Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2024, 12:30 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Can't believe I might get an oil burner.
Same here. Getting a 1500 with the baby Duramax. Never thought I would, but lots of good reviews on YT.
__________________
2024 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 3.0L Duramax 10 Speed 3.73 Max Trailering Package (On order)
2018 Freedom Express 192RBS
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 10:05 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Loveland, OH
Posts: 1,299
Just went and looked at the truck to measure the unloaded bed height. It 2" lower than my current truck so, yeah!

Holy crap! The truck is immaculate. Sat inside and played with all the goodies. Massaging seats in a super duty truck? That's nuts. My current truck is a work truck trim and this Platinum is as nice as my wife's BMW X3M. Couldn't test drive it because it was getting serviced. I built the truck on the Ford website and it would be $94k new. $59k is still ridiculous but the new XLT 7.3L gasser I built with the basics I wanted was $64k.

Any thoughts on an extended warranty? They don't do CPO but do give me a 6 mo / 6000 mile warranty.
__________________
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 4x4 CC SB
2021 Salem Heritage Glen 290RL > GenY
1600W solar > 8400Wh LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 07:53 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Nice CCC for a loaded oil burner. I'll take it.
Corn18, is that an SRW? With that payload I would expect that to be a DRW. The picture looks like a SRW.
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 08:52 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Loveland, OH
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by datadr View Post
Corn18, is that an SRW? With that payload I would expect that to be a DRW. The picture looks like a SRW.
SRW. It likely has not had the recall done that replaces the sticker with the actual CCC of 3977.
__________________
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 4x4 CC SB
2021 Salem Heritage Glen 290RL > GenY
1600W solar > 8400Wh LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 06:53 AM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
Thanks, Corn18. That's a beauty - we're looking at upgrading to the 7.3 in the near future.
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:07 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Loveland, OH
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by datadr View Post
Thanks, Corn18. That's a beauty - we're looking at upgrading to the 7.3 in the near future.
I have been reading a lot on 6.7 Powerstroke and now I am getting a bit scared. I thought the maintenance was a lot more for an oil burner, but it turns out on these new ones it really isn't a lot more. Some more, but not a lot more. But the dang CP4 high pressure fuel pump is a disaster waiting to happen. If it goes, I'm out $17k in repairs. So, do I put in an S&S disaster prevention kit for $400 plus the cost of install? Do I replace the DP4 with a DCR for $3k? Do I get an extended warranty for $3400? Has me second guessing myself.
__________________
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 4x4 CC SB
2021 Salem Heritage Glen 290RL > GenY
1600W solar > 8400Wh LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:41 AM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I have been reading a lot on 6.7 Powerstroke and now I am getting a bit scared. I thought the maintenance was a lot more for an oil burner, but it turns out on these new ones it really isn't a lot more. Some more, but not a lot more. But the dang CP4 high pressure fuel pump is a disaster waiting to happen. If it goes, I'm out $17k in repairs. So, do I put in an S&S disaster prevention kit for $400 plus the cost of install? Do I replace the DP4 with a DCR for $3k? Do I get an extended warranty for $3400? Has me second guessing myself.
That's what pushed us to the 7.3. Good old-fashion pushrod engine. The diesels are solid engines, but the emissions and other supporting components (like the fuel pump) can be high ticket items. We tend to keep our vehicles for a long time - our 2013 F150 Ecoboost has 180K on it now and it's time to be rid of it. Great engine, but it's complex with the dual turbos and all, and it's starting to cost 3-4k a year to keep it running. I can't imagine being 8+ years down the road in an oil burner and having a 12K repair bill.

That said, there are plenty of folks that have great luck with them and if you don't plan to keep it long-term, you will probably be fine. You do get a 5 year/100K mile powertrain warranty on it, so there is still some left on that.
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:41 AM   #28
llr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I have been reading a lot on 6.7 Powerstroke and now I am getting a bit scared. I thought the maintenance was a lot more for an oil burner, but it turns out on these new ones it really isn't a lot more. Some more, but not a lot more. But the dang CP4 high pressure fuel pump is a disaster waiting to happen. If it goes, I'm out $17k in repairs. So, do I put in an S&S disaster prevention kit for $400 plus the cost of install? Do I replace the DP4 with a DCR for $3k? Do I get an extended warranty for $3400? Has me second guessing myself.
I would only consider a diesel if I lived in the mountains, do to the engine brake. Not concerned with the 7.3 gas for occasional mountains. It is interesting, per my salesman and posts on ford-trucks.com that many light duty truck fleet operators are going back to gas. If I bought that truck I would get the Ford extended warrantee.
__________________
2024 Artic Wolf 3018 Suite 5th Wheel
Prior TT Grand Design 2800BH TT 2021 - sold 4/24
Prior TT 2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS Classic Ultra lite - SOLD 5/21
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:52 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Loveland, OH
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by datadr View Post
That's what pushed us to the 7.3. Good old-fashion pushrod engine. The diesels are solid engines, but the emissions and other supporting components (like the fuel pump) can be high ticket items. We tend to keep our vehicles for a long time - our 2013 F150 Ecoboost has 180K on it now and it's time to be rid of it. Great engine, but it's complex with the dual turbos and all, and it's starting to cost 3-4k a year to keep it running. I can't imagine being 8+ years down the road in an oil burner and having a 12K repair bill.

That said, there are plenty of folks that have great luck with them and if you don't plan to keep it long-term, you will probably be fine. You do get a 5 year/100K mile powertrain warranty on it, so there is still some left on that.
The powertrain warranty is 5yr/60000. The diesel warranty is 5yr/100000 but does not cover the fuel system. The Ford extended warranty does cover the fuel system and injectors so that would be a smart add for me.
__________________
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 4x4 CC SB
2021 Salem Heritage Glen 290RL > GenY
1600W solar > 8400Wh LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
truck

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.