Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
I giggled a little bit when they showed some guy going at it with a saws all. Of course that's not going to defeat it. An angle grinder and a few cut off wheels would. That would defeat just about any lock for that matter. I do like the design, and it would be super simple to throw one together if you have any experience with metal fabricating. It just a fabricated hasp with a standard puck lock similar to this;
Attachment 140435
I cant speak for the standard Industries puck lock, but I do have a couple of Master puck locks and they are extremely simple to pick.
Im with CowRacer, Its all about motivation. I don't use a lock just because I know how easy they are to defeat. Im lucky enough to live in a decent neighborhood and know most of my neighbors. I keep mine in inside a gated area in my backyard. There's the fence gate, and a motion light, and that's about it. But it is only a few yards outside my bedroom window so if anyone is prowling around back there, I'll usually know it.

Yeah, I forgot about a grinder. That will get anything off... although a bit noisy.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

If a thief wants your stuff bad enough, there is nothing in the world you can do to stop him.
Door locks on cars are a prime example. The casual, unmotivated thief will try the door in a parking lot and if its locked, will move on quickly to the next.

Tim
I have a buddy that bought a 1995 Geo Tracker, brand new, right out of high school. He had that truck broken into about a dozen times, and after the second time he had to have the soft top replaced, he just started leaving his doors unlocked. Because every time he locked them, they'd slash a hole through the top, reach though and unlock the door. He said it was far cheaper to replace a stereo, and a few cd's than having to pay his insurance deductible once.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #23

About a month ago, I found that someone tried to steal my trailer from my gated storage facility equipped with security cameras...

Not sure what they were thinking, but I have the florescent yellow style tongue lock which was untouched. They managed to unbolt all three tongue jack bolts, dropping the tongue to the ground and pulling out the jack wiring.

I agree its all about motivation level. My lock pretty much keeps honest people honest and its not like I have a high-dollar RV. WTF?

GAWRF: 3900 GAWRR: 4100 GCWR: 17,000
Payload Sticker: 1,867 lbs Tow Capacity: 11,767 lbs
Towing a nice 5th wheel near you
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2kamp View Post
About a month ago, I found that someone tried to steal my trailer from my gated storage facility equipped with security cameras...

Not sure what they were thinking, but I have the florescent yellow style tongue lock which was untouched. They managed to unbolt all three tongue jack bolts, dropping the tongue to the ground and pulling out the jack wiring.

I agree its all about motivation level. My lock pretty much keeps honest people honest and its not like I have a high-dollar RV. WTF?
maybe their target was your electric jack, not the trailer, and they got scared away before they could complete the theft ....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #25

Could be. Or maybe they were trying to get the jack up and away to be able to chain drag it away and got scared away before the could...
GAWRF: 3900 GAWRR: 4100 GCWR: 17,000
Payload Sticker: 1,867 lbs Tow Capacity: 11,767 lbs
Towing a nice 5th wheel near you
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I just completed an order for this one, I like that it locks up the chains as well, ....
had my bike stolen off my trailer bike rack about two months ago and now can see theft opportunities just about everywhere, .......
if nothing else, a quality lock gives peace of mind, ....
received my new Proven Industries lock this afternoon, .... this is indeed a quality lock, really like the ability to lock the chains, ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0607.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	141120   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0604.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	141121  

Old 06-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

An 8' log chain will render all the locks useless, regardless of whether they cover the entire ball socket. A 4" grinder with a cut off wheel will remove the cover also.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
An 8' log chain will render all the locks useless, regardless of whether they cover the entire ball socket. A 4" grinder with a cut off wheel will remove the cover also.
OC, you can certainly do better than that, .... that's so elementary, a sixth grader knows that stuff, .... I'm surprised you didn't go with something more adult like the Sikorsky CH-53 with 8,000lb. payload capacity and about 300' of cable and chain, .... or maybe a 10 ton forklift with blade extensions and a 30' flatbed trailer, .....

yes, there's always a way to defeat whatever security step that has been taken, so I guess I've done EXACTLY LIKE YOU, .... I've now stopped at the level of security that SATISFIES ME, .... I knew the naysayers would jump in on this one, I just didn't know you would lead the parade ...... happy trailering ......

Old 06-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
OC, you can certainly do better than that, .... that's so elementary, a sixth grader knows that stuff, .... I'm surprised you didn't go with something more adult like the Sikorsky CH-53 with 8,000lb. payload capacity and about 300' of cable and chain, .... or maybe a 10 ton forklift with blade extensions and a 30' flatbed trailer, .....

yes, there's always a way to defeat whatever security step that has been taken, so I guess I've done EXACTLY LIKE YOU, .... I've now stopped at the level of security that SATISFIES ME, .... I knew the naysayers would jump in on this one, I just didn't know you would lead the parade ...... happy trailering ......
Just trying to point out that no matter what you do, a determined thief can defeat even the best security device. Why spend a lot of money when a simple padlock will work just as well.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #30

Lots of talk about the hitch, but not much about the wheels...

I just use a hitch lock on mine, but I park it in a storage facility with people and cameras on site and locked gates at night.

If you are in a more vulnerable location then I would add in a locking mechanism on both sets of wheels. Could be as simple as a heavy duty braided cable going through the 2 wheels to prevent them from spinning.

Again, its not foolproof, but it'll slow them down and they will move on to some other victim.
mkosu04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent