much "stuff" loaded in the rear of the trailer, and your tounge weight is less than 10 to 15% of the trailer weight, that will cause sway as well. You have to have enough tounge weight for ANY hitch to be effective. Good luck.

2006 Rockwood 8318SS
Hemlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #25

Hensley or Propride are worth their weight in gold I won't pull a travel trailer without 1 or the other installed. The difference is night and day, there is NO sway period. this can't be done with friction type sway controls.
harell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #26

Why buy a Propride hitch? If you are considering a Propride hitch, you have made the decision that towing safety and stability are important to you. That leaves two options to obtain the worry free towing experience, a fifth wheel or a Propride hitch. If you consider that the equivalent fifth wheel costs more than the equivalent bumper pull, buying a bumper pull and a Propride hitch maybe less money overall.

In my situation, for about $1,500 less than an equivalent fifth wheel, I can have a stable towing experience with a bumper pull and Propride hitch. I also get the advantages of a bumper pull trailer; wide range of tow vehicles options, selection of more trailer floor plans, lower clearance height and more flexible loading options.